ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I just purchased WebMerge and it works as advertised. While I did get Webmerge to do everything I needed it to do, I think I'm doing it the hard way (it was painfully slow to set everything up) and can't help but think that there is an easier way of doing what I need to do. So, if anyone has any suggestions or tips, please let me know.

Here's the problem. I have a very, very large datafeed. I do not want to display all the products and such. Instead, I just want to create index pages (no detail pages) for about 20 of the categories listed in the datafeed (there is in total around 500 categories). The datafeed itself is in an excel spreadsheet, CSV format.

In order to make the index pages for these 20 categories, I had to made 20 individual templates - one for each category. I also had to pull out the 20 categories from the main datafeed file, putting them in their own CSV file (thus, 20 unique file names).

So, my first question is this. Is there a way - using only ONE template - to pull out the categories I want from this datafeed without having to create individual spreadsheet files for each?? And if so, how? I couldn't figure out how to do it.

OK. Onto the second question. After I couldn't figure out how to pull the categories I needed out of the full datafeed from Webmerge, I put all the categories i wanted into one excel spreadsheet, which wasn't to difficult or time consuming (I needed to tweak the categories around a bit anyway). However, because each category has a variable amount of products (between 5-50), I wanted to limit the amount of products displayed on each index page to 10 (otherwise some pages are just way too long). This is easily enough done.

Here's where I ran into a catch 22 problem, though. By having to limit the total number of products displayed to 10 per page seems to prohibit the generation of seperate index pages that are named after specific categories. This is probably a pain to expalin, but if you set up Webmerge to create a new index when the "category name" changes, you then lose the ability to limit the number of products displayed on the index page that is created for each category. On the other hand, if you limit the products to a set number per page, you lose the ability to create seperate index pages based on the "category name" (which is needed for my navigational linking - each category has to have unique names).

Is there a way around this problem. My only solution was to create a seperate template for each category so that I could properly display just 10 products per index page and have the templates named after their respective categories.

Just in case this doesn't make any sense, here's some sample categories with the number of products shown in ():

Category
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Chairs/Tables (5)
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Miscellaneous (25)
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Sleeping Bags (13)
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Sleeping Pads/Cots/Air Beds (15)

Thus, using this example above, I had to create 4 seperate excel CSV files, then create four seperate template files in order to have the generated HTML pages named correctly and limited to no more than 10 products per page.

Is there a way around this I'm probably (hopefully ) missing???

Hopefully, this long post makes some sense.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

- edited to make more sense of this post

[This message was edited by jimh009 on May 18, 2003 at 05:10 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    bump

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Thats basically what I have been doing. Maybe your question will find an easier way. I haven't done a lot of DF sites so hasn't been a major issue yet.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    Here's where I ran into a catch 22 problem, though. By having to limit the total number of products displayed to 10 per page seems to prohibit the generation of seperate index pages that are named after specific categories. This is probably a pain to expalin, but if you set up Webmerge to create a new index when the "category name" changes, you then lose the ability to limit the number of products displayed on the index page that is created for each category. On the other hand, if you limit the products to a set number per page, you lose the ability to create seperate index pages based on the "category name" (which is needed for my navigational linking - each category has to have unique names).

Is there a way around this problem. My only solution was to create a seperate template for each category so that I could properly display just 10 products per index page and have the templates named after their respective categories.

Just in case this doesn't make any sense, here's some sample categories with the number of products shown in ():

Category
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Chairs/Tables (5)
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Miscellaneous (25)
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Sleeping Bags (13)
    Camping/Food Prep,Camp Gear,Sleeping Pads/Cots/Air Beds (15)

Thus, using this example above, I had to create 4 seperate excel CSV files, then create four seperate template files in order to have the generated HTML pages named correctly and limited to no more than 10 products per page.

Is there a way around this I'm probably (hopefully ) missing???
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given the current design of the product I think that workaround is about the best way to handle that particular need.

I've added support for an easier way to do that to the request list. It'll take a rewrite of WebMerge's generation engine so I won't be able to address that for another couple versions yet.

In the meantime, remember that you can queue up any number of WebMerge settings files to run in sequence, so while you did have a little more setup time your day-to-day operation should be automatable once your data feed is split.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread