I'm thinking about being an affiliate. I have been researching a few sites and I think I will be going with 3 companies to start. Ebay, Amazon and Google. Does anybody have any personal input on any of these companies? Do they REALLY pay us what we have coming to us? If they don't, then I'm not bothering, because it will take me alot of time to make my websites. The only reason I chose these companies is because they are very popular. If there are better ones then I will go with them. Be nice to the newbie

I would advise agaist this.... being popular... everyine else is doing the same thing...

dont forget about revesals ebay is notorious for reversing at times up to 95% of sales by affilaites...

by google I assume you mean adsense...

if you build a website with no real uniqueness and content... all you will do is spin your wheels... and you will never get listed in the SE's njot to mention get any traffic from them..

pick a niche and build upon it.... there are many templates sites availble for merchants hear at abw... pick one and start from there...

no sense re-inventing the wheel!

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I used to promote ebay much, much more than I do now: I've only get a few links up where I just couldn't come up with any other ideas for income. I earn a few dimes, really not worth the effort for me.

With Amazon, I think it is important that you focus on an approach or niche, in order to be successful. By that I mean, think of an approach where your surfer might be inclined to browse some book or game reviews, that sort of thing.

I would take Amazon over eBay, though.

One other thing to consider, although there are some who would argue about www.allposters.com , I find that they have posters that make a good addition to just about any site, from classic art to movie posters, and they pay a 20% commission.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I heard alot about reversals from Ebay. What exactly is a reversal? And why would Ebay reverse our commissions? If the people made a purchase and we can prove it because that person is our neighbor or we can see it for ourselves on our status records, then why would Ebay do this? Is the Ebay Affiliate customer service just as bad as the Ebay buyer/seller customer service? Ebay has the worst customer service. Period.

I promote ebay and do pretty well (ok) with them. I do see a few reversals and have been told that one action that would cause a dime to be reversed is if the SAME person bids on an item from your site twice. You would get credited for 2 dimes but later on ebay would reverse the 2nd dime. That doesn't really explain the $12 reversals though. Those hurt.. but I have only had a hand full (less).

I don't sell as much via Amazon but I do have a nice conversion ratio; 8.16% If I could just get more folks to visit, I could retire.. huh?

Google is likely the most consistant of the 3 you list.... All I can say about google adsense is; love it!

Template Sites
    Hi newbiee

I too am a relative newbie and took the usual route of trying to promote everything in the world and it doesn't work. As my2cents has suggested, try one of the niche areas and focus on that product/service. I personally have done more with the LaptopsForLess programme using their template idea. Worth a try don't you think?

Good luck.....

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by newbiee
    I heard alot about reversals from Ebay. What exactly is a reversal? And why would Ebay reverse our commissions? If the people made a purchase and we can prove it because that person is our neighbor or we can see it for ourselves on our status records, then why would Ebay do this? Is the Ebay Affiliate customer service just as bad as the Ebay buyer/seller customer service? Ebay has the worst customer service. Period.

The reason that they do this is to steal from you and not pay you the commission that they owe you.

There are a lot of merchants that do this to you. That is why you have to be very careful which merchants you us.

In other words - they are stealing your commission from you.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread