Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Since the site says only help available if you buy the full program and since I won't pay until I know I can get it to work I have a need for help
    I can get the detail and index page made. The index page link to the detail page however leads to my hard drive files c:\\file name etc. How do I create my template to read so it actually goes to my web site detail page and not to my hard drive files?
    Also I am unable to get the clickable link on the detail page to read something like "click here" etc and have it go to the linkshare product. All I can get it to do is just show the big long linkshare link with all the info in it which isnt reallly suitable.
    I would appreciate any code info if available. or pm me if not comfortable posting out here
    Thanks
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> All I can get it to do is just show the big long linkshare link with all the info in it which isnt reallly suitable.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;a href="[WM-Field SnareLink raw]"&gt;What you want to show in the link &lt;/a&gt;</pre>

Hopefully that'll show up. The option for "disable HTML in post" has disappeared...(Ah it did, with the "code" tag)

Anyway, the trick is to remember to put "raw" after the field name. And if you use a WM-Field to fill in the name of the link (and it isn't coming up right), "raw" that, too.

More is in the Help Files that come with the program (viewable for free).

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you sooooo much Leader
    The first concern was fixed as we published. I was using preview which was clouding problem with my files being used
    I would have never figured out info based on help section. I guess not techie enough
    I did get the mondera feed to work
    I can't get the LS feed sample to work as web merge nor I can quite figure out what they are using as fields. I will try to find another feed and try some more. I may be that one step closer to getting the hang of this. Will make our lives here so much simpler for us in the future
    Again
    Thank you
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

The LS feed may be pipe delimited, which I don't think Webmerge supports in the drop down menu. I have been taking pipe delimited files and putting them into my text editor, then saving them in tab delimited format.

Hope this helps,

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    Webmerge works fine with || delimited too.

To do that, under Sources, click on exported file

For Field Names,delimiter type in ||
    For data delimiter type in ||

Click again on the || in both the boxes and you should see the fields split up nicely

At least that is how it works for me.

ABW Ambassador
    "How do I create my template to read so it actually goes to my web site detail page and not to my hard drive files?"

I had that problem too.
    Then when I put the detail template and the index template in the folder where the pages are to be generated, the resulting index pages pointed nicely to the detail pages.

Hope that helps

ABW Ambassador
    I had noticed they were formatted different.
    Now I just have to figure out how on my antinque system and limited ability on how to change my file to a tab delim format LOL

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do I create my template to read so it actually goes to my web site detail page and not to my hard drive files?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I thought I had checked it but maybe other things were goofed up.
    Once I created pages I uploaded to my site and they then seem to go to a page and not to local file

WW

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    Since the site says only help available if you buy the full program and since I won't pay until I know I can get it to work<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're always welcome to request pre-sales support to help you evaluate the product. I don't word it quite that way on my site to discourage pirates from taking support time away from customers, but of course legitimate questions to help you get started with WebMerge are always welcome.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    Thank you sooooo much Leader
    The first concern was fixed as we published. I was using preview which was clouding problem with my files being used
    I would have never figured out info based on help section. I guess not techie enough
    I did get the mondera feed to work
    I can't get the LS feed sample to work as web merge nor I can quite figure out what they are using as fields. I will try to find another feed and try some more. I may be that one step closer to getting the hang of this. Will make our lives here so much simpler for us in the future
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been literally begging customers to send samles of feeds so I can make it even easier to work with them. To date, only one person has sent a feed, so I have limited information available to help diagnose the issue.

WebMerge will work with nearly any tabular data. If a delimiter is not available in the popup control provided you can simply type it in. For example I see a lot of feeds that are pipe ("|") delimited, and while I've added the pipe character to the popup for the next version, in the meantime you can just type it in that field.

WebMerge derives field names from parsing the first line of the data according to the delimiters you're chosen. If the first line of the feed does not contain field names, WebMerge can generate generic names for you (e.g., "Field001", "Field002", etc).

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do I create my template to read so it actually goes to my web site detail page and not to my hard drive files?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I thought I had checked it but maybe other things were goofed up.
    Once I created pages I uploaded to my site and they then seem to go to a page and not to local file
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WebMerge generates pages locally that can then be uploaded to your site. When previewing, it shows the local copy. In most cases, WebMerge will generate links using relative URLs, so they should work whether locally or on the server.

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks richard for answering
    Leader got my main problem solved. I got some pages to work. Oncer time permits I will try to do a sample site termplate to make sure no other problems occur. I am using your trial version. Once I
    get more time
    finish my taxes
    do treatments
    finish my taxes
    road work travelling for my agency
    stop posting here and doing work
    finish my taxes
    (I hate taxes, I am 3 layers deep of receipts and paperwork all over my desk and keybard right now)
    I will look at getting full version down the road. Or the government may get all my money and ruin plans.
    Thanks for your help and posting here for us not so tech literate.

WW

First, if you want to make static web pages from a data feed, this is the app for you. It could have a couple of nifty extras though.

I paid the fee, and have a registered version.

First thing, please get rid of the custom cursor, it stinks. Sorry, don't mess with the interface. The mouse and cursor, do not act like a normal windows interface with respect to the drop down menus.

I would love to see some "If then" capability, in order to make pages on subdirectories, based on variables.

IMHO.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> please get rid of the custom cursor, it stinks. Sorry, don't mess with the interface. The mouse and cursor, do not act like a normal windows interface with respect to the drop down menus. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which version of Windows are you using, and what does the cursor look like? And with the menu, what appearances seem "off"? I can probably address these easily for the next version, but I want to make sure I understand the details. Feel free to drop me a screen shot at webmerge@fourthworld.com if you like; it would help me zero in on the issue that much faster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I would love to see some "If then" capability, in order to make pages on subdirectories, based on variables.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not too difficult to do once I understand the specifics. When you send the screen shot, feel free to include a description of how you'd like to use variable for conditional generation and I'll see if I can implement that in a future version soon.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Awesome !

I will get all that over to you this evening. Thank you VERY much.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Awesome !

I will get all that over to you this evening. Thank you VERY much.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My pleasure. One of the nice things about having regular updates is it gives me the opportunity to incorporate lots of user suggestions.

Keep 'em coming.

--
    Richard Gaskin

My favorite merchant is interested in having a data feed but wants me to set it up for him. I may want to do this. Need advise and information.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    My favorite merchant is interested in having a data feed but wants me to set it up for him. I may want to do this. Need advise and information.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll leave it to the many experienced vendors here to chime in on how a feed can best serve their needs, but if I can be of any help with defining a spec that is easily machine-readable for automated page generation I'd be very happy to help. Feel free to drop me an email if I can be of assistance.

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:
    I've been literally begging customers to send samles of feeds so I can make it even easier to work with them. To date, only one person has sent a feed, so I have limited information available to help diagnose the issue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fourth World.

I've gotten many features of WebMerge to work the way I would like them too. (mostly it's a matter of figuring out which tags to use where and how). The one thing I can't figure out is how to setup
    1&gt;index (list of manufacturers)
    2&gt;index (2?) (list of products/product names
    3&gt;detail (individual product pages

I can get items 1 and 3 but not 2. What I can generate using an 11 (eleven) product sample (10 manufacturers with 11 products total) is
    1&gt; index (10 manufacturers (first one listed twice because it is the one with 2 items)
    2&gt; individual product pages

Also is it possible to acheive
    1&gt; manufacturer list
    2&gt; individual manufacturer category list
    3&gt; sub-categories
    4&gt; product list
    5&gt; individual product page

...from the documentation I know that it should be possible but I can't seem to get it to work that way.

-------
    Stanley

ABW Ambassador
    ...there might (must) be an easier way but I managed a 3 level stucture by:
    &gt; running WM and create level 1
    &gt; re-run WM with a second index template to create the second level and the product details pages

Is this how to create multiple level structures or is there and easier way?

-------
    Stanley

Affiliate Manager
    I'm pretty sure the separate runs are the only way

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Can webmerge run more than one database to a site?

Stanley,

I just re-sent my email to you from 4/1. Please let me know what you think.

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    Can webmerge run more than one database to a site?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can create any number of settings files and queue them to run in sequence (see the Generation tab).

Do you need to run multiple feeds into the same templates?

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    ...there might (must) be an easier way but I managed a 3 level stucture by:
    &gt; running WM and create level 1
    &gt; re-run WM with a second index template to create the second level and the product details pages

Is this how to create multiple level structures or is there and easier way?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes: go ahead and create a settings file for each level of your hierarchy, the just queue them up to run as a batch in the Generation tab.

--
    Richard Gaskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast