I am trying to get to grips with the software - and would love more examples on how to use it. Is there only 3 template examples available?

Also - I have a big list of keywords in a text file - and want to build a page with the same text but use that set of keywords in the title (eg: <title>sausages and bacon</title&gt, in part of the content of the page (eg: nothing like "sausages and bacon" to fill you up!) and in the name of the file (eg: sausages_and_bacon.html and chips_and_bacon.html) how is that possible with just a list of keywords...?

Pretty please?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HappySausage:
    I am trying to get to grips with the software - and would love more examples on how to use it. Is there only 3 template examples available?

Also - I have a big list of keywords in a text file - and want to build a page with the same text but use that set of keywords in the title (eg: &lt;title&gt;sausages and bacon&lt;/title&gt, in part of the content of the page (eg: nothing like "sausages and bacon" to fill you up!) and in the name of the file (eg: sausages_and_bacon.html and chips_and_bacon.html) how is that possible with just a list of keywords...?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HappySausage...what it looks like you are trying to do is build a series of 'DOORWAY' pages. Utilizing a common template where the only changes are the targeted word (IE: SPICY SAUSAGE, MAPLE SAUSAGE) most likely in the title and metatags. If that is what you are trying to accomplish it's pretty straight forward.
    1) DESIGN your common template. (you'll need two. One INDEX page and one DETAIL page)
    2) MODIFY the templates with the WebMerge tags specific to the INDEX and DETAIL pages.
    3) RUN WebMerge!

In the above scenario I'd place the following WM tags in my INDEX template
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    [WM-Record cols=2 width=600]
    [WM-IndexLabel: Keyword]
    [WM-FIELD: Keyword]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]
    </pre>
    ...this creates an 'index.html' to place in a subdirectory or wherever.

I'd use
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    [WM-Field: Keyword]
    </pre>
    in the detail template wherever I wanted the keyword to appear.

Thinking abour your text file:

It needs to be in a format WM can use.

As far as I know, that's in row-column format.

You'll have to pick a standard delimiter between items -- pipe symbol, tabs, whatever. You may need to experiment with what to do at the end of each line.

The first row should hold the names of the columns -- Keyword1_label &lt;delimiter&gt; Keyword2_label, &lt;delimiter&gt; etc....

(The column names will be what are used in the WM-Field: tags within your template .html files.)

All subsequent rows will hold one page's worth of keywords.

To test that you've got it right, run WM and have it read that file. Click the box that tells it the first row holds the labels.

Look at its display showing the first set of data and see if it's right. Once that's right, you at least know WM understands your text file.

Then all you have to do is create the two templates, as Stanley indicated.

-- Mike

Thank you so much for the examples - I will give that a go. Really appreciate the replies!!!!

Affiliate Manager
    A general note on examples:

Yes, I definitely want to include more, esp. one showing a multi-tier affiliate site driven from a data feed.

I've been looking for a vendor who sells computer software and/or hardware and offers a feed to use for that example. I love Tiger Direct, but alas they no longer offer feeds.

Any other vendors I should look at? Would an Amazon feed be appropriate?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Richard,

Would it be possible to have a demo site that would use a list of keywords and generate pages from that list drawing from a database of a merchant for those of us that have some knowledge of html but never worked with a database? I think that could be very helpful. The examples on the site don't seem geared for affiliate marketing and I am wondering if you could use a merchant's datafeed as an example and take people through it step by step.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reflections:
    Richard,

Would it be possible to have a demo site that would use a list of keywords and generate pages from that list drawing from a database of a merchant for those of us that have some knowledge of html but never worked with a database? I think that could be very helpful. The examples on the site don't seem geared for affiliate marketing and I am wondering if you could use a merchant's datafeed as an example and take people through it step by step.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I understand. What is the relationship between a list of keywords and the datafeed? How would you envision working with those?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Hi Richard,

Superstore-Electronics has a feed http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...4&m=9586072934

SuperStore Electronics has one in the works. You can contact Andy Rodriquez here at ABW for information about either one.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread