Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    WebMerge 2.3 beta release 1 is now available for testing at our download page:

WebMerge 2.3 Beta 1

This release includes a replace function for field tags, support for MS Access link field types, a debugger, a point-and-click tag maker tool, pipes are included among the standard delimiters, and by popular demand the generator tag is now a checkbox.

The only thing discussed for this release but not included in this build is a set of example files for a multi-tier hierarchical affiliate storefront. I'd like to include one but found myself working with a feed that is no longer supported so rather than hold this release up further I decided to get this out there for you to test and I can add to the examples later. If any of you know of a good vendor who sells computer-related goods and offers a data feed I'd appreciate your recommendation.

If you're able to help test this new version I'd very much appreciate your feedback.

Please send any bug reports to bugs@fourthworld.com, and include your OS version, amount of memory installed, and a list of steps needed to reproduce the issue. If the bug is related to a specific template, settings file, or source data file please include any relevant files so we can address the issue quickly. For your convenience WebMerge provides a listing of system info which you can easily copy to include with your report (see the "System Info" item in WebMerge's Help menu).

As with any beta software, this pre-release version of WebMerge should be used only with backup copies of your files. You should also double-check file generation locally before using its FTP upload feature.

Thank you for your patience with this release. With your help testing we can wrap up this version in a week or two and move on to v2.4.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Fantastic Richard,

I am D/L'ing now. Thank you.

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

Richard,

I think I did this the last time (jumped the gun).

Some of the funtions you list in your post do not seem to exist. Sent you an email. ("Tools menu")

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

[This message was edited by buy_online on August 10, 2003 at 03:56 PM.]

Richard,

Does it have to be computers? I am involved with more than twenty DF's right now, perhaps we can find something else that is popular?

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    The Windows build posted last night was the wrong file, containing the application only.

I've just uploaded a fresh build for Windows which is the full installer, plugins and all.

Thanks for the report!

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    I've only had one bug report thus far, and it was for a problem in the installer and not WebMerge itself.

I'd like to think I've written an air-tight version, but experience suggests every software has a bug or two during its first beta release.

Have you folks been using v2.3b1? Is it working well for you? Any feedback on the new features?

Thanks in advance -

--
    Richard Gaskin

I injured my arm earlier this week, and that put a stop to my coding and building. I will be starting again tomorrow, and running through everything - so don't despair, I'll give you anything I see

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    I injured my arm earlier this week, and that put a stop to my coding and building. I will be starting again tomorrow, and running through everything - so don't despair, I'll give you anything I see <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you -- I very much appreciate your help.

But first and foremost take care of that arm. Trust me, I know what it's like to have an arm injury. If the doctor says rest it you do that. On ther hand, if your physical therapist says to exercise it knock yourself out.

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    I've been dealing with personal issues all week. I hope to get back to work this weekend and give the new WM a workout.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    I've been dealing with personal issues all week. I hope to get back to work this weekend and give the new WM a workout.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. The more the merrier.

I'd like to avoid the v2.0 public beta experience: as a complete rewrite of the program I had a six-month public beta test cycle, during which I got maybe a half-dozen reports. After release people finally started working with it and I had twice as many reports in the first week _after_ release than in all the six months prior. I had to scramble to put out a v2.1 to address them, and the whole affair wound up being needlessly expensive.

My math here is pretty simple: every overhead dollar I save means I can spend more time writing features

That's why I very much appreciated bug reports during this scheduled beta period. It lets me address them quickly as they come in and get it out the door sooner and solidly so I can get back to adding more cool stuff.

With a product like this there's so many ways it can be used it just isn't possible for me to test everything myself, which is why beta testing is very important if you want to ensure that your work with WebMerge will be well-supported from version to version.

I just got a good bug this afternoon -- I'll be chewing on that and looking forward to more over the weekend. If at all possible I'd like to finish this version up next week and mov on to v2.4. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    I just posted WebMerge 2.3 beta 2.

If you've been testing with beta 1 you'll definitely want to use this new build, as it fixes a number of issues.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Thanks Richard, grabbing it now.

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

Aha!

Now it's generating serialized index pages.

More later...

Fred

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Didn't it always do that? Index0001, index0002, index0003, etc.

Speaking of that, if the "000" in those pages hasn't been killed, how about it? Plain ol' "index1" seems to rank better...and the first Index needs to have no number.

&lt;--Didn't check beta yet

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Didn't it always do that? Index0001, index0002, index0003, etc.

Speaking of that, if the "000" in those pages hasn't been killed, how about it? Plain ol' "index1" seems to rank better...and the first Index needs to have no number.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why programmers need people like you. At the time the leading zeroes made sense to me if only because they sort well in a directory.

I need to revise the way files are named for v2.4 (like being able to have index page breaks on both a category AND max. number of records rather than OR as it is now),so I'll add this to that list.

Have you seen how Fireworks names pages? I'm think of something like that.

--
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's why programmers need people like you. At the time the leading zeroes made sense to me if only because they sort well in a directory.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It came to mind mainly because the other day, I was updating a site where I actually have more than one index page for the section. I would have mentioned it sooner, but it had slipped my mind since usually I only put 1 index/section. But there are a few other "big kahuna" sites and sections that are also due for updates now so this issue got back onto the radar.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Have you seen how Fireworks names pages? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, nope. I've only used Fireworks to play with individual graphics and make logos. I use DW4 to make individual pages, and the only thing I've seen that come up with is "Untitled Document." But then, I don't give DW much chance to try to name anything by itself since I'm always too busy sticking an SEO-type name on pages I make individually!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

"Didn't it always do that? Index0001, index0002, index0003, etc."

2.2 did it, the 2.3 release in April did it, but 2.3b1 didn't do it (just discovered that yesterday afternoon). with 2.3b2, it is working again.

As for the format, I like it. I was going to ask that you drop one leading zero, however I have some sites that need more than 100 indexes in a category. So if you (and Leader) don't mind please keep the three leading zeros. And yes, it does work well in a directory.

Leader, I am with you on the index building. There are several merchants with feeds that have many sub-categories, and building the navigation for those feeds is kind of time consuming. Let me ask another question of you (Leader), what about a private forum for database builders (like you and I)? Silly idea?

Fred

[This message was edited by buy_online on August 16, 2003 at 12:38 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    ...downloaded. Will let you know if I have any issues.

Thanks for all your efforts AND a wonderfully useful product!

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Leader, I am with you on the index building. There are several merchants with feeds that have many sub-categories, and building the navigation for those feeds is kind of time consuming.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Making that ultra-simple is the focus of v3.0. The main difference with the v3.0 engine and the current one is that currently records are processed in a list from top to bottom but in v3.0 we can have much more dynamic operations.

The key to this has been querying: retrieving a subset of records based on specific criteria normally eats a lot of clock cycles. But I finished a modest query engine a couple weeks ago that does a five-criteria search across a 40,0000-record data set in about 1.1 seconds on my slow Celeron-based PC. So now that we have clock cycles to spare it's time to figure out how to make the smartest use of them to simplify your work.

I'll keep you posted as R&D on v3.0 progresses. In the meantime there ae still more conveniences to add for v2.4 and v2.5, so we'll stay busy.

--
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So if you (and Leader) don't mind please keep the three leading zeros. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that should be an option. Personally I went and renamed all the affected files.

And, since the server expects to find a page named "index" in the directory, I really want the first one of the series to be able to be named just that!

There must be some way to make it so the naming can be more customizable...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Let me ask another question of you (Leader), what about a private forum for database builders (like you and I)? Silly idea? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not silly at all, after all--the couponers have a forum where sour-grapesers aren't supposed to go! I've thought of a similar forum for datafeed-using affiliates off-and-on for a while myself, especially when some Luddite starts wishing ill on datafed sites. I was thinking more along the lines of the "Couponers Corner" than an truly private forum, though, due to the problems caused in the past with other private forums...

But setting up forums is up to Haiko. So...Haiko, sound good to you?

Leader said:

"And, since the server expects to find a page named "index" in the directory, I really want the first one of the series to be able to be named just that!"

I'll second that vote! As a temporary measure I manually create an "index.html" file that just directs the user (or spider) to the index0001.html file.

It'd be *much* nicer -- as a checkbox option at least -- to have the first index page be plain old index.html, and the next be index0001.html, then index0002.html, etc...

-- Mike

"I was thinking more along the lines of the "Couponers Corner" than an truly private forum, though, due to the problems caused in the past with other private forums..."

Wonderful ! Thanks in advance to Haiko.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Wonderful ! Thanks in advance to Haiko.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that (or would it be third?)!

The only problem I forsee is that there is already a public data feeds forum. Unfortunately I feel that the data feed forum as it exist now is too generalized.

Doesn't 2 leading zeros mean 999 indexpages?

RE--a datafeed affiliate forum: I've pointed Haiko at this thread.

But due to this

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=7396057993 (some idiot is trying to hack the mail server)

the response may not come as quick as usual.

Uphill--I think that's what Google assumed...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast