Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am trying to find out how to build a SE optimized site. I see lots of references to it, but I have not found out what the criteria is to write a SEO website. Can someone please advise.

Thanks!

Just Lurking
    1. HTML should be valid. http://validator.w3.org/

2. Page title should contain keywords.
    a. Keywords should be prominent in terms of position. Meaning the first word is more prominent than the second word, the second word is more prominent than the third, and so on.
    b. Length should be <128 chars.

3. <HTML>, <HEAD>, <BODY> should have a open and close tag.

4. Use external CSS. Do not use in-line styles.

5. Keywords in the body of the content should be prominent.
    a. Keywords should be prominent in terms of position. Meaning the first word is more prominent than the second word, the second word is more prominent than the third, and so on.
    b. Keywords should be prominent in terms of HTML elements. Use <A>, <Hn>, <B>, <I>, <U>, <strong> to make keywords more prominent.

6. The HTML file should be less than 100KB.

7. Include META tags for keywords and descriptions.
    b. Aviod repeating keywords more than once.
    c. Use about 15 keywords. Do not use commas.
    d. Keywords should appear in the first paragraph of the content.
    e. Description should be about 170 characters.
    f. <META> tags belong in the <HEAD>.

8. If your page uses Javascript be sure to use <NOSCRIPT> tags.

9. If your page uses frames be sure to use <NOFRAMES> tags.

10. If your page uses embeds be sure to use <NOEMBED> tags.

That's some of the things I do, when I have time.

------------------------------
    <I>"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi[/i]

[This message was edited by Buddha on January 10, 2004 at 10:21 PM.]

Buddha, you are a GOD! I have been trying to figure out what this meant and how to go able doing it for a century(it seems like it) now!
    I cannot tell you how much you have changed my day!

Thanks so much!

Buddha,

2 quick questions.

1. No commas in the keyword meta? I have seen this for both sides. Can you provide more info on why you think no commas is better than with comma.
    2. can you elaborate on how this should be setup [edited out NOSCRIPT tag - causing ABW errors] I am wondering if all my jv scripts need this setup.

Thanks in advance Buddha!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Site: ADS-Links.com

[This message was edited by Akiva on January 11, 2004 at 02:13 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    All good advice Buddha gave.

As far as the commas in the meta keyword tag, i would use them. Most SE's don't even bother with the tag but Inktomi recommends commas:

"Q: What's best to do with the Keywords meta-tag?
    A: This line is not as important as is commonly believed. Put phrases that relate to this page in the Keywords line, separated by commas. Don't bother including very common phrases, such as "expert" or "rock and roll". The Keywords line should always be tailored for the particular page; if it's the same for every page on your site, you are really better off not using the Keywords line at all. Don't overload the Keywords line; as a rule of thumb, if you're putting things in the Keywords line that aren't in the rest of the page, you're probably putting too much in."

http://www.inktomi.com/products/web_...policyfaq.html

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ EYIProducts:
    1. No commas in the keyword meta? I have seen this for both sides. Can you provide more info on why you think no commas is better than with comma.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If a search engine is going to index the text most likely they are going to strip those commas anyway. So why waste those extra characters? If a search engine does index it, it will most likely be a full text index minus waste. So the keyword phrases will be preserved.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. can you elaborate on how this should be setup [edited out NOSCRIPT tag - causing ABW errors] I am wondering if all my jv scripts need this setup.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If your using a Javascript menu you can include a HTML menu between &lt;NOSCRIPT&gt; ... &lt;/NOSCRIPT&gt; tags following the Javascript menu. Don't know the ABW error? Along as you have Javascript on the page there's no reason not to take advantage of &lt;NOSCRIPT&gt; tags those with disabilities may even appreciate it.

"If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    All good advice Buddha gave.

As far as the commas in the meta keyword tag, i would use them. Most SE's don't even bother with the tag but Inktomi recommends commas:

"Q: What's best to do with the Keywords meta-tag?
    A: This line is not as important as is commonly believed. Put phrases that relate to this page in the Keywords line, separated by commas. Don't bother including very common phrases, such as "expert" or "rock and roll". The Keywords line should always be tailored for the particular page; if it's the same for every page on your site, you are really better off not using the Keywords line at all. Don't overload the Keywords line; as a rule of thumb, if you're putting things in the Keywords line that aren't in the rest of the page, you're probably putting too much in."

http://www.inktomi.com/products/web_...</BLOCKQUOTE>I suspect the commas don't matter with Inktomi either. It still going to be looked at by a program and not a human. Program is going to know these are keywords. No fancy programming needed.

And from the same page you refered to:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Inktomi's Web search is not keyword or keyphrase based ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That pretty much says it all. They may use the keywords but they are most likely not braking those comma seperated values apart for storage. AFAIK it's a 50/50 split on weather it matters or not. IMHO they are stripped and use as a scalar.

If anyone knows a penalty is applied for not using commas with Inktomi I would like to hear about it? Inktomi has become a lot more important in the last few days.

"If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by New Orleans Rookie:
    Buddha, you are a GOD! I have been trying to figure out what this meant and how to go able doing it for a century(it seems like it) now!
    I cannot tell you how much you have changed my day!

Thanks so much!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes a little God with horns and a pointy tail according to my mother. She should know!

Those were just some general guide lines and as Trust points out search engine may have their own idiosyncrasies that you may want to take into consideration. You discover those as you go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If your using a Javascript menu you can include a HTML menu between <NOSCRIPT> ... </NOSCRIPT> tags following the Javascript menu. Don't know the ABW error? Along as you have Javascript on the page there's no reason not to take advantage of <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> tags those with disabilities may even appreciate it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Buddha, I am lost, mind giving me an example?

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

In order to keep things working, you need to close your NOSCRIPT tags. - Akiva

[This message was edited by Akiva on January 12, 2004 at 02:56 PM.]

Folks: When posting please make sure to close your NOSCRIPT tags or your post will mess up ABW. Thanks!

Buddha makes some very good points.

I would like to add to what he said… I hope I don’t repeat too much.

A word count from 5 to 7 is suggested in the tittle area. In the tittle your keyword should be at the beginning, not at the end. This is called keyword prominence. Search engines assume that the words at the beginning of the tittle are the most relevant. The title is very important and is what appears on the search results as the header for your site listing. Make it interesting! You want to get click throughs because that is how you move up on the search engine rankings.

Good: Widgets for Sale
    Best: Widgets! Largest Variety. Supplies Are Limited. (Best because the keyword count is between 5-7. The keyword prominence is high. You have a trigger to get the click…. Largest Variety & Supplies Are Limited. )

Word count for the body text (body text word count) ideally should hover around 480. Every search engine has its range. For example, Google will penalize your ranking if you don’t have between 458-656 while All-The-Web wants between 292 and 498. They are all different so you have to find a happy median. LOL!

Keyword prominence in the body text is important. You want the keywords to be closest to the beginning of a paragraph or tittle.

Your keyword ideally should appear between 4-10 times on the page, depending on how many words you have on the page. Use it too many times in relation to the word count and the search engine may flag you as a spam site.

For the page as a whole a total word count (page word count) should be somewhere around 500-600 to make most of the search engines happy.

In the meta keyword area try to use no more then 20 words and do not repeat a keyword. The keyword that best describes your site and is used most frequently in the body text should be the first one listed.

I hope this helps.

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    A dozen posts and no one has mentioned link popularity, anchor text or PageRank. I despair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good: Widgets for Sale
    Best: Widgets! Largest Variety. Supplies Are Limited. (Best because the keyword count is between 5-7. The keyword prominence is high. You have a trigger to get the click…. Largest Variety & Supplies Are Limited. )

Word count for the body text (body text word count) ideally should hover around 480. Every search engine has its range. For example, Google will penalize your ranking if you don’t have between 458-656 while All-The-Web wants between 292 and 498. They are all different so you have to find a happy median. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, this is all wrong. Sorry, but it is.
    If you are targeting the one word phrase 'widgets' then the first one is best from an SEO perspective.

Secondly, Google will NOT penalize you if you don't have between 458 and 656 words on your page. Where are you getting this from ? I have a former client that still ranks well for several phrases on a page with maybe 30 words maximum. I also have lots of other sites that have no where near 458 words and they all do just fine.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Google will penalize your ranking if you don’t have between 458-656 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have lots of pages in the top ten with probably under 30 words on the page and those are just site naviagtion links which appear on every page on the site.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Lots of free advice here - who is right?
    (Rhetorical question)

Hehehehe...

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

Just Lurking
    Ian, I probably couldn't give an example without screwing up the topic agian. But I did find a good example:

http://www.consideration.org/technol...ormsample.html

Even give instruction on disabling scripting.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    A dozen posts and no one has mentioned link popularity, anchor text or PageRank. I despair.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmm.. I did mention anchor text (enpassing) but was focusing on the page so link popularity and PageRank were not mentioned. Link popularity and PageRank are easy to achieve if you have good c*ntent. If your c*ntent sucks then hire Markymark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    Also, this is all wrong. Sorry, but it is.
    If you are targeting the one word phrase 'widgets' then the first one is best from an SEO perspective.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree.

No search engine will ever penalize you for having too much content. Though they may not index it all.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Lots of _free_ advice here - who is right?
    _(Rhetorical question)_

Hehehehe...

Fred

_Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?_
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Back to the comma question. I've tried pages with and without the commas in the Keyword Meta Tag. I've seen better results with the commas and no spaces between keywords. My theory is that if you use keyword phrases rather than single words, the commas help distiguish the phrases from each other.

I also agree that you shoudn't repeat a keyword or phrase more than once in the Metatag. But, if you're using a combination of singular words and phrases then you can use one word three times....widgets,blue widgets,cheap widgets.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Thanks Buddha!

btw Markymark or buddha, anchor text is otherwise known as text within the textlinks (or is it href tag now, can't remember) as part of your onpage factors right?

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ EYIProducts:
    Thanks Buddha!

btw Markymark or buddha, anchor text is otherwise known as text within the textlinks (or is it href tag now, can't remember) as part of your onpage factors right?

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

Personal Site: http://www.ads-links.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the first, "text within the textlinks." There is much discussion on weather keywords in the URL's (href thingy) matters or not. The most important thing is to avoid 404 file not found links. 404 will stop a search bot dead in its trackes. Search Engines hate 404's it screws up their own pages.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by erninator:
    Back to the comma question. I've tried pages with and without the commas in the Keyword Meta Tag. I've seen better results with the commas and no spaces between keywords. My theory is that if you use keyword phrases rather than single words, the commas help distiguish the phrases from each other.

I also agree that you shoudn't repeat a keyword or phrase more than once in the Metatag. But, if you're using a combination of singular words and phrases then you can use one word three times....widgets,blue widgets,cheap widgets.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ernie if commas work for you then don't let anything I say change that.

I just don't see the commas mattering that much from a programming point of view. Actually the only reason they might matter is if the SE is checking that they exist on the page. But I doubt SE's will penalize you if you leave them out. Also remember META keywords are more useful for directories than SE these day anyway. They really have very low importance these days but still should be included.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I think the verdict is still out on whether Google uses metas or not. I personally would include them to be safe. Besides there's all the other search engines that do use them especially inktomi

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

ABW Ambassador
    On the commas thing - personally I don't use them for regular and PFI pages, but Inktomi asks you very nicely to use them for trusted feed. Well, they kinda insist, really. Make of that what you will.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Mark:

I just had a guy ask me to put down $1500/$3500 a year for SEO. Do you charge this much also? I was amazed how much it cost!

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

Concerning commas in the Keyword tags. A comma is viewed as a space delimiter by search engines. A comma and a space together would be viewed as two spaces. The comma should be used without spaces. Keyword phrases need spaces between the individual words of the phrase and commas with no space to separate the phrase from other phrases or keywords. Remember; commas and spaces each count as a character when counting the number of characters used in the keyword tags. Three spaces would count as three characters.

Example:
    widgets,cool blue widgets,brown widgets,brand name widgets,etc.

Gene
    TCS

[This message was edited by TCS on January 13, 2004 at 11:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by TCS on January 13, 2004 at 11:54 PM.]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast