Hello,

I've been reading a lot af threads to learn more about AM.

I clicked a link to someone's website and selected a product on the website. I thought I would be re-directed to another website, but I stayed within the website. It seemed like I would be buying the product through that person's website, not through the actual distributor of the product. I thought affiliate marketing meant you put other people's products on your website and when a user selected the product, you would be re-directed to the merchant's website.

Then I checked out someone else's website, and when I chose a product I WAS sent to another website.

I'm confused. Please clarify.

Also, is it not a good idea to contact a merchant directly to sell his goods without going through some affiliate program? For ex.I visited a site that sold beautiful vases. If I want to try to sell his vases, is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Risa

Welcome to the world of the confused.... AKA... AbestWeb.

I will assune that the first website was a datafeed site... the second was a site with static pages...

As for the other question... contact the merchant.. and ask if he /she has an affiliate program... if not ask if you can sell their products on your site on consignment meaning you collect the money and then you order the product at a reduced price and have it shipped dirrectly to the customer...

your only limits are the ones you place on your self...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

http and a telephoto
    Why would the first site be a datafeed site? My datafeed sites have links to the merchant, you don't look like you are buying from me. It sounds more like a drop ship arrangement. There are many merchants that offer *both* affiliate programs and drop shipping.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Loxy..

maybe so...

Deborah,

Thanks for responding. It was your Cool NYC Gifts site that I was referring to. When I get to the shopping cart page, I'm still on your website, so it does look like I'm buying from you, which I think is pretty cool. So, what system is that?

And if I may be so bold - how are your websites doing? Are you doing OK in AM? Should I use your sites as role models?

Thanks. Risa

http and a telephoto
    Cool NYC Gifts is not an AM site at all, well hardly at all, it has Adsense and a link to the NYPD store, but all the rest of the products are mine. I sell them through Cafe Press, they are my images (photographs and artwork) on tshirts, mugs, posters, tiles and a variety of other merchandise. I have them presented on my own website via postNuke and a custom module that pulls the products live from the Cafe Press servers. Cool NYC Gifts is a custom store front for a section of http://cafepress.com/loxlygallery

My AM sites AND my Cafe Press sites are doing well, I am hoping for a nice 4th Quarter, since Google seems to have picked up my Cafe Press custom sites this past weekend

So, no I wouldn't use my sites as role models since the ones you are looking at aren't datafeed sites or even AM sites. Although I hope Cafe Press announces their highly anticipated affiliate program soon, so I can be a MERCHANT! LOL.
    Deborah Carney

Are any of your sites that you link to AM sites? Can you suggest a good AM site for me to take a look at?

Thanks.
    Risa

http and a telephoto
    The sites in the second line of my sig are made with the program in the third line of my sig. Have fun
    Deborah Carney

Hi,

Here's one of my datafeed sites built with Web Merge, still under construction but most of the links are working fine.

www.cheapautotools.com

Malc
    Adverts

What does datafeed mean?

Thanks. Risa

Hi Risa, and welcome to the world of affiliate marketing.

Deborah is exactly right about certain merchants having both a drop ship and affiliate program, SmartDraw.com is one such example.

While it varies from merchant, I classify "affiliates" as partners that promote the product, yet leave the ultimate sale to me (SmartDraw.com), while a "reseller" is someone who does both.

Hope this helps!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread