How many Meta Keywords can we put in our HTML? Somebody said that anything over 25 keywords is a waste. Is this true? In contrast, I also heard that some Affiliates put over 1000 keywords in the HTML. Will the spider crawl 1000 keywords?

People normally aim to omtimise their site for 1-2 keywords.

These should appear in your keywords tag. There is a thought that the density also matters so put on or too more in as well. Try for 30% density as a start.

Make sure the keywords you use appear in your page as it is thought that the SE's will penalise keywords in the tag which do not appear on the page.

Putting 1000 keywords in your tag is a complete waste of time, dilutes your target keywords and may get you a penalty.

Hope this helps

Richard

Most search engines don't even look at META tags anymore, and some can even penalize if the tags appear spammy. If you use them, make sure they accurately repesent what is on your page.

What's on the page is far more important than what's in the META tags.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree but there a few SE that use them even if the big G doesn't. It doesn't harm as long as you do not spam this tag and have the keyowrds you use on your page as well.

R

I usually use 4 keywords after that I make another page for the other keywords.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

What is considering 'spamming' a tag? Thank you to everybody that is answering my newbie questions. This is kind of you.

You can spam you "Title" "Description" and "Keyword" tags.

Spamming these tags usually means cramming them full of keywords. You will ofter see them if you click down to pages 10+ on a search in Google.

THe SE's do use density calculations for these tags to try and avoid this but some do get through. They also chaeck to see that keywords in the keywords tag are contained within the "body" of the html.

R

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread