Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Napster 2.0 lauched yesterday.
    They are with CJ and had banners up to promote the re-launch.

We promoted them during the pre-launch period to get people to pre-register.

They had special Banners up with 5 songs free if you pre-register and all that. Good affiliate food. It was even advertised by CJ so we joined and jumped into it.

We send a couple thousand visitors to their site via CJ links.

I got an email today from the Napster AM (because I asked when the commission for the pre-registrations (which convert to full registrations) will be paid) telling me, that they do not pay any commissions for the pre-registrations.

My reaction was "excuse me?" to put it mild.

I did not get a response yet, but would like to ask if anybody else is affected by this.
    It's scam for me and I am mad. Big time.

Carsten

If you can't move things, try harder!

I've been sending hits too, now I'll have to look at their program more cloely.

ABW Ambassador
    Woah... what!??!!?! What!?!?!? F' napster.

Can you post a copy of that mail?

ABW Ambassador
    Does this surprise you? Do not touch them with a ten foot pole.

IamJaloppy

They sent me an email to join (mass emailing???) so I signed up and was auto rejected

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by JJJay:
    They sent me an email to join (mass emailing???) so I signed up and was auto rejected

Nice, I love those.

IamJaloppy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Some day everyone will key their promotion decisions on my thumbs UP or DOWN advice. This is a BHO trojan horse backdoor install campaign soon to be followed with drive-by install scripts to infect millions of napster branded folks. Then comes the Gator/WhenU/eBates/iWon/iGive move to rape the original referring affiliate by continuously stealing their real commissions.

Show your greed and sellout willingness by posting your were willing to sell your soul for a stupid lead fee. Problem at this stage for Napster is they have no cash and like X-10 will end up owing the Ad Whores, music companies and attornies a bundle when going under for the 3rd time. But the next bankrupsy will allow the perps to monitize those buried trojan adware backdoors to the parasitewarez folks.

MSN -RealNetworks -Apple iTunes and many other media selling players all have the huge hurdle to leap over that class action suit on Active-X or any type browser plug-ins.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    This is a BHO trojan horse backdoor install campaign soon to be followed with drive-by install scripts to infect millions of napster branded folks. Then comes the Gator/WhenU/eBates/iWon/iGive move to rape the original referring affiliate by continuously stealing their real commissions.

I agree. No good will come of this.

What the f*** that's bullshit... why did they have banners up to pre-register? if affiliates couldn't make any money.. Now that is totally f*-** up!

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

"No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow."

Didn't like the looks of it at first glance. Sounds like all of my suspicions will be confirmed in short order. Mike, I think Charlie is right on about this one.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

I seen absolutely no disclaimer informing CJ affiliates that they would not get credit from these pre-registered users (why would they advertise a non commissionable pre-register program with full knowledge that no compensation will be awarded? The terms say 45 days.) The only thing noted is the 45 day term which also brings to thought .. "when do they plan to launch" ... maybe they are purposely waiting for 45 day gap between the final "pre-register" campaign to swindle as many affiliates as possible and stay within CJ's COC which is a joke as well.

This is outright fraud in my view. How CJ can condone Napsters action in this case and allow this blatant trickery for what boils down to "free advertising & signups" at the affiliates expense is way beyond comprehension.

I myself will watch this thread very closely to see what CJ has to say about this. If the answer or lack of action to this new found information is not acceptable in my view .. all merchants using CJ that we still promote (very few) will suffer by removal of thier programs because of CJ's stance in this blatant trickery.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Okay .. out of curiosity I ran this offer by legal council for opinion.

This is what they said based on the CJ promotion that I provided them.
    I would post the exact advert .. but unsure if that is breaking any rules of CJ policy without researching first .. don't have time for that because CJ does very little for us in revenue and this pretty much boils down to the last straw of events to tolerate (for us anyway).

The last 45 days from todays date is the only payments that they would owe any affiliate.

In lamens terms as quoted by council "affiliate partner(s) beware".

In other words .. because they did not disclose that nobody would receive commissions for pre-registry signups beyond 45 days of the actual launch .. does not make it a "devious or illegal" activity.

It simply boils down to the affiliate not having adequate enough information (or assuming more than what is written) to make a decision to join or not to join based on the promotion language.

Council stated that they covered their butts by the 45 day cookie term.

What I don't get .. is how CJ let this fly by.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

Ray:

Thanks for the information.

quote:
    What I don't get .. is how CJ let this fly by.

Really? Really? Well, I'd better before I say something inflammatory.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    Assumption is one thing, but when they're advertising their promotion through an affiliate network, that's beyond any assumption. That's telling me that they they have agreed to compensate for leads. I will watch this thread w/ great interest, but I don't have much to say since I didn't join...I was very turned off by all of their emails!

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

ABW Ambassador
    Cannot believe I am saying this but here goes. Mike is right on with this one.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    Why is Mike right? Is apple I-Tunes parasite filled? Showing Gator? Is rhaspody or the handful of other music subscription or purchase services?

No.

These are products that make their money on sales of music or subcriptions, not having parasites. His scare and rant are so far off base, it is just another nail in the coffin of burying all affiliates as hysterical ninnies.

Though the other allegations are very serious. But as always, Mike has no desire to discuss the issue at hand, he has a soapbox and off topic rants.

Chet

quote:
    Originally posted by IamJaloppy:
    Cannot believe I am saying this but here goes. Mike is right on with this one.
    From what I gather Napster = Roxio, Roxio bought the rights to the name. So it ain't the same old Napster. The mail from CJ said we wanted to let you know they're back early, so you can get ready for the 10/29 launch, so I presumed the links weren't live until then and waited - but I do think that it was unclear and the fact that they were available early should result in payment for pre-sign-ups.

ABW Ambassador
    I just called CJ.

Here is what I was told.

Since there was nothing to purchase until they open, you set your cookie on the presales, but unless they come back and signup you don't get paid. Which makes sense, because you are selling subscriptions to the service, not email leads.

So the proof in the payment/tracking will be as napster goes live if people come back to get their 5 free songs and register. So you are paid on registrations as said, not on pre-registrations. That makes sense.

I am still curious on this original email that brough up this whole idea of not being paid at all.

Chet

quote:
    Assumption is one thing, but when they're advertising their promotion through an affiliate network, that's beyond any assumption. That's telling me that they they have agreed to compensate for leads.

Technically .. they are paying for leads per the agreement of "45 day cookie" from the launching date.

All others .... Napster can say Ha Ha Ha Ha ... silly affiliate learn to read between the lines of our vague offer.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

I hate to agree with him but this time *Mike is right*.

They havent exactly started out on an ethical footing have they? There is no doubt in my mind that there will be a required update when they have their filth on 5 million machines that will make other parasites seem like a tea party. Its just not worth it.

ABW Ambassador
    Napster is not parasitic, Mike is completely off on this one. BHOS and ads would contradict the whole idea. That people should be paid what is due them. There are no ads popping or BHOs. Even back as the old Napster, when they were huge, they weren't parasitic. People often confuse them with Morpheus, Limewire, Kazaa and such that had ad software bundled with the download. They are like Apple iTunes (windows dl available too) in that they make money from people paying to download. This time they also have the backing of the music industry and the artists themselves, they are recommending Napster now. Plus you don't have to worry about getting sued like you do if you use some other services. It's legal and legit.

Napster has a good chance at becoming the top dog again. The best part is now it will be fully legal, profitable and ethical.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wanna put a bet on those honesty and ethical calls Trustno1 or Heyder?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Napster is not parasitic

YET! They were closed down for being unethical and the first act of their resurection has been unethical. Napster is not parasitic yet but you can bet your life there will be a required update that users will need to download once everyone has been lured into a false sense of security.

Napster are bad, m'cay. The next time I post to this thread will be to say "told you so".

I agree Mike and bluemountain, I've just copied my post from the other napster forum

quote:
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    spread the BHO adwarez backdoor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my thoughts exactly Mike, if not at this moment in time I feel sure it will in the near future once they have sufficient millions of downloads then the AFID swapping and diversion stuff will auto upload to their customers comps and we will lose further sales.
    I would not promote these for $50.00 a time never mind $6.00.

Actually when you think about it they've already proved once before they are not too bothered about the existing laws and this proves their morals and ethics leaves a lot to be desired.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast