for those of you who have seen my numerous post with many stupid questions, you probably read the subject line, shook your head and mumbled "what else is new?".

Once again at the risk of appearing less intellignet than I am (really, I'm smart! - normally!}

I need help with datafeeds

I just don't understand what to do with them after they are downloaded. I change what needs to be changed eg: adding aff id number, but then I don't know where to go from there.

How and where are they uploaded to my server?
    How do I link to them?
    Do I need a PHP program or similar software or programs?

I've been stuck on this for weeks and the more I try to read about it the less coherent the information is becoming.

I'll wait until the hysterical laughter subsides and then I'm sure someone brave will be willing to give a tut for dummies! < ---namely me!
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

You need a program to handle the feeds.

Hey Homeflower,

I recently downloaded a program with which you can make web pages from a data feed. It's called "4W Webmerge 2.3" and someone on this forum has it in their sig

I'm not a crack, but I managed to make some pages using this piece of software.

Hope this helps.

I you want to feel even more stupid... get yourself a copy of Webmerge... and have a go...

or

If you want to get going quickly... dig deep in your pocket and pay someone to teach you about datafeed...

if you go this route... contact SandraR... she'll have you lookin like a pro in no time....

Joe

PS>>cha ching! one more brownie point for me...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

You need to see if your hosting plan allows databases. Some have a nice phpmyadmin interface already set up. Then it is easy to create a table and import the data. Where exactly it goes, I don't know, you can't see it with ftp. Some mystery database server somewhere. (Anyone know why this stuff can't be uploaded in the normal fashion? I sure don't)

Then you need PHP or ASP code on your web page to suck the data out of the database.

I use dreamweaver as it makes it very easy to do without being a php/asp coder. lynda.com and vtc both have online training videos. You can access all videos for $25.00 a month. You can preview some videos for free.

Good place to find scripts and obtain additional information:

Database Manipulation

-----------------------------------------------

my2cents

BROWNIE point added

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I you want to feel even more stupid... get yourself a copy of Webmerge... and have a go... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh come on. It's not hard!*

*Unless you want your site to look and work like Amazon's or something...

Errr..I mean... Yeah, it's totally baffling, much better to wait until you learn all about PHP
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Alright, some good stuff to go on.

Well, I have a PHP program that I'm afraid to install because I don't want to "break" something if I don't install it right.

As for the datafeed site in someones signature......I bookmarked that site and it has great step by step instructions. I found it in the datafeeds section of ABW (another section I didn't understand LOL).

I can't pay to look like a pro, unfortunately. But I will keep SandraR in mind when I am able to.

BTW, Would I need to know all this if I was a merchant?

You won't break anything. I tried to install PHP, MySql and Apache on my computer. I think I eventually did get it all working only to find out I really didn't need it. It was a nightmare.
    Dreamweaver lets me work directly with the remote database server. Expensive but you can download a trial and check it out.

You can create pages with PHP - MySQL or WebMerge (or other things). If you like, you can find a primer on datafeeds as they apply to Affiliates at the site in my signature.

I also have info on how WebMerge works too.

Fred

It was indeed buy_online's sig I was referring to. Good info tnx.

Anyone have some more tutorial-type info on how to take the merchant's datafeed and merge it into a database and then -automatically- create (php?) pages on the fly?

TIA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can create pages with PHP - MySQL or WebMerge (or other things). If you like, you can find a primer on datafeeds as they apply to Affiliates at the site in my signature. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks buy-online. That's the site I have saved in favorites. Very clear information but one I went to page 2, that's when it got a bit muddled for me and by pae 5 I was totally lost again.

Maybe it's not meant to be!
    I just wanted to make things easier on me and have more great products to boot.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread