Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    OK, so I have had experience with pop-ups and unders being unethical and stealing traffic from other sites once a URL is served, but what about once a URL is clicked on and pop-ups come from that? Is that still unethical? and why?

I like to stay up-to-date on stuff like this, being a merchant, I get challenged on this all the time.

I need some education here, and the wrong and rights for ethical affiliate behaviour. I want to remain playing on the even playing field.

Catherine

I've taken over where Catherine left off here and I see that the above question has gone unanswered. I know this post goes back a few months but in my newbie travels I've had this same question come up myself.

Can anyone provide some insight in response to her inquiry (which is now mine)?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Bill Gates will answer this question for you. XP service pack2 will by default eliminate any secondary popup or under originating from a click. Miopic translation is a IE browser owner can do one purposeful action at a time. The multi-tasking Adwhores creating popup Hell-Holes and cookie stuffing tricksters will have to see if their old Glory Hole spots are still open.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Advance apologies for my brazen ignorance on this one... I'm trying in earnest to understand all of this - Does what you're saying mean that if I visit a site and click on an active link, any popup resulting from that click can only be ethical?

Does it also mean that only those websurfers who are actually surfing with IE through XP servicepack2 are protected from being targeted by auto-cookie-stuffers?

What about those who surfers NOT using XP service pack 2? What about other PC platform users and what about mac users? I for one, use Safari on Mac @ home (yup, I'm one of 'those').

I'm sooo confused on this one and really looking for a clean explanation in an effort to protect my program affiliates from having their commissions stolen by the 'adwhores'...

Kudos to you who can help me understand it.

What they are complainiong about is pop-ups that are automatically generated and set a cookie with no action from the prospective customer. If you use target="blank" from a link, no one will care. That is legitimate.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Liz amazing true stat. 64% of the surfers are using Windows XP. Due to the recent rash of viruses and drive by BHO installers XP users WILL install all service patches, even if they turn off the automatic XP update feature.

Alternate browsers like www.mozilla.org Firefox and Netscape 7.1 have jumped up on installed stats to 4.3% and block secondary cookie stuffer popups/unders with built in blockers.

Basically the BHO browser spam perps and their infestation crew of affiliates, blind cookie stuffers and the perp-e-traitors at the networks are feeling the screams of their victims seeking them with tar & feathers...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks - what I've been trying to understand is how to determine the difference between when use of popups/unders is ethical and when it is not.

I understand that if there is no click to initiate a cookie setting that it is considered a deceptive practice. Now, aside from popups - is there anything else I should be watching for with regard to what is considered 'unethical'?

What about popups promoting an offer for the site they pop from - even without an initiating click? What are your thoughts on these?

Sorry for bombardment - as a new AM I want to do everything I can to maintain our reputation for being honest and ethical. I want to know what to watch for in terms of what is considered deceptive practice and how to spot it.

Thanks again.

P.S. - I don't have any tar - will peanut butter do?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What about popups promoting an offer for the site they pop from - even without an initiating click? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think popups *promoting* an offer with standard ad creatives are fine. It's when they decide to go ahead and cookie the people automatically that's the problem.

To be 100% clear, the cookies that people don't want being automatically set are the sale-tracking cookies, NOT mere impression-trackers.

Just showing a promotional ad is fine, ethically. A lot of merchants even have cube-shaped ad "banners" specifically for using as pops.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Great - this is good info - now how to tell the difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catherine G:
    OK, so I have had experience with pop-ups and unders being unethical and stealing traffic from other sites once a URL is served, but what about once a URL is clicked on and pop-ups come from that? Is that still unethical? and why?

I like to stay up-to-date on stuff like this, being a merchant, I get challenged on this all the time.

I need some education here, and the wrong and rights for ethical affiliate behaviour. I want to remain playing on the even playing field.

Catherine <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does popups steal from other sites? If an affiliate makes a popup show up when the visitor clicks off their page and a popup shows, then how is that stealing? I don't get it. Be nice to the newbie.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread