I'm not sure where this post should go, but am confident that a Mod will move it if they deem it out of place.

I am in the site building process. I have a fairly broad general category, and several kw's that appear to be money grabbers.

I will define 'demand' as the number of last months hits per Overture's kw database.

'Supply' is the number of sites returned by Google when the kw is searched.

My question: What is the optimal ratio of demand/supply? For example...

kw demand supply

1 795 23
    2 953 7
    3 1,027 135
    7 18,452 7,621
    13 23,790 52,875

Clear to me that 1 thru 7 should be profitable. 13 likely would not. The problem with 1 thru 3 is the low level of searches for the kw.

So the burning question....Is there a rule of thumb that says "a ratio of demand/supply below X will be unprofitable"?

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    Frank
    Welcome to ABW.

Firstly can I recommend that you check all of these keywords again at www.wordtracker.com - they have a free trial you can use to check them. I have found Wordtracker to be much more realistic in terms of demand.

I researched some words at Overture last year. To cut a long story short, Overture said they were searched for around 50,000 times the previous month. Built and optimised a page for MSN. Submitted and got to #1 at MSN. Got 2 or three visitors in the following few days. Re-checked my keywords at Wordtracker and found that it said the words have been searched for 40 times in the last 60 days.

Also, dont exclude keywords (especially if they are phrases with more than one word) because you think there is too much competition. If the demand is ther, build anyway.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As PerfectG pointed out ...do not trust anything said by a firm that is pushing online advertising. Overture is not a SE. It is a keyword advertising agency with a website. I'll also add in they are a Bill Gross IdeaLabs company intertwined with CJ and might be getting partner pressure to interface with sleezebag BHO like gator -Whenu and others.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I knew I could count on you folks!

Wow. What a difference. Overture on kw = 19,365...Wordtracker = 289. And if I read it right, the 289 is for two months!

Thanks Andy and Mike & Charlie.

Back to the drawing board...er keyboard.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread