More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have heard that if your link opens a new window, your page can get killed by a pop-up killer. Is this true? It seems like better sense to open a new window (target = new) if you have a lot more stuff to offer on your site. In cases where there isn't more (like single page ad-pages) I set the target frame to the same page.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

ABW Ambassador
    My newer version of IE is set to kill pop-ups but all pages on my sites that open in new windows open properly. Perhaps there are add-ons that kill new windows that open. I wouldn't be surprised if the arrogant so-and-so's at Norton Anti-virus take it upon themselves to decree new windows to be pop-ups and kill them by default.

Wayne

I have removed all of my target blank and target new codes. Yes, many pop up blockers kill these pages. My sales have gone way up since removing them. I hated to do it but with sales going up, it was a good thing to do

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anne:
    I have removed all of my target blank and target new codes. Yes, many pop up blockers kill these pages. My sales have gone way up since removing them. I hated to do it but with sales going up, it was a good thing to do <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you not worry about people going back to your site, then? Or do you figure that they're smart enough to use the back button when they're magically transported to the merchant site? Or do you not care?

Michael

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Anne, how long ago was this? I just did a check of popup killers last night and what I noticed is that the latest essential feature advertised was that they NOT kill new pages that the user clicks on. So, I am thinking that maybe opening a new window is not much of a detriment anymore. I know google's tool bar does not kill new windows. Now that the browsers themselves will intelligently kill pop-ups for free (and not new linked-to windows), this may not be a problem.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

I took an entire section of one site and changed the links to not open in a new window. This change was made this past spring or summer. Since then, I've not noticed any difference in conversions from that section, for better or worse.

This isn't a scientific test by any means, but there's really been no difference at all, which leads me to believe it's not that big of a deal.

Andy

I used (target="top") for several years and recently removed it. There has been a slight increase in conversions but a great increase in traffic from bookmarks - from 11% to 18% in two months. In the long run I'll take the bookmarked traffic.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread