I am a recent user of Webmerge. I used it successfully on one website.

Now on another site, with the same hosting company (ipowerweb) I keep getting socket errors when trying to do the ftp upload!!

What gives?

Could someone help me with this, please? Is it a server issue or a WebMerge issue?

I am able to successfully upload files to the site with WS_FTP, but my WebMerge FTP brings me socket errors.

Problem solved!
    The cool cats on the night shift at ipowerweb got me taken care of.

Thanks to all in this discussion!

Thank YOU!

No, Thank YOU! You found the answer!

Aw, shucks, I was just lucky.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ) I keep getting socket errors when trying to do the ftp upload!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am having this problem with ipowerweb tonight. Just sent them an e-mail.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

It has to do with what "host number" you have. If you explain the problem, they will move your site to a different host number.

You can call them by phone and get pretty quick help. If it's daytime, be prepared to be on-hold for a little while.

It has something to do with "ports". Maybe someday someone can figure out how to compensate for this problem.

[This message was edited by petewilliamsagency on August 30, 2003 at 12:30 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Attention iPowerWeb Customers

August 29th, 2003 3:30 PM PST
    At this time we are experiencing technical difficulties with our network which has caused a temporary service interruption for a few of our customers. We have identified the problem and will soon have it resolved. However, until completely resolved some of our customers may witness short service interruptions a little longer.

********** <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Well, I called and stayed on the line waiting forever. I got some know nothing who says well, it seems to work where HE is. As if, that made everything all better.

When I read him the, "!Receive error: Blocking call cancelled", he stated that was a new one to him.

He did nothing to fix it but wants me to go find another FTP program and try that for gosh sakes. Suddenly it is my program not working. (hump) He also had me turn off my firewall as if that would mysteriously help. It didn't.

I mentioned that I wasn't the only one and read him your post but that seemed to put him into lala land. It seemed to be one too many for him.

Upshot is that he gave me a number and is refering it to someone else and I can't FTP my pages!!

Help!!

Well, it's working. Gee, it wasn't my firewall or my FTP program after all. Will wonders never cease?

Man, I must have really lucked out with them. I called 3 different times and got a helpful person each time.

Anyway, glad it's working for you. Maybe your problem had something to do with ipowerweb's technical difficulties.

I just upgraded to WebMerge's latest version. Mr. Gaskin wrote me and said that maybe I wouldn't have the problems with the latest version.

I tested it on the old host site at ipowerweb and it still didn't work. Wierd.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by petewilliamsagency:
    Man, I must have really lucked out with them. I called 3 different times and got a helpful person each time.

Anyway, glad it's working for you. Maybe your problem had something to do with ipowerweb's technical difficulties.

I just upgraded to WebMerge's latest version. Mr. Gaskin wrote me and said that maybe I wouldn't have the problems with the latest version.

I tested it on the old host site at ipowerweb and it still didn't work. Wierd.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a good thing I logged in here, as I didn't get your email reply letting me know the results of your test.

If this is still a problem, the next step is to diagnose the FTP transaction to determine what's happening. One way would be for you to use a tool like Interarchy to get a dump of the transaction data. If that's a little geeky, would it be possible for you to set up an FTP account for me so I can diagnose it further myself?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Richard,

I'm didn't contact you because I'm happy and my immediate problem was solved. Also I appreciate you getting me up to date with the latest version and a new registration.

I tested it on the old host that hadn't worked, and it didn't work again, but, I didn't want to bring that up right now when it really isn't an emergency.

I will try to send you some way to reproduce the situation.

Thanks

Affiliate Manager
    I wroter Peter personally this afternoon with a follow-up to the timeout issue, but it may be of interest to others here so I'll share what I learned:

While WebMerge has been reported to be working great with most FTP servers, there have been two reported cases of timeout errors preventing the automatic uploading of generated pages.

It turns out that some FTP servers are either slow or return really lengthy intro text when you log on to them, kicking in WebMerge's timeout.

The timeout is a standard thing in most Internet software, allowing the software to respond to dropped or erroneous connections.

In WebMerge's case, the timeout was set just long enough to work on most servers but short enough to have been triggered by slow or verbose servers.

WebMerge 2.3 now has a longer timeout and improved exception handling for less responsive servers. These changes will be available in v2.3 beta 4, to be released in a couple days.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread