Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I wanted to post this so there would be public documentation.

My sister just put in a new HD in her computer because she was having some problems with the old one. Of course she had to re-install her software. She got her antivirus and a couple of others installed and then went to check her email. She did not have her firewall or antispyware installed again yet. She then went to go to ebay (she is a single Mom with 5 children and does ebay from home). When she went to ebay with a direct typein she realized her computer had already been hijacked by parasiteware.

She has ebay as her home page. She got taken to 2 other sites as her "new" home page before she could get to ebay. Then once on ebay, she got a BF redirect back to ebay.

She then installed and ran spybot. And found all kinds of on her computer. She then found that another user account had been added to the computer and she started experiencing email problems and sporadic internet connection problems. After many hours, she was finally able to isolate the connection and email problems to a registry key for SAHS global settings. She did this by restoring one parasite component removed at a time and testing.

Now she has never gone to SAHS website nor does she have an account with them. That is probably the BF link that redirected on ebay.

She is still trying to get some kinks worked out on her computer and her email isn't let her send attachments and trying to catch up on her work. As soon as she can she is going to send me more information I've rerquested (her spybot logs, screenshots she's taken, the BF id, etc) and I'll post as I get those and sort through them.

But SAHS defintitely did a driveby. And caused problems either directly with her computer or during her having to use spybot (if they were using that layered socket protocol or whatever it is) when she attempted to clean all the mess off her computer.

Why in the world merchants still want to partner with folks who utilize these practices is beyond me. And the BF link is what initially caught her attention on the ebay redirect. It could have easily been another network link is she had gone to another site. But we wonder why everyone and their cousin is blocking network links???? What the end user sees is BF. They don't make the association with SAHS. But all affiliates pay the price in their codes being blocked because the networks allow this type of activity by their affiliates.

Not to mention the fact that if she had been buying off of ebay (which she does), that ebay would be paying out to SAHS for something the end user was going to do anyway and additionally SAHS would be keeping all the revenue since my sister has no account with them and did not even know SAHS was on her computer.

Absolute total nonsense that makes no common sense whatsoever expect a couple of parties are benefiting financially at the expense of joe blow computer user.

Shame, shame,shame is all I can say and I wonder how some people can sleep with themselves with only the flimsy excuse of "creative" marketing to justify themselves.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Thanks, Ms. B

Miss ya -

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Yes Ms. B. We suuuuuuuuuuuuure miiiiiiiiisssssssss yah lady!

Hope all is well and thanks for the info!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? <b>Crooks Overwriting Commissions.</b>
    <b>Don't worry! Tracking is infected!</b>
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

ABW Ambassador
    Todd just mentioned the COC yesterday and felt it would be more viable with befree and cj teaming up.

I expect some strong and swift investigations and actions will be taken as a result of this post - NOT!

===================================
    Great News - we can now support ebates and pp merchants - they are cleaning up their act and I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see another clip of ebates overwriting affiliate links.
    ===================================

Thanks Ms B for that info. I just got a new computer a couple weeks ago and found a similar problem. Adaware took care of it, but I did not visit any websites other than my own - just to log in to my email. It made me wonder if one of the manufacturer's staff was playin' with it before it was shipped.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It made me wonder if one of the manufacturer's staff was playin' with it before it was shipped.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> hmmm maybe the manufacturer was in on it the whole time! example compaq buys gator could ya imagine that scary stuff

parasites = no money
    no parasites = money
    money is the choice im making i will see you there!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ad Whores and commission thieving Dupers like SAHS are only concerned in new ways to infect computers with their Adwarez. Drive-by installs, e-mail virus infection scripts right down to P2P and computer Mfgr bribes to plant/bundle the BHO wares are commonplace.

Networks all work in concert with their BHO buddies to help spread the double-dipping disease. What's next? Maybe when critical mass is reached then the networks will announce they are restricting commission payments to the top 200 commisson "tricks for clicks" crowd and all others are SOL. Its all about the economy of scale. Costs less to infect 1 million systems then to recruit and support a few affiliates.

Merry Christmas Ms.B and Happy New Years to you and your family.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Real Networks to SoundBlaster and many other perpherail manufacturers accept bribe money from the BHO perps to infect systems with adware/spyware during the manufacturing process.

Hell even anti-parasite companies like TigerDirect ship systems preloaded with affiliate tagged shopping portals/spyware and adware before first being turned on. The game is who gets to kidnap you first and hold onto you.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread