Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Anyone else have a problem with Webmerge freezing up the pc.
    I have the free version, was going to pay for it, but it started freezing up my pc, have unistalled and reinstalled, but no luck.
    Any suggestions?

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

I have used WebMerge on three different machines, and with different versions of the application, and have had no such difficulty. Not fun, but you might send an email to Richard and tell him about your trouble.

Include the usual info: OS type, Video card, etc.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Fred,
    Tried sending an Richard email twice with no response, guess you only get a response if you pay, but not about to if it freezes pc.
    Win98SE, 1.4 processor and 512mb of ram.
    It will start processing records then hangs forever, even just using the default templates.
    Got me baffled.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

ABW Ambassador
    I have found that if there is a problem with the datafeed, then Webmerge will stop working when it reaches the error. For instance, I think that Webmerge does not work well with the @ character in a datafeed

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    I have found that if there is a problem with the datafeed, then Webmerge will stop working when it reaches the error. For instance, I think that Webmerge does not work well with the @ character in a datafeed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might be possible if the "Write URLs as links" checkbox is set.

I'd sure love to fix any problem you find: please report bugs to WebMerge@fourthworld.com with an example of the source files, settings file and templates exhibiting the problem. With those in hand I can often reproduce a problem quickly, and once I can reproduce it I can resolve it.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Justdoit:
    Fred,
    Tried sending an Richard email twice with no response, guess you only get a response if you pay, but not about to if it freezes pc.
    Win98SE, 1.4 processor and 512mb of ram.
    It will start processing records then hangs forever, even just using the default templates.
    Got me baffled.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just searched my In Box for "freeze", "freezing", and "Justdoit", and all three searches came up empty. Please resend with "freeze" in the subject line and I'll keep an eye out for it. And please include a copy of the relevant portion of the feed (less than 2MB please) along with your settings file and templates so I can mirror your setup.

As a general rule, yes, paid customers get a much higher priority. But all bug reports get addressed once I have the files needed to reproduce the issue.

At the moment I have no outstanding bug reports in the program, so I'd sure like to address this one before shipping if I can.

--
    Richard Gaskin

My evaluation copy is also freezing when I click the "Generate Pages" button. I have to end the program.

I'm not familiar enough with WebMerge to know if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a problem with it.

I know everyone says it's a great program, but I'm reluctant to buy if it isn't going to work on my computer. I do wish the instructions were a bit clearer, they assume the user already knows a lot about databases.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    This use to happen to me with HUGE feeds, and it only *looked* like it had froozen, I would go to get something to eat and come back some minutes later to find all the pages made

Javi

-------------
    &lt;font size="1"&gt;Ladies and Gentleman you are being robbed every day, you know it and you're not doing anything about it. When is enough, enough? &lt;/font&gt;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This use to happen to me with HUGE feeds, and it only *looked* like it had froozen, I would go to get something to eat and come back some minutes later to find all the pages made <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's not the case with me. The datafeed is a smaller one, plus it only has to create 20 pages (Evaluation copy).

For some reason, it gets to the Analyzing part and freezes. I've waited 15 minutes, and it does nothing. So I have to End Program to get out of it.

Andy

Try different things to find the problem.

Use a different feed, create one if you like (blabla,gdgdfgdf,http://www.fsfsdfsf.com)
    Try one row from the feed.
    Try templates or don't try templates if you are using them.
    Save them at other directories

Thanks, Uphill. Those are good suggestions. I'm going to play around with it today, and this coming week. I'll try doing what you suggest. I'd like to have the pages online ASAP, but there is a learning curve with this stuff.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Sort the records into alphabetical order, run Webmerge and it will stop on a certain record. Go into your datafeed and find the next record, and find out what is wrong with the record.
    This is what I do, and once you eliminate the problems, Webmerge will run through the entire datafeed

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Affiliate Manager
    Are the posts I've made to this thread only visible to me? Recent messages are as though my two posts do not exist.

Several messages back in this thread I made it clear that I'd like to be able to address this, and explained what I need to enable me to do so.

Please read back a few messages to my posts from the 24th. I look forward to getting your email which will make it possible for me to determine the source of the problem.

The clock is ticking, and I cannpt hold up v2.3 indefinitely. If a change is required to address your feed I'd prefer to not have you wait until v2.4, but to do so will require your assitance.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Richard,

The data feed I'm trying to use is the Eastwood feed. I'm using whatever built-in template is in WebMerge to generate pages, as I'm still designing mine. So, I don't have much to send you regarding this.

Andy

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    Richard,

The data feed I'm trying to use is the Eastwood feed. I'm using whatever built-in template is in WebMerge to generate pages, as I'm still designing mine. So, I don't have much to send you regarding this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about the relevant portion of the feed (&lt;2mb) and your settings file?

--
    Richard Gaskin

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread