ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I just ordered webmerge. On checkout, I got the following nasty warning:

Your Email could not be sent at this time. The following error was encountered: Authentication required.

Exactly what does this mean?? I have the free version and was hoping to upgrade it ASAP to the full one.

Any ideas on how long it is going to be before I get the registration key??

And yes, the CC was good!!!

Thanks.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    OK. Registration key was just received and, eventually, it worked.

Richard : A suggestion

Do something to get rid of that error message. No customer ever likes to see "error" at checkout. Leaves them thinking that you took the money and ran!

Also, you should look at either getting rid of the 1's or the L's in your key code! I had to make a very close scrutinization of the key code to see that the l's were in fact 1's - especially since the 1's and the l's were right next to each other in the code. You really can't easily tell the difference between them when they are next to each other.

Otherwise, all went well.

Thanks for the good product.

Jim

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    OK. Registration key was just received and, eventually, it worked.

Richard : A suggestion

Do something to get rid of that error message. No customer ever likes to see "error" at checkout. Leaves them thinking that you took the money and ran!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have only had one report of this before coming acros your post here, and I tweaked the server within minutes of receiving the report. Hopefully the admin's spam filter won't be triggered by the standard message our Miva-based storefront sends out. I've had many sales and no such reports since, so it seems it was a short-lived anomaly.

NOTE: Anytime you have a time-sensitive question, please use email or the toll-free number at our site. Order fulfillment is one of the most critical aspects of the customer experience, so if you encounter any issue at all I can address it immediately with a phone call. As noted elsewhere here, as much as I try to log in here regularly this is not the best option for a quick reply. Email is preferred, but for anything critical like fulfillment or urgent support needs don't be shy about calling so I get deliver immediate results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, you should look at either getting rid of the 1's or the L's in your key code! I had to make a very close scrutinization of the key code to see that the l's were in fact 1's - especially since the 1's and the l's were right next to each other in the code. You really can't easily tell the difference between them when they are next to each other.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reg codes are a tradeoff with nearly any software package: with lower-case it's "one" and "L", as we note prominently in the email immediately below the code itself. With upper-case its "Oh" and "zero" -- it's always something.

I've been experimenting with a new reg scheme which is both more secure and eliminates any potentially confusing characters common in reg codes, without reducing the number of valid codes per batch. I'm expecting to roll that out in v3.0, but in the meantime we draw attention to the "one" and "L" and encourage people to copy and paste to avoid typos.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Otherwise, all went well.

Thanks for the good product.

Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Maybe if the codes were sent with HTML email and used a different font than the default, it would be easier to tell the difference. Some fonts use a more distinctive flag for a 1 (one) and just a straight line (or closer to a straight line) for the small l.

[edit: looked at post] Like whatever font these posts use, for instance...

~Revenue is King

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Maybe if the codes were sent with HTML email and used a different font than the default, it would be easier to tell the difference. Some fonts use a more distinctive flag for a 1 (one) and just a straight line (or closer to a straight line) for the small l.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a personal problem with HTML in email, so I doubt you'll ever see me send one.

Best to just copy and paste and not think about it....

--
    Richard Gaskin

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That's what I did, but since this came up I thought I'd suggest that.

Otherwise I don't have a preference one way or another re: HTML emails.

~Revenue is King

I got that same error message when I purchased Webmerge last week. Think it was on May 22.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

I got the same message when I ordered too. Week before last I think. Then when I was in the middle of emailing to find out what the problem was, I received the key.

Affiliate Manager
    I reported the problem with our hosting company (apparently an error in their permissions settings) and on 25 May they reported it fixed.

Many thanks to those who sent me an email making me aware of the problem.

--
    Richard Gaskin

"I have a personal problem with HTML in email, so I doubt you'll ever see me send one. "

Thank you very...VERY much.

Have a nice day.

Fred

"Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor: People are always available for work in the past tense."

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread