Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I downloaded the trial version of the software and I exported the datafeed file in without a problem.

When I generate the HTML page though, it is a mess. Half the product name, the url to the product, the image url, etc are all in one big linked line, etc.

What am I doing wrong?

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    When exporting from source and you check that the first line has the field names it should break down all the fields in the box below.
    One item on each line EG
    Name
    description
    Category etc etc.
    If it doesn't and all the field info shows only on that first line smething is wrong. You may want to try using the | in the delimeter felds. Some feeds come with this delimeter. You can manually put this in each of the 2 delimeter boxes. Hope this is what you were referring to. The | is the uppercase on key beside the back key on keyboard.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    WM isn't picking up the delimiter for the feed. Make sure the "delimited by" designator is set to the right thing.

Just which delimiter you use isn't all that important as long as it's consistant throughout the feed and WM can find it. My feeds are either tab or comma delimited (depending on feed) and they work fine. Sometimes I have to "tell" WM what to look for, but usually it finds that automatically.

It took a bit of doing to get it working the first time, though. The problem wasn't WM--it was in my data file. To see if your data is set up right, try opening it in a spreadsheet. If it doesn't show up nicely in the cells (for instance, if it all tries to jam into cell A1), it won't run right in WM either.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Thanks for the help.

The file does have | seperating everything.

I have changed it to that in the delimeter section.

The column on the left has field 1, field 2, etc down it, and the column on the right has all the info on the top line (field 1) only.

When I look at in excel, it is correct there.

This is frustrating.

~Michelle

ABW Ambassador
    ...did you check the box that says something like 'top row contains field names' or something similar (I'm at work so I can't pull up my copy of WM) WM...like any tool...takes some effort and patience to learn but I find it to be one of the most flexible and innovative tools on the market. The only program I use more now is Homesite 5.0! Hang in there Michelle...you'll get the hang of it.

I did check that box.

I played and played and never could get it to do what it is supposed to exactly, but I got it close enough that I could hand tweak out the problems.

It was still taking each URL and running them together in one big line and also adding the last word of the title to the beginning of the URL's.

Maybe there is something wrong with the data feed I got?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    ...did you check the box that says something like 'top row contains field names' or something similar (I'm at work so I can't pull up my copy of WM) WM...like any tool...takes some effort and patience to learn but I find it to be one of the most flexible and innovative tools on the market. The only program I use more now is Homesite 5.0! Hang in there Michelle...you'll get the hang of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

~Michelle

Since you said Excel displayed it O.K., you might try saving it from within Excel as a .txt file, and feeding that file to WebMerge.

-- Mike

Affiliate Manager
    Please email the file to me and I'll take a look at it. This will be a good test case, since WebMerge 2.3 will have "|" as a stndard delimiter (with an "Affiliate Feed" preset).

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread