I am building pages with WM by category. In some of the categories there are hundreds of items. I want to have only 20-30 items per page. How do I tell WM to start a new page and link to it after 25 records have been produced on the page.

Thanks

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    On the screen where you put the specs for generating index pages, at the bottom, there's a drop-down and box where you can select to make a new index page every X records.

To link 'em all together, look in the Help Files under "Navigation Tags" for the syntax...the ones for the index pages have the word "Index" in them.

~Revenue is King

That works... but!!! it doesn't create the pages based on category. It runs all the categories together and labels them index001 etc....

Is there a tag that could be placed in [wm-record] that will do this?

Thanks
    Steve

I try asking that too , but forthworld say it can't do that in the current version. I guess the only way is to cut the datafeed into each individual category feed and run. But this can waste a lot of time if the categories are a lot. I hope the newer version will be able to do this.

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Oh, I thought you had already done the category seperation and just needed to have less items on a page.

As for getting it to do the category breakdown for you, what icepenguin said.

~Revenue is King

Thanks for the help... The databases are pretty big. I don't want to be doing that 2 or 3 times a week. Sounds like a lot of work. I'm not in this for the work.

Steve

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    Thanks for the help... The databases are pretty big. I don't want to be doing that 2 or 3 times a week. Sounds like a lot of work. I'm not in this for the work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You shouldn't have to -- that's what WebMerge is for.

See the example for the Congress Contact List included in the package, which has a specified number of records per index page, grouped by category (state).

It's not exactly what you're requesting, but pretty close, hopefully enough to you going until I can customize it for you.

Another option might be a utility to break the feed into multiple files for you. I need to make one to handle obsenely large feeds anyway (I have one set sent to me that weighs in at more than half a gig -- not sure what the vendor was thinking with that).

The new plugin architecture started with v2.2 and enhanced with the upcoming free upgrade 2.3 will make those sorts of utilities much simpler to deliver....

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread