I just got this email I do not know if it will work maybe somebody who knows more than me about this stuff will post about it but if it will work it will help some people.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Howie
    okay howie this is what i have done to all my pc AGES AND AGES AGO and
    i actually forgot about it it is a neat trick and it
    works so might be the thing for you to do JUST FOLLOW
    THE DIRECTIONS

As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads
    straight for your email address book and sends itself to everyone in
    there, thus infecting all your friends and associates.

This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but
    it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it
    will alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do: First, open your address book and click on "new
    contact" or "new person" just as you would do if you
    were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.

In the window where you would type your friend's FIRST name, type in
    !000 (that's an exclamation mark followed by 3 zeros). In the window
    below where it prompts you to enter the new email address, type in
    WormAlert@yapyap.ca <mailto:WormAlert@yapyap.ca

Then complete everything by clicking add, enter, OK, etc.
    Now, here's what you've done and why it works: the "name" !000 will be
    placed at the top of your address book as entry #1.

This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to
    all your friends. But when it tries to send itself to !000, it will
    be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered
    (WormAlert). If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address),
    the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method: if an email cannot
    be delivered, you will be notified of this in your InBox almost
    immediately.
    Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to
    WormAlert could not be delivered, you know right away that you have
    the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of
    it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Very interesting, have you tried it yet and what where the results.

Cazzie

According to Truth or Fiction, that’s just a rumor. A virus would just keep going down your address book after it hit the invalid entry. And some of these viruses have there own mail servers so that wouldn’t help against them.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The best protection against a virus? AV software always running, preview pane off if you running an email client with that feature, never, never, never open an email with an attachment (even from those you know) unless you are expecting, never open an email from people you don't know, never open an email from those you do know if there is no subject or the subject looks suspicious (email them back first and find out if they really did send it), and always run an up-to-date AV software program. Oh, and I did say always run an up-to-date AV program.

BTW, my AV caught an email this morning with the W32.Sobig.A@mm virus. It was first detected on 1.9.2003, however Norton's live update has been working overtime updating itself daily for the last 5 days or so.

There's also another virus with increase incidences of infection that has been elevated to risk level 3, W32.Lirva.A@mm So be on the lookout.

You can see the latest nasties and info on these at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Thanks you guys, as for BLFH's words
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> never open an email with an attachment (even from those you know) unless you are expecting <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is so true, I got an email from an ex-emloyer, thinking it was about a job for me I opend it and was infected with the ham or something virus. This happened about 5 or 6 weeks ago, it cost me $40.00 to clean it off. It also shut down my Norton AntiVirus program which I had to remove and re-install

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Hello Gordan,

We agree with NewcastleB
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> According to Truth or Fiction, that’s just a rumor. A virus would just keep going down your address book after it hit the invalid entry. And some of these viruses have there own mail servers so that wouldn’t help against them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

& BLFH informative advice.

Our service is attacked virtually each day with virus sends from viewer subscribers and partner services that have been unknowingly infected by a virus agent.

We never open an attached eMail unless we specifically are expecting it from anyone. Even when expected we still pre-scan the file through mail server delivery before even hitting our in box (deletes & sends header info) and our own scanner prior to opening. If a deleted attached file is delivered we eMail a notice to sender and wait for their response. At least 90%+ of attached (un-announced) eMails sent by these individuals never even knew they had sent the eMail because they failed to adequately protect themselves from virus intrusion.

This 1 simple step as part of our entire intrusion security process in itself has saved us massive anguish in allowing possible infection by merely sending a notice to the unexpected eMail sender.

Happy New Year.

DesignerWiz.com Team
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Sorry, but I tried to reply to a message, and I dont see it posted, so I clicked on this arrow.I havent been here in awhile, and things have changed.I really need help with AVSoftware.Which one is safe,good and hopefully within a decent price range?? I have Norton SW2002 and since it has all 5 components, I was thinking of staying with them and getting the NSW2003 version for $29.95,what do you think??!! Friends have suggested McAfee and a few others I cant remember.I downloaded a free one called AVG by Grisoft and it seems good for free!! How is that?? I am not too knowledgable about these things, please help.!!Thank-you!! Susan

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread