Hi,

i wanted to buy a piece of software and i know 2 website are being an affiliates to it. Let's call it website A and webaite B. I click website A first and a few days later i found out that website B is also an affiliates to this piece of software.

Let's say i go direct to the merchant's website of that software and purchase it. Who will get the comission? Website A or B. Before my purchase, i went to website A first and provided the cookie in my computer of both website A and B has not expired.

Hope anyone can help.

Thank you

Tony

Hi,

If you go to Affiliate Site A, and clickthrough to the merchant site, the cookie will be set on your computer for that Affiliate. Now... if you go to Affiliate Site B for the same merchant, and clickthrough to the merchant site... I am almost 100% sure that the Affiliate B's cookie, will overwrite Affiliate A's cookie.

I am not sure if there are any cookies/programs out there yet, that make it so that the cookie cannot be overwritten by another affiliate.

Hope that Helps,

C.K.

P.S. I re-read your post again, and see now that you actually never did click over from either affiliate site over to the merchant. Just going to an Affiliate's site will not set a cookie on your computer with that affiliates ID.

You have to actually clickthrough to the merchant before the cookie with the ID is placed on your computer.

So if you just went to either of the Affiliates Sites, then left and went straight to the merchant's site and bought a product... Nobody would get a commision... The Merchant would get the full price for the product.

If you indeed did clickthrough to the merchant site from any of the affiliate sites you visited... then read my above post, as it will clarify it for you.

C.K.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thrawn79:
    P.S. I re-read your post again, and see now that you actually never did click over from either affiliate site over to the merchant. Just going to an Affiliate's site will not set a cookie on your computer with that affiliates ID.

You have to actually clickthrough to the merchant before the cookie with the ID is placed on your computer.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not Necessarily, many affiliates open the merchant in a new window or use other tricks for clicks method to automatically set the affiliate cookie without the visitor ever having had to click on anything..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thrawn79:
    Hi,

If you go to Affiliate Site A, and clickthrough to the merchant site, the cookie will be set on your computer for that Affiliate. Now... if you go to Affiliate Site B for the same merchant, and clickthrough to the merchant site... I am almost 100% sure that the Affiliate B's cookie, will overwrite Affiliate A's cookie.

I am not sure if there are any cookies/programs out there yet, that make it so that the cookie cannot be overwritten by another affiliate.

Hope that Helps,

C.K.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I mean that i have already click through, So that's mean the cookie og website B will overwrite website A?.. Are you 100% sure that is how affiliate cookie works? If that is the case, i have to think of a new strategy in building my affiliate website.

Tony

Tony,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tonytony:
    ... i have already click through, So that's mean the cookie og website B will overwrite website A?.. Are you 100% sure that is how affiliate cookie works?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep 100% Sure!

However there is one network (that I know of) that doesn't follow this pattern - www.fusionquest.com they have a 30 day window for cookie setting so with them Site A would get the commission.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread