Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    For all of you with affiliate sites out there, is it a best practice to show prices or to leave the prices off and just have the user click to the merchant's site?

I leave prices out. Then i dont have to update the site so often. When visitor want to know the price of the product, he have to go to the merchants site.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What bbb said.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

What Leader said..

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

ABW Ambassador
    What Ladyboss said

Mad Doctor Gfufy

What Gufy said

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

What SSanf said

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I like being up front with the prices so, if a datafeed of other method of retrieving current pricing is available, I'll provide prices. I don't hard-code them into the pages though.

Of course, I'm still relatively new. Maybe someday I'll agree with what all the others said. Don't know the reasoning though beyond the trouble of updating.

Wayne

What Radegast said!

ABW Ambassador
    Grrr....tanks a lot ... Now you've all got me thinking about this again .

All this time I've been working my little index finger off and putting in that extra tid bit of product info .

I really don't know anymore , and can't say for sure whether most of you are doing the right thing for sales , or just taking the easy way out .

I use prices because I have to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Don't know the reasoning though beyond the trouble of updating.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a nutshell, leaving out one crucial detail, like the price, is a quick 'n dirty way to increase the CTR from a page, which increases the amount of cookies that get set.

The conversion ratio improves a bit, too. This could be because of the cookies, or because people get less sticker shock when on an actual merchant site.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The conversion ratio improves a bit, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leader, how do you know this for sure ? Have you tried it the other way , or are you just guessing on this ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader, how do you know this for sure ? Have you tried it the other way , or are you just guessing on this ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tested it about 2 years ago with a limited selection of products in a few categories (this was back before feeds were available, so putting up hundreds of products to get a huge sample wasn't an option I considered feasible).

The only time I had a better CR with prices listed was when I could show a sale price next to a normal price.

Otherwise, results improved at least a bit without the price showing (and sometimes a lot!). I think it may be because people get less sticker shock when presented with the price at the Official Merchant Site as opposed to "SomeAffiliateSite.com." The higher the price, the greater I found the effect to be.

I’ve tried it both ways, and all I can say is that by removing the price, I tripled my click through rate. That’s three times the chance to convert right a way, and three times the cookies.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

ABW Ambassador
    Leader,
    Okay... the "less sticker shock" point makes sense, and maybe I'm seeing the light here on something else for the first time ???

Do you think that the "price" is a dead giveaway that we are trying to "sell" them something rather than the "no price" alternative , where it could be interpreted as providing "information only " as to where they "may" wish to buy the product if they so choosed to do so themself ?

But does it actually help conversions? If they just click thru and see that the price is too high, or whatever, do you actually convert more? I guess you would have the chance of them grabbing something else that catches their eye. Just curious if you have any numbers for conversions.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But does it actually help conversions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

qball,
    That truly is the only "real" question here, isn't it ? I don't doubt that it will increase click-thrus at all, that's pretty obvious .

BUT, then again ... if that visitor is of the highly targeted kind, looking for that something specific, what are the odds that they are just going to buy "something else" because they caught that tracking cookie , as compared to the odds of having them click-thru for the price check, wind up browsing that store, not finding what they want , and not returning to your site again... leaking perfectly good traffic , as they drift away in search of that darn "thing" they were looking for .

Does the click with "price" help the clicker morph from a targeted visitor into a "dead balls targeted " clicker ?

The world may never know !

So far, the individual item reports at Linkshare are telling me that the only thing I'm selling , are the things I have specifically targeted , with the exception of some additional odd-ball products that went along with the original "targeted" order session .

Lisa--In my case, I don't think it's the "sell" vs. "information" factor. A person would have to be pretty stoned to miss the fact that my pages are 100% advertising! "CLICK HERE to buy a..." it doesn't get much more un-subtle than that!

I think it's just that the Official Merchant Site has more credibility when it comes down to actually getting out the credit card--and the thing most associated with getting it out (besides actually typing in the order) is the price.

Qball--Yes, I got more conversions right away in most cases, plus the extra cookies that are set contribute to an increase in sales over time.

And some people *do* buy something other than what they clicked for. When CJ used to say which product link was clicked on, I would notice that the price of the sold item did not match the price of the advertised item (the prices would be too different for it to be a sale price or somthing like that) a surprising amount of the time.

It wasn't always cheaper things that were bought, either--on rare occasion, some people would click over on a fairly cheap item and then go hog wild, to my delight! Of course, they usually *were* going cheaper instead of more expensive...

As for the numbers, sorry, the exact CR specifics have been long forgotten. Once I had determined whether to leave the price off or not, the exact numbers were no longer important enough to me to hold in my memory for such a length of time.

Our job is to get them to the merchants site so this (not showing prices) makes a lot of sense to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> what are the odds that they are just going to buy "something else" because they caught that tracking cookie , as compared to the odds of having them click-thru for the price check, wind up browsing that store, not finding what they want , and not returning to your site again <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The buying of Something Else depends on the type of merchant site. Some kinds of stores just BEG impulse buys. Gadget Universe was great for that. They bring out the IMPULSIVE KID in people.

As for the second part, the listing/not listing of the price has nothing to do with whether a person will find what they were looking for at your merchant.

And the part about "leaking perfectly good traffic"--A cookied visitor is a customer in waiting. A non revenue generating visitor is a waste of bandwidth and log file space! IMO, the only time traffic is "perfectly good" is when it's BUYING SOMETHING or clicking an AdSense link. Otherwise it is perfectly junky traffic. I'm not getting paid CPM for having indecisive people do their price-shopping on my site and until I am, they can go to the merchant site or bug off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Our job is to get them to the merchants site so this (not showing prices) makes a lot of sense to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That about says it, nice and succinctly too!

I don’t really have any info on conversions right now. I just changed a bunch of pages over this weekend, so I want to wait a while before I come to any conclusions other than click through rate, but here’s my train of thought. You have a few possibilities when it comes to what people are thinking when they get to your site (and these are just my opinions):

1) They see what they want and the price is right – If this product is what they’ve been looking for, I think most would click on the link to find out the price. If you have the price displayed they would probably go ahead and click to the merchants site. No difference.

2) They see what they want, but it’s too expensive – if you don’t have the price displayed, they probably click on the link to find out how much it is. While the page is loading they are already thinking about how they are going to use this product and how great it is. When they find out that it’s a little more than they wanted to spend they might cough up the extra dough. If not, there’s a good chance they will look around on the merchant site and find something else closer to their price range. I’d rather have someone looking for other things on the merchant site with my cookie already in place rather than looking on my site without a merchant cookie. If you have the price, chances are its back to google for them (no reason to click on merchant link).

3) Not what they are looking for (wrong style,color,etc) – They may click just out of curiosity. “This is close to what I want, let’s see how much it is.” Then you have a customer looking around the merchant’s site with your cookie. Might find the right color, style, etc. If you already have the price on your site, they don’t have a reason to visit the merchant, so back to Google.

Like I said, my assumptions could be wrong, and I’m running some tests. In a couple of weeks I’ll know what works best for me, and I’ll post my findings.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

ABW Ambassador
    Okay... now I'm really curious .

I'm going to give it a whirl and take down prices on some pages later on today and see what difference it makes . I'll let you know how it works out

Ya, convinved me too, definately worth trying on a couple dogs anyway, looks like it can't hurt anyway, plus, the added benefit of not having to update unless it's out of stock. What the heck was I thinking...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast