ABW Ambassador
    Since when do we need permission to 'View Public Member Profile' ?

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko changed something in the last day or two, for reasons unknown.

If we can still send private messages to each other I haven't figured out how.

I am not impressed.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    yaaaaaaaa
    that too

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Adam and Elisabeth,

Haiko posted here that he made changes in some security settings in order to protect members info. Personally, I appreciate the move considering everything right now.

I seem to still be able to send PM's. If the user is already in the "my contact" page of MyPop, the page comes up fine to send a PM. If they are not, I can run a search with the user name I want to PM and it comes up. I can then click on "add to my contacts" and then after it is added, click on the link to send a PM.

Hope that helps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    >If you want to be given this access right, contact your administrator and ask for the 'View Public Member Profile'

DONE

Hi Adam, I am not that familiar with computers. I use my sons that he got for Christmas, so I am trying my best to learn..I say that to say this: for those of us who arent computer literate, I do believe that a members profile should be personal and private. I have gotten 7 suspicious mails sent to my E-mail address all because the forum I belong to posts everyones E-mail address in their profile. I opened 2 mails that were addressed to me with just the slightest change in a letter or two so that I didnt notice it until later when I sent it ti TOS..One was called a virus and the other alittle harder to get rid od, my friend had to come over and do it for me, a trojan ? I dont know. Now, I am paranoid and have almost every detection available...Sue...

Hi Susan,

Were you using outlook express? It can be insecure.

I

daynal_@hotmail.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I seem to still be able to send PM's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but reading them could be impossible...

@ Susan-- Yeah, Outlook Express has a "preview pane" virii can activate through. It needs to be set up so that the preview pane doesn't exist. I think I had to change something in the "preferences" of OE to make the change. I also have McAfee anti-virus standing guard in case something tries to sneak by. That has to have its preferences changed to screen OE email (as opposed Outlook [non express], which is the default).

Also this piece of info has saved me much grief: Look for a paperclip next to your incoming mails. That means an attachment is there. If you do NOT expect an attachment with an email, don't open that email!!! Unexpected attachments are usually virii, worms, and other bad stuff. Since viruses can spoof (forge) the "from" line, don't open attachments even if they seem to be from someone you know, until you have verified that they did indeed send one.

Just delete the suspicious emails that don't even appear to come from known sources, and if they SEEM to come from a source you know, I'll repeat it again: Verify that the person really sent an attachment. If they didn't, it's a bogus email. Delete it.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

[This message was edited by Leader on October 06, 2002 at 03:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by Leader on October 06, 2002 at 03:18 PM.]

Hi Icicle, I like that! anyway, no it wasnt that Outlook Express..I was using AOL at the time as my ISP and also for my E-mail..I am new to computers and wasnt aware of all of these things. My son, who owns this computer, never thought to tell me anything about worms, viruses etc., as his friends dont even have any anti-viral protection at all!! They think nothing will happen, but I quickly got Norton Systemworks after that!! My son thinks I am paranoid about this issue and I am..I remember what my friend had to go through to get rid of that trojan, or whatever its called...Sue...

Sue, I think you'll do fine! Paranoia is all the rage these days anyway.

Leaders advice is good no matter what email you use. Just find out what a file attachment icon looks like.

Also, some sites will download nasty things onto your computer without asking you. I saw something like that happening once so I pulled out the modem cable. There are probably better ways, but if in doubt - yank the cable.

I

daynal_@hotmail.com

Hi Icicle, You have a nice sense of humor! But, I will pull that cable out if I see those things...Thanks!! Susan

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Paranoia is all the rage these days anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you’re not paranoid, doesn’t mean that no one is out to get you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Susan, Did you download Ad-aware yet?

Hi, I got the info. about the Ad-Aware and as I explained before, I am new to this stuff..My son insists that we dont need it because these ads will propbably keep coming back anyway. I think different. I believe any and all should be installed if it will help..At the risk of sounding like a fool, I must admit that even their directions are alittle difficult. I have 3 parts of the Ad-Aware to read and deal with and I really dont think I know what I am doing..Any suggestions for beginners like me???? The help would be greatly appreciated...Susan

Run/open adaware.

To the left is a three pane where you can select what portions of your disk(s) you want to scan. Here, make sure all of your harddrives will be subject to the scan.

Click on "Scan Now". If you want you can first click on "Configuration", then the "option"tab, then select "Safe Mode" scan - by doing that you will be presented with a list of spyware found, and you have to confirm what you want to delete.

Delete everything adaware suggests.

Reboot, then run adaware again. If adaware finds leftover spyware, delete it and reboot once more.

You may experience that some programs (like kazaa, but not any standard windows programs) will not work anymore when you have done this.

Added: However, if you suspect you have a trojan/backdoor on your computer, received by mail, that is not spyware. You need an antivirus program to detect and remove it. In you case I would recommend Panda Titanium (not the Platinum edition) sold at $25, which works right out of the box without any need for user intervention at all. Stay away from Norton Antivirus.

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 08, 2002 at 08:27 AM.]

Cellophane, Hi! Why stay away from Norton anti-virus??? I just spent money getting that Norton System Works a few weeks ago!! Plese tell me why one is better/worse that the other..Thanks, Susan

ABW Ambassador
    Susan,

The most important thing you can do is set all of
    your ActiveX to 'prompt' instead of 'enable'.
    The default with Internet Explorer is set to
    'enable', this allows websites to download things
    onto your computer without you even knowing. I
    am not sure how to do this with AOL, since they
    use their own browser. For more information on
    this, go to the following URL:
    http://www.thiefware.com/info/data.set.ie.shtml

Hi Wayne,I took your advice with the settings changes on Internet Explorer, but some of the settings would not change or reset. I tried a few times and they refused. These 2 would not change from enable to prompt no matter what I did-Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting and Run scripting ActiveX controls and plug-ins...The others I managed to change. Now Wayne, did I do anything to mess up my computer by changing some and the other 2 wouldnt respond? I am learning and I am new to all of this. I followed the directions exactly.Please help!Susan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan59:
    Cellophane, Hi! Why stay away from Norton anti-virus??? I just spent money getting that Norton System Works a few weeks ago!! Plese tell me why one is better/worse that the other..Thanks, Susan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're fine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If you already got Norton stay with it. It's not the best, it's detection capabilities are only average, but it's ok.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan59:
    .. but some of the settings would not change or reset. ... would not change from enable to prompt no matter what I did-Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting and Run scripting ActiveX controls and plug-ins...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, you're fine. You can enable those two. No ned to worry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

Hi again Cellophane, I love these names!! Anyhow, its me once more. Which anti-viral system would you suggest?? As I said, I am new and learning, but I keep a notebook of notes to help me just as if I were in a Computers class..With some of the knowledge I have come across here, I wouldnt be surprised if some of you were computers instructors..Anyway, please let me know which ones you think work the best...I thank-you!! Susan..

Hi Susan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    As I mentioned, in your case I would recommend Panda Titanium. Panda is released in two version, Titanium which works almost completely without any need for user intervention, and Platinum, which is more of a standard antivirus program.

You can get it from:
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/titanium/

The unsurpassed antivirus program is Kaspersky from http://www.kaspersky.com. However, the user interface may be a bit too much for unexperienced computer users.

All in all there are about 4-5 programs recommendable, Norton and McAfee are not on my list.

-- Less is more --

Cellophane, I thank you for your quick and helpful replies!! I have a question maybe you can help me with or point me in the right direction..I thought I knew what I was doing and installed or downloaded or whatever the correct terminology is; a Xupiter uninstallation tool..Now, I dont see Xupiter displayed anywhere, but at the end of every log-out from the computer, it says-FSW.EXE.application error, with numbers and also "the memory could not be read" Please terminate the program. That was a few weeks ago, and I have no idea what that means..Can you help?? Susan

Well, now you are in a bit of trouble [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

1. A quick search for "fsw exe" at google didn't return anything useful, however a similar search at alltheweb returned one hit.

FSW.exe is something you have downloaded from FreeScratchAndWin.com, or some other site. The official website seems to try to download the program autimatically. There is no information at the website except a TOS, which says:

"I understand that, by accepting these terms and conditions, bookmarks will be added to my favorites. In order for us to keep this software free we will open advertisements while you surf the web.

To prevent your browser from becoming cluttered when our toolbar is installed, any other toolbars you currently have visible will be deactivated. They can be restored manually through the Internet Explorer "View" menu."

It's spyware.

More information:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/yabbse/in...y;threadid=973

2. Xupiter is also spyware and are more well-known (from wwhat I understand you have already uninstalled it). I don't know what i does exactly, but from what I have read it seems to add a search bar to your browser.

More information:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette.../09212002.html

and here:
    http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8436

You'll find very detailed information of how to get rid of both application at those external pages.

The be short, do the following:
    a) Go to the Control Panel of your computer, Choose Add/Remove programs, and look for any entries of 1. FSW or FreeScratchAndWin, and 2. Xupiter. If you find any, click to remove the programs. Reboot.

b)If you have not already done this, download adaware version 5.83 from lavasoft.de INCLUDING the reference update files (extra signature files). Run it. AdAware will remove Xupiter, not sure about FSW. Reboot, then run AdAware again to verify.

c) To check if FSW is still active, search for the files fsw.exe and loader.dll on your computer. If either is still there, then can do one of the following:

- download the FSW uninstaller from http://freescratchandwin.com/files/uninstall.exe. This is FSW's own uninstaller, so you can't trust it. In fact, I would highly recommend against you doing that, but it's your choice. I haven't checked the uninstaller myself.

- acqcuire the services from someone you know. Follow the guideance in the external "more info" page, that is, manually delete files and registry entries one by one. WARNING: You should not dig around inside the registry if you don't know what you're doing, you may end up with a non-working computer.

Good luck.

Added: The reason why you get an error message is because you have removed some, but not all, of FSW, or because when you installed Xupiter, Xupiter either overwrote FSW or tried to install itself on top of FSW.

Added2: Since it seems that you are having problem with spyware, I would also recommend that you download SpyBot from http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10122138.html . It detects several spyware appz that AdAware misses. But be careful when you remove spyware with this program because it's not as safe to run as AdAware.

Added3: You should be safe in the future now that you have adjusted your ActiveX settings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 09, 2002 at 04:54 PM.]

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread