When I hear that people are building another site, does that mean that the people who are really making the money are building new sites everyday?If so is it a seperate domain and hosting account? When they say new sites, are they just talking about one page sites. Do they just submit each one page site to the engines? Also do most people use the data feeds? I am trying to organize how all this works. So If I can find good affiliate programs that don't rip me off,build one page sites around these affiliate products,submit them(pray to get listed)and some how create new and interesting content,I can make money? Is this possible as a one man operation?

Some of us have a lot of different domains, some just one or two. Some sites have just one or two pages, but most have hundreds. Many have thousands.

A lot of us use datafeeds, but I don't have any idea if it's "most."

A one-man operation can definitely make a living, but it isn't easy, and you'll have to figure out a lot of things for yourself, since nobody wants to give away all their secrets.

Be prepared to put in a lot of time and you can make money.

As miss donna said some just keep adding pages to their one site, one domain - all SE optimized for a specific product or program. But all the things you suggested have been done by successful affiliates.

As for submitting your site, as google states, you do not have to submit your site. Inbound links is how they will find you when they do the "dance".

You owe it to Yourself and Your Family to do the Best That You Can.

I'm not a veteran

If you can work a datafeed a site a day isn't a stretch, unique content on the other hand......

I'm a lazy bastard and only run 2 simple sites right now.. not really making much money but hope I will be soon

I got dizzy when I ran across affiliate marketing and the potential because it sounded right up my alley. Cranked out my first site in about 10 days WHILE re-learning "good" HTML.

Tweaked it since then to a lean mean information(small though and uses adsense) machine and semi successful getting traffic so far.. up to 500 uniques the first 7 days of Jan so far and I launched it around the beginning of October.

Since then I've been working another site much more complex and larger but strictly sales oriented.. still no databases/datafeed sites.
    More modest use of CSS, SSI, with a dab of PHP.

Do what you like and absorb as much info as you can.

ABW Ambassador
    Just like with other things in life most here don't put all their eggs in one basket.

Start of with one site and each site you build should have a targted audience. Sites you build could be a general based shopping mall, a coupon site, a site for childrens clothes or toys, a clothing site for men, women, a site for gamblers, game players, electronics, art or any other shopping category.

First condiser what merchants are available to provide products for whatever your site is.
    Look at the merchants carefully do they pay fair commisisons and have good terms, do they partner with parasites and allow others to take credit for your work? Determine if you'll show products for one merchant or multiple. Next do a quick research on potential queries for the products and do searches.... determine if you have the ability to compete with the major players at the top (either in design and consider pr as well), further research potential terms to target seo wise - also consider how freqently are they searched and is their demand?
    After this and any other refining you've done, now research domain names available - try and find a good one and then buy it, get hosting for it, build the site, submit it to the search engines, maintain it and keep your fingers crossed you did good in your prior analysis. If you did, you'll likely see sales from pretty quick to a couple of months down the road after you get fully indexed and in the search engines. When you're done, "you aint done", review where you are getting visitors "or not" and tweak pages and seo as needed to make improvements (this can be a never ending process, done for a short time or completly avoided), think you're done, nah... go back to step 1 and start all over with a different category.

Some people put more emphasis on traffic of a term than others, I'd rather be in the top ten for something queried 100 times a day with little competition then nowhere to be found in something queried 100000 times a day. But being first in a query done 50000 times a day aint bad either.

The site itself and it's design could be a single page or multiple pages. Reviewing sites of other top players in the category should allow you to set some goals in how to design. Try to offer something that is more appealing for shoppers "on your site" than the others have. Their are basically two mentalities in here:
    1) Build it with the basics only and make as many sites as you can as fast as you can.
    2) Be creative and take extra time in design because people will more readily spend cash on sites that make them comfortable in addition to bookmarking them and coming back to them.

You'll have to determine where you fit between the two extremes above and you don't have to stick with either one, you might end up trying both. Don't like the sound of all this, research ppc and forget building sites, pay for ad's and go directly to the merchants site.

Good luck, but you'll likely need more than that to do good. Learn from the mistakes you make and don't repeat them.

** Have you asked for change? **

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Most of the major points have been covered (Poon, kudos for your almost-unbiased description of different methods ) but I'll put in my 2c as to site size.

First. To me, a site = all the pages on one URL.

Sites may or may not be hosted in the same place. After a certain point, it can get costly to have a different hosting account for each site, so some people go for one of the "bulk" options--a hosting account that allows for multiple URLs, or a dedicated server. I would suggest going for regular shared hosting until you get the nuts 'n bolts down and can be pretty sure you'll make money from almost every site you make. Larger hosting options can be cost-prohibitive until you have lots of sites, especially if those sites aren't going to be profitable for a while. A dedicated server is wonderful (most of the time) but there's no sense in paying XXX.xx/month when you've only got a couple of sites making you money.

I have sites ranging from hundreds to thousands of pages. I did okay with ~100 pages on a site, but when I got ahold of feeds I added a few thousand more pages. How that works out depends on how much interest there really is in the product, whether the pages rank well in the SEs, whether the merchant's any good, etc. Some feeds will start a tidal wave of sales coming in, while others will just sit there and eat disk space.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Thanks For all the great replies. Great advice!
    I was wondering how much programming do you need to know in order to implement data feeds?
    I think of all the hand coding that could possibly be needed. It would be nice for it to be feed automatically. Seems as though it would be less time consuming. I don't mind putting in the time I am online almost 12-14 hours a day now.

Thanks to everyone for replying!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    When I decide I like a specific merchant, I make a point of approaching that affiliate manager, and ask them if they have any ideas for a niche, or a line of products that they sell that isn't, perhaps, being pushed as hard by other affiliates.

Find a niche that has not been swamped with competition, a unique angle or approach, something that will stick in a surfers mind so htey come back.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was wondering how much programming do you need to know in order to implement data feeds?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From none to a bunch. Use "search" as it comes in handy for information on tools, merchants, datafeeds, whatever. Learning the forum and keeping up with whats going on can be a time consuming task but doing things with out proper information can be a complete waste of time as well.

** Have you asked for change? **

All excellent advice so far! Your best bet is to spend some time here just reading. I'm not talking about an hour or two - stay for a while.

Good luck, and welcome to ABW

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

Thanks for all this great information. I realize it must be slightly conflicting to want to help out us new folks, and also to hang on to your secrets. Just so you know, I'll speak for myself, but learning from people like all of you is teaching me more than how to set up sights that will - hopefully - make money. I am also learning HOW I want to do business. And it's clear to me that this forum teaches how to make money ethically. So when I read through 15 pages of a forum on parasites, and people ask, 'where are the supporters out there? who will sign a petition blocking unethical practices?' you should know that the beginners (at least me) are on board.
    thanks again for your help,
    Miranda

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread