Hi,

I am just wondering what would be the best entry into AM if you have some money to spend and no previous sites with high pagerank to boost ranking etc of your new site.

some secnario's:
    - find datafeed, build site (mall?), promote with PPC
    - research keywords, build themed website with value content (outsource writing articles?), promote with PPC
    - set up a directory?
    - buy an existing site

What else?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    - research keywords, build themed website with value content (outsource writing articles?), promote with PPC
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this your best choice... this is what i am doing..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    My last call for writers generated 85 visitors from www.freelancewriting.com in the first day. Shoulda sent them to a page that had some advertising on it in addition to submisison info, I guess!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> find datafeed, build site (mall?), promote with PPC
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I was investing $5k, I'd also hire someone to set it up so it'd dynamically update on its own.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

any more suggestions, any "deep" insights on what would be your best bet?

c'mon folks, let's hear it from the pro's!

Have someone design, develop and initiate traffic, then pay that person and claim it as your own work!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Spend $4500 on a decent domain name that has natural traffic attached to it.

Your talking about plunking down only 5K and it appears that you want to see a quick ROI on it without posting any of your skills (html SEO and design), so, assuming you have some ... I'll do a ditto on Drewbert's answer and add that you should spend the left over $500 for a good/reliable and cheap host.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    find your monthly budget.

If it is $2000 per month, you have 2.5 months to learn everything yourself.

If it is less or more, do the math and learn these things yourself. It will be more than worth the $5000.

Hey, tnx for the insights!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Have someone design, develop and initiate traffic, then pay that person and claim it as your own work! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's .. just... brilliant Where would you go for this? Your local website-building-firm, other?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>plunking down only 5K and it appears that you want to see a quick ROI <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quick ROI: certainly would be nice, is 6 months a realistic timeframe?
    Tech skills: moderate (always learning more stuff tho)

I can see that an existing "visitor-base" would be beneficial to the bottom line, it's about eyeballs after all, but how would you go about building-up this existing site? (SEO optimization, link building, article writing.... more?)

What I don't like about the "buy-an-existing-domain" option though is that this has the inherent risk of a rip-off attached to it. How would you minimize the risk?

Tnx again

Well with a $4,500 dom ... you should see sales very quick ... remember a name is only $7.95 and that takes time to build up SEO wise but if you've got something of that price range you should be getting sales from people just typing in the domain and if your site isn't totally pickerish (or has plasmas, kayaks and dell computers on it) then your should be cashing your check in the second to third month after it's live.

Building-up the site consists of content (sales pages preferably) and seo work on those pages, take a quick glance over at the fourth world forum and make a mental note to download the trial ... adding products related to the dom is crucial for ROI, growth and better SERPs how you do it, manually or via a program like webmerge is up to your technical skills and learning curve but always remember ... make the site yours with everything from the metatags to the product descriptions ... be unique and work those keywords (combo keywords work best btw - affiliate is good but affiliate marketing is way better affiliate marketing forum ... is highly targeted and the best). Take tools, personalize and optimize, repeat and tweak and always add to the site and for the love of God add a site map link and make sure the site is usable - Read my article for coldwatercreek affiliates - http://affiliate.coldwatercreek.com/...ts.asp?TipID=2 Good stuff there!).

Buy an existing domain is one thing ... buying an existing site is another ... I never said buy an existing SITE

Ok so now ... you need to research a niche - avail doms, existing competition and evaluate the type in value of the available doms (in your price range) and then work your @55 off on keywords and reliable merchants to promote ... there is a great and I mean great post of Leader's on how to evaluate a CJ merchant ... search for it (use the find button) it's priceless and the damn best advise I've ever seen given here or any board.

I'll stop for now, but post more q's please.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Hi,

wow.. nice post Haiko.
    As they say though, 1 crazy man can ask more questions then 10 wise ones can answer

I was thinking about that domain; you say "buy an existing domain with traffic". How do you determine if this domain has traffic of the level you desire? And beside, I think the traffic will diminish when time goes by since the original (linked to) pages don't exist any more.

"Building-up the site consists of content (sales pages preferably)....adding products related to the dom is crucial for ROI" - Of course products will be the main income stream, however do you suggest building an amazon-style product(s) website or rather a theme site with related (links to) products woven in the content?

Tnx!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalph:
    I was thinking about that domain; you say "buy an existing domain with traffic". How do you determine if this domain has traffic of the level you desire? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a few ways to extrapolate a site's traffic like an Alexa Rating but for $,4500 for the dom (in today's market) the owner should be able to give you access to the sites stats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And beside, I think the traffic will diminish when time goes by since the original (linked to) pages don't exist any more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I never said buying an 'expiring domain' I said buy a domain that is fresh but has type in qualities ... chessboards.com is a good example of what I'm talking about. Obviously the site would sell chessboards and chess related items.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Building-up the site consists of content (sales pages preferably)....adding products related to the dom is crucial for ROI" - Of course products will be the main income stream, however do you suggest building an amazon-style product(s) website or rather a theme site with related (links to) products woven in the content? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes, as many sales pages you can add, you should. So lets stick with the chessboards.com example ... You'd of course highlight (featured products) items that you made most on. Adding in special items like a LOTR chess set from NewlineCinema and then add more run of the mill sets like Simpson's and other less expensive toysRus via the amazon link. Then to expand on the dom you could add board games and the such. Just remember that you can't add a lingerie or plasma screen store onto your domain because it's not logical - I didn't type in chessboards.com to see plasmas You can register a another domain ($7.95) for that with a link from your chessboards.com site.

keep asking.

[side note: I don't own, nor know the owner of the domain chessboards.com I only did a quick search for a dom that was available and that could be used as an example.]

[Edited to Add:]

From the Overture search tool - Searches done in September 2004
    Count Search Term
    4095 chess boards
    98 wooden chess boards
    90 custom chess boards
    84 marble chess boards
    58 glass chess boards
    58 wood chess boards
    53 wholesale chess boards
    49 boards buy chess
    46 electronic chess boards
    44 leather chess boards
    39 picture of chess boards
    31 boards chess game
    27 3d boards chess
    27 boards cheap chess

================
    Searches done in September 2004
    Count Search Term
    208 chessboards
    25 chessboards leather

You would use information like this and from many other sources to help determine:

1) if the dom would really get typed in traffic and what quantity and quality
    2) What some good keywords would be to emphasize on the sites
    3) PPC listings
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Hey Haiko,
    What process did you go through to find chessboards.com?

Since some people have PM'ed me for a link to Leader's great post about finding merchants, I've decided to post it publicly...

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...301#7946071301

================
    ifb,

I went to afternic and since there were so many posts about the ABW fantasy football league today, I thought of sports and saw that that one was available, in the price range and a great example of a "type in domain", similar to what I am suggesting to Gandalph.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Hehe, this is quite some thread

Back to picking out the domain to buy; you would do extensive research on keywords in all the well known places to see if people are bidding on it and what kind of competition it has in google.

This is not only true for an existing domain name to buy, but for a new domain to build up as well. So I figure out what people are buying and find a domain name that matches the (niche) market. That one I buy...

OK, cool, so I've got a domain name with traffic attached, but no content. You say add "as many product pages as you can". Once again I can do this with a datafeed from just about any merchant
    that matches my category/niche. In picking-the-merchant the abovementioned thread would be helpful

I find my merchant and convert the datafeed into pages. Now I have a site with a bazillion pages all matching the merchants site(s): added-value=0

What do you do to alleviate this problem and a) get indexed and b) be of value to the customer? I would imagine you take a couple of products and create custom descriptions for them?

Note: since the site has traffic "attached" I might make some sales...?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread