Sometime this week, I realized I was finally beginning to get the hang of WebMerge.

I'm still trying to get my template pages set up so I can make sure they look the way I want them to, but I think WebMerge will do what I need it to do.

I'm still not sure about breaking down the index page into categories, but I'll deal with that after the detail pages are done. I do really wish the instructions for WebMerge were a bit more helpful, though. They assume the user already understands quite a bit, which may not always be the case. I suspect if FourthWorld developed another set of instructions, aimed specifically at newbies, you'd have more people buying WebMerge.

It seems easy, and makes sense now that I'm "over the hump," but last week I was still totally confused by the program.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Andy,

I agree with your comments on WebMerge. I just downloaded the trial version last night. The tutorial does assume that you know quite a bit. The only thing that saved me is that I've spent a lot of time using database programs and the merge function on Microsoft Word.

It's well worth the effort though. I have been feeling so left out of the datafeed discussions and it's hard to compete against some of the huge sites that are using generated pages.

Best Wishes,

Lily

I am looking forward to getting the hang of it. I have been able to do basic things but what I really want to do - customize things the way i want them - I haven't yet figured it out. I just need more hours in the day to spend doing all that I need to do!

Check out the topic "Lessons Learned in Using WebMerge" for some pointers on one way to create multi-level indexes.

Regards,
    FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

nevermind...found my answer.

webmerge should have an interface where you can drag and drop categories into your existing templates.

basically make it simple html editor to place the template markers with preview functions before spitting out the pages to preview.

then again I'm usually overly critical of anything that is supposed to make something easier but requires a learning curve of its own. But I used to be a huge gamer and interface is EVERYTHING to me

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canadian eh:
    webmerge should have an interface where you can drag and drop categories into your existing templates.

basically make it simple html editor to place the template markers with preview functions before spitting out the pages to preview.

then again I'm usually overly critical of anything that is supposed to make something easier but requires a learning curve of its own. But I used to be a huge gamer and interface is EVERYTHING to me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. A built-in HTML editor is in the works, but the issue with simplicity is the trade-off with features. Any specific suggestions about how the interface might be simplified without removing any of the flexible options? Major re-write lies ahead with v3.0, so your guidance is appreciated.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Hi, Richard:

Whatever built-in editor you come up with, I hope you keep it optional, not mandatory.

A lot of folks are devoted to their favorite editor and will still want the option to use it, without any extra steps involved compared to how it is now.

-- Mike

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."
    -- Willa Cather

Perhaps the best solution for the HTML editor, will be the ability to "call" it from within WebMerge. I think the interface still needs to be able to do things like scroll through records in the database (sources tab), and at least be able to scroll to the right in that window (can't do that now).

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

what I meant by simple html editor is the ability to just open the template you wish to use and then drag the wm-field tags corresponding to whatever source file was opened into places on the template.

I just think this sort of wysiwyg thing would help people figure out how to use webmerge right away. For more advanced users maybe you could just export the categories of a feed as wm-field code snippets for different html editors.

of course some pre-made templates and data file as part of a tutorial would probably help just as much.

this is just my opinion as I'm still not that good at using webmerge(I must read the help files more thorougly instead of fast skim).

after letting webmerge sit on my harddisk for months, i really took the time to learn how to use it, and it went well than expected. not really complicated as i initially thought of.

to richard - fourthworld,

i managed to get the coupons from IAN with less $20 discount, now i want to ask if its possible to use that discount along with other coupons from merchants like bettymills with less $10? is there any other merchants offering WM coupons?

thanks.

prix

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread