Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    I had a customer recently introduce me to what could be a potential problem for many affiliates, and I could use your assistance in understanding this better:

Like most page generation tools, including FrontPage, GoLive, Dreamweaver, Home Page, and others, WebMerge adds a "generator" meta tag to pages it creates. My customer suggested that there are affiliate managers who reject affiliates using such modern tools to generate their pages.

Given the inefficiency of hand-coding vs. modern methods (see the article "In Praise of Tools: Why Hand-Coded HTML is Usually Bad Business" at <http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/a...Coding.html&gt, it seems unfair of affiliate managers to descriminate against users with smart, efficient workflows.

More importantly for the managers of such programs, with most Web pages today being created at least in part by machine it would seem counter-productive for them to limit their affiliate sales force to those using the fully hand-coded methods of yesteryear.

Just how prevalant is this position among affiliate managers? And what are the downsides to automating tedious work that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your insight -

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

That would be a big problem, most of my pages are created static by my db which includes writing out the meta tags based on certain criteria... There is absolutely no way I could (or would) do it page by page.

If affiliate managers reject affiliates for this, they probably aren't using a datafeed anyway (which is where most of my pages are created from).

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:
    I had a customer recently introduce me to what could be a potential problem for many affiliates, and I could use your assistance in understanding this better:

Like most page generation tools, including FrontPage, GoLive, Dreamweaver, Home Page, and others, WebMerge adds a "generator" meta tag to pages it creates. My customer suggested that there are affiliate managers who reject affiliates using such modern tools to generate their pages.

Given the inefficiency of hand-coding vs. modern methods (see the article "In Praise of Tools: Why Hand-Coded HTML is Usually Bad Business" at &lt;http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/a...Coding.html&gt, it seems unfair of affiliate managers to descriminate against users with smart, efficient workflows.

More importantly for the managers of such programs, with most Web pages today being created at least in part by machine it would seem counter-productive for them to limit their affiliate sales force to those using the fully hand-coded methods of yesteryear.

Just how prevalant is this position among affiliate managers? And what are the downsides to automating tedious work that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your insight<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...personally I utilize a global search and replace utility to clean up little things I missed AND remove things like generator tags and such that whatever script puts in that I don't want being displayed.

-------
    Stanley
    ...now accepting link exchange partners at -
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>http://www.celebrityphotoclassifieds.com<LI>http://www.collectorplateclassifieds.com<LI>http://www.toyswapper.com[/list]

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    ...personally I utilize a global search and replace utility to clean up little things I missed AND remove things like generator tags and such that whatever script puts in that I don't want being displayed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the interest of maintaining WebMerge's reputation for flexibility, I'll be making that optional for registered users in the very next version.

I might have done so sooner, but to be honest outside of the affiliate community this has never been an issue before.

Aside from the extra 20 or so characters, what issues are posed by the inclusion of a "generator" tag?

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    This AM has no problems with affiliates using modern tools, all manual and software generated pages sending traffic to Tiger are more than welcomed

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My customer suggested that there are affiliate managers who reject affiliates using such modern tools to generate their pages.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't even begin to imagine that this type of foolishness would be an issue for someone trying to run a program whose goal is to enlist, assist and nuture a happy and productive contract sales force...unless it's maybe someone looking for an excuse to not pay a commission and they aren't going to be around long anyway.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My customer suggested that there are affiliate managers who reject affiliates using such modern tools to generate their pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hand coding today, aside from tweaking, is simply not efficient. I think your customer is wrong. Choice of HTML editor has never been grounds of rejection for any program I have encountered.

best,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My customer suggested that there are affiliate managers who reject affiliates using such modern tools to generate their pages.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... and this customer was smoking what?!?!?!?!!?

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>... and this customer was smoking what?!?!?!?!!? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like snorting it sounds like. But seriously Richard, I've never heard of anything like that. Ever....

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Affiliate Manager
    In all fairness the description of the issue was vague, and I was unable to get sufficient details to fully understand it, which is why I wanted to get your feedback to fill me in. Seems like a non-issue.

But while we're here, I should express my gratitude to all you good folks here. When I first stumbled across this board I was completely ignorant of the issues that affect our affiliate customers. Time and again your experience has proven very valuable to me, and I very much appreciate the helpfulness of this community.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe the merchant didnt want 69 million lookalike copies of their site floating around... But then I suspect they wouldn't be doing datafeeds anyway.

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

I use IBM WebSphere to build my sites, and I'm able to choose whether or not that tag is included on my pages. I don't normally include it, because I don't feel like most people care one way or the other what I'm using to build the site.

If they want to know, they can E-mail me and I'll be happy to tell them.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I personally dont want anyone to know that the pages are Software Generated...especially in a handcheck by SE tech ...

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gopi:
    I personally dont want anyone to know that the pages are Software Generated...especially in a handcheck by SE tech
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which generator tags are considered grounds for discrimination by SE spot checks?

"Dreamweaver"? "GoLive"? "Front Page"? "Home Page"? Others....?

Forthworld , in case of a SE handcheck , Generator tags by WYSWYG like frontpage or dreamweaver will not have any problem ...but a mass page generator like yours will sure be a problem.

I am not saying SE's will ban pages with webmerge tags but the tags will tell them that they are mass produced by software.... normally an SE handcheck will be a result of a Spam report by a competitor complaining that the site in question is flooding the SE with thousands of Datafeed generated duplicated doorway pages .

So when an SE tech sees also the webmerge tags it will worsen his image of the site further ...

Most of the affiliate people will do a "Find and Replace" on the generated pages i guess... so why not put it as an option in the next release ?

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gopi:
    Forthworld , in case of a SE handcheck , Generator tags by WYSWYG like frontpage or dreamweaver will not have any problem ...but a mass page generator like yours will sure be a problem.

I am not saying SE's will ban pages with webmerge tags but the tags will tell them that they are mass produced by software.... normally an SE handcheck will be a result of a Spam report by a competitor complaining that the site in question is flooding the SE with thousands of Datafeed generated duplicated doorway pages .

So when an SE tech sees also the webmerge tags it will worsen his image of the site further ...

Most of the affiliate people will do a "Find and Replace" on the generated pages i guess... so why not put it as an option in the next release ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Already on the list, as I noted in an earlier post.

But on a more basic level I'm not sure why these SE's would reject pages simply for having a consistent appearance. Both Dreamweaver and FrontPage offer ways of generating pages from tabular data (just not nearly as flexibly as WebMerge), and with the successes our customers have been reporting with regard to SE indexing I'd hate to see them singled out solely on the basis of using a smarter workflow.

The potential problem extends part the "generator" tag, which is almost never indexed anyway (I haven't found an SE yet that indexes that tag). I'm more concerned about the many good customers who've been so excited about WebMerge that they've added a "Made with WebMerge" link on each of their generated pages.

Is this an actual issue you've seen acted on, or a potential issue based on how SEs operate?

Where can I learn which SEs have such policies?

&gt;&gt;&gt; But on a more basic level I'm not sure why these SE's would reject pages simply for having a consistent appearance.

Because SE's dont like duplicate content that too in thousands !!...

It will not be a problem if a single merchant is using webmerge to produce static pages for his site only using his DB data ... but in the affiliate world , merchant is publishing the datafeed and hundreds of affiliates use it to produce near identical pages ...naturally SE's want to discourage it ...

Putting a webmerge Generator Metatag in a affiliate datafeed webpage is like saying something in the likes of "I generated this hundreds of pages in 5 minutes using merchant supplied datafeed like other hundreds of fellow webmasters for nothing but to gain SE rankings " you dont wanna do that ...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> a Spam report by a competitor complaining that the site in question is flooding the SE with thousands of Datafeed generated duplicated doorway pages . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Where can I learn which SEs have such policies?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right from their pages which state their inclusion policies.

Google:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html#A1

Don't forget Inktomi, under "What Inktomi Considers Unwanted":

#5: "Pages in great quantity, automatically generated or of little value."

http://ink.ineedhits.com/spampolicy.asp

Notice "automatically generated" is lumped in with "of little value"! Hmph!!! But it's there. So the tag isn't.

Maybe Inktomi can tell you what it's smoking, to come up with that comment about automatically generated pages. Maybe they "think" there is sanctification in needless, wasted w*rk!

AltaVista:

http://www.altavista.com/inc/sub_policy

AltaVista's page is especially COMMIE! Hmph...

"Pages that are machine-generated with minimal or no content, whose sole purpose is to get a user to click to another page"

They're practically assuming that machine-generated, and trying to get a user to click to another page (like to a MERCHANT site!) = "minimal or no content". Hmph! There's a few paragraphs of promotional spin on each of my pages...

Oh waittaminnit, those Commies don't want that either... "Attempts to fill AltaVista's index with misleading or promotional pages lower the value of the index for everyone."

Bah!! Putting "promotional" in the same sentence as "misleading". Grrr... And ad pages do Not "lower the value" of the index. They help people find the merchant they couldn't find before (usually because the Oh So Great Index has buried the actual merchant somewhere around Listing Number 10 Million).

Anyway, that's the kind of BULL FERTILIZER we have to get our aff. pages by!

As if hand-coding (or using a program like Dreamweaver, where you still end up doing a lot of manual junk) sanctifies a page somehow. Or that nobody should use the web to *gasp* promote things!

As for *why* they think that way? Who knows/who cares?! They do and they state so, and it's much easier and far more effective to just whack that tag, than to try to psycholanalyze notoriously fickle SEs.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Affiliate Manager
    &gt;&gt;&gt; But on a more basic level I'm not sure why these SE's would reject pages simply for having a consistent appearance.

Because SE's dont like duplicate content that too in thousands !!...

It will not be a problem if a single merchant is using webmerge to produce static pages for his site only using his DB data ... but in the affiliate world , merchant is publishing the datafeed and hundreds of affiliates use it to produce near identical pages ...naturally SE's want to discourage it ...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't it's natural at all for SE's to exclude content solely on the basis of the method by which it's generated. Every news site on the planet uses a content management system -- think of the potential impact.

For products, maybe I've been misunderstanding how WebMerge is used by affiliates. I've been under the impression that folks were building pages that have the same level of care and craftsmanship as they would if hand-coded, just replicating consistent elememts with templates to save time.

If folks are using WebMerge to dump unattractive pages solely to spam SEs, with no case applied to provide even a basic level of attractive customer experience, I'll admit that would be a gray area for the SEs.

Fortunately 100% of the WebMerge-produced sites I've seen are all pretty nicely done, with a clearly earnest effort to provide real customer-oriented pages.

As I've said before, this tag will become optional in the next release. But I very much appreciate your taking the time to walk me through the "why" of it.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> a Spam report by a competitor complaining that the site in question is flooding the SE with thousands of Datafeed generated duplicated doorway pages . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Where can I learn which SEs have such policies?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right from their pages which state their inclusion policies.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The definitions cited are sufficiently vague to suggest that these SEs aren't quite as fascistic as rumored, but merely looking to protect their users from blatant keyword spamming.

I'll have a talk with them to see if I can get them to clarify their policies with regard to legitimate pages designed for human consumption.

--
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> folks were building pages that have the same level of care and craftsmanship as they would if hand-coded, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, for an example of my hand-coding "craftsmanship", see www.leaders-site.com !

So I suppose you could say that my WM pages show superior craftsmanship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Fortunately 100% of the WebMerge-produced sites I've seen are all pretty nicely done<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, thank God for free template sites! Not that pages made like leaders-site won't sell--because they DO, and quite fine at that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If folks are using WebMerge to dump unattractive pages solely to spam SEs, with no case applied to provide even a basic level of attractive customer experience, I'll admit that would be a gray area for the SEs.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw naw, you're still missing it. Of course we want the customer to have a good experience, or else they won't click the Pay Link! (note--NOT "attractive", but GOOD! Too much attractiveness spoils the conversion ratio.)

The "fascistic" place is DMOZ (a directory, not an SE). But they couldn't care less how pages are made--that isn't the issue with them...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The definitions cited are sufficiently vague to suggest that these SEs aren't quite as fascistic as rumored, but merely looking to protect their users from blatant keyword spamming.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can say is, put up an aff site and see how this business *really* works, before making assumptions!.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    All I can say is, put up an aff site and see how this business *really* works, before making assumptions!.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry if it seemed I was making assumptions. Just trying to get my head wrapped around this issue.

Reviewing Google's guidelines, they say:

- Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines,
    or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate
    programs with little or no original content.

It almost seems that they're knocking the entire affiliate industry, presuming bad faith when, it seems to me, in most cases that would be incorrect.

I'm writing them to ask them to clarify they're policy. I'm confident that earnest sites will continue to be welcome as the legitimate conten they are. Hopefully we'll see a clearer set of guidelines osted soon.

I'll report back when I hear from them...

--
    Richard Gaskin

Fourth World , I think you are not clearly understanding the SE or affiliate game...

Theoratically SE's will have no problem if its hand or machine generated ...The problem is its so easy to create thousands of page from the same datafeed that hundreds of affiliates will create almost the same set of pages which is clearly of no value to the SE.

Let me give you an example you understand...The Directory site DMOZ is offering content dump and thousands of sites use the same dump to create directory sites . Google indexes DMOZ so there is no need for it to index all those other sites which are basically DMOZ clones with the same data ... so it ignores them...

this will be the same case with datafeeds once its widespread there will be hundreds of sites each with thousands of pages with the same set of content ( except some minor changes and template differences) . So SE's will sure try to eliminate this clones ... If this is the case putting a Webmerge tag will be an easy way for them to identify datafeed generated sites ...

And another note dont write to google or any other SE with your software name and functionality , believe me you are only giving clue that your software can be used to generate thousands of dooway pages...

I dont know why you are worrying about it so much ... Just have it as an option , people who want to put it select the option and others dont ...

[This message was edited by Gopi on March 18, 2003 at 10:33 AM.]

FourthWorld--I'm a bit tired so I'll make it short and to the point.

Would you treat a corporate customer in this manner? For instance, by calling the IRS about their accounting practices because you're curious?!?

I find it absolutely abhorrant that you have responded to our concerns about your tag not only with that ignorant "I don't see it, so it can't be real" attitude of yours, but by taking actions (contacting SEs) which may be directly detrimental to the businesses of YOUR CUSTOMERS!

[This message was edited by Leader on March 18, 2003 at 11:45 AM.]

Affiliate Manager
    FourthWorld--I'm a bit tired so I'll make it short and to the point.

Would you treat a corporate customer in this manner? For instance, by calling the IRS about their accounting practices because you're curious?!?

I find it absolutely abhorrant that you have responded to our concerns about your tag not only with that ignorant "I don't see it, so it can't be real" attitude of yours, but by taking actions (contacting SEs) which may be directly detrimental to the businesses of YOUR CUSTOMERS!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were to write to the IRS to ask them to clarify a policy, I certainly wouldn't mention any specific case. Please try to give me a little credit.

I posed the problem to Google in very general terms, mostly as hypothetical situations and of course mentioning no specific site or customer.

But if someone was using one of my tools to violate IRS regulations, to be honest I'd have little sympathy for them. The tax codes are grossly unfair to working people, but illegal activity is not the solution. I'd never rat 'em out, but I wouldn't work very hard to expand the feature set to support that activity either.

In the case at hand, I'll admit the possibility that my own high standards for business ethics may have colored my perceptions: I've been operating under the assumption that WebMerge is being used to create useful shopping sites pretty much like any other successful e-commerce site, with the only difference being that ordering and fulfillment is being done offsite. This is consistent with the admittedly small sampling of affiliate sites I've seen (only a few dozen). These sites are well-crafted customer-focused shopping experiences that add value to the host vendor's offerings by providing a focus for vendor catalogs that reflects the experience and hard work of the site owner. This is how Amazon and others describe the value of their affiliate programs, so if I'm grossly mistaken I'm not alone.

Given the clear value-added nature of such sites, I would have considered it unthinkable to compare affiliate sites to tax evasion, and I believe such a characterization is unfair to most affiliates.

In reviewing Google's policies, it seems their guidelines are vague with regard to how they might apply to affiliate sites. If affiliates are earnest about adding value and Google is earnest about having a fair policy, there is no conflict. All I did was ask them to clarify their guidelines as they apply to affiliate sites.

Reading the posts here, it seems the existence of affiliate sites is not news to Google, so the assumption that I somehow tattle-taled to Google is really rather unfair. All I did was ask them to consider clarifying their guidelines to help affiliates better understand how they apply to their sites.

My communicaton to Google is akin to what any responsible CPA would do on your behalf: if there's a question about how a certain amortization policy applies, a good CPA will seek an answer from the source. If a policy is unfair, an exceptional CPA will look for ways to have the policy changed. This happened with the change to the amortization of custom software expenditures that went into effect in '96: the old policy failed to take into account the value of IT investments in the modern business climate, and with sufficient lobbying the GAAP rules were changed, which brought about change to the tax code itself.

The original contention was that Google excludes legitimate sites from its index for reasons that appear unfair. If you feel their reasons for excluding the site are indeed valid, then yes, I've misunderstood the core issue and wasted my time trying to advocate a more fair policy. But even then, I've done nothing wrong in requesting their clarification and would appreciate at least being given the benefit of the doubt, as any professional should expect.

If anyone has questions about my communication with Google, all they have to do is write me and ask. But to assume specifics about that communication without having read it is likely, as in this case, to be in error.

--
    Richard Gaskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast