Some of the datafeeds out there can result in 30-40,000 product pages being generated by webmerge - I'm just wondering what is the best way to arrange your directory structure.

Does Dreamweaver start running into problems when there are huge numbers of files in a directory

Do you put all the files in root - or maybe you create say 10 catagory sub-directories with about 3,000 files in each?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, Dreamweaver does run into problems, both with uploading and just opening a site. Very slow and unusable for me.

<a href="http://ez-search-engine-optimization.com/reviews/sitemap-builder/site-map-builder.php">Download Site Map Creator Today</a>

PerfectG

Are you sure the problem is Dreamweaver - Could it be your PC?

I am using a four year old machine - 500MHZ Celeron processor, with 192MB RAM - I've never had any problems with speed until I got into these really large datafeeds - finding a long wait sometimes just opening feeds in excel etc

I'm planning to upgrade shortly to something like a 3 GHZ Pentium - I assume this will quicken things up a fair bit

ABW Ambassador
    I use Dreamweaver Mx and it is slow on my machine with only a few thousand files. Synchronizing is impossibly slow. Even startin gdreamweaver can take an age.

This only happens of all files are in the same folder (in my case root folder).

PC is a Pentium 4 2.4 MHz with 512 MB RAM.

<a href="http://ez-search-engine-optimization.com/reviews/sitemap-builder/site-map-builder.php">Download Site Map Creator Today</a>

I've got a 3 GHZ pc with 1 GIG ram and dreamweaver mx is ok with big feed sites, but frontpage still has problems.

You are dead right there perfectG, I am now on DW MX, I have noticed most if not all the Dreamweavers took an age to load and if I want to open a folder with 1000+ files in I just start it off then go upstairs to make a brew or a butty it takes that long.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Dreamweaver 4 locks up quite a bit for me with my large sites, I have a 2.6ghz with 1 gig ram, ran into the same problem on my 750 with only 256 megs of ram.

LOL, there's one thing I never do - in "File View" never click on the directory where the completed detail pages are located (having done it by accident many times already).

The other nasty part with DW is that if you crash the program (with ctrl-alt-del), and fire it back up again - it goes out to look in that directory with all the files!

I thought it might be fun to fix the problem, so I went to surplus computer and updated my machine from a 350MHz cpu to one with 1750MHz. For $150. it was faster, but not enough.

Here's a silly question. Why is anyone looking in that directory with file view from within DW? I know there are reasons - I was just wondering, becasue there are work-arounds.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why is anyone looking in that directory with file view from within DW? ~Buy Online<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By accident!!!

The main reason I can think of is wanting to edit a single page and forgetting to avoid using the common DW way of getting at it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 3 GHZ Pentium - I assume this will quicken things up a fair bit ~Tiebreaker<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a lot of things, yeah, but my DW 4 still doesn't want to go into the folders that have thousands of files in them despite me having 3 Ghz Pentium 4 with 512 megs ram.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Thanks to everyone for the feedback

After spending a couple of days experimenting, I've found the following ...

1 Best to put all the thousands of product pages in their own directory, rather than in root with all the index files and other stuff - this way, you can open up the root folder in file view.

As noted by others - don't try to open the product directory in file view - it will take forever to open - and there is no need to do this anyway - all these pages are being automatically generated. If you want to take a look at an individual product page, do so by selecting file &gt; open &gt; chosen page

2 To speed up the time it takes for Dreamweaver to load the site, turn off the site cache option - although I'm not sure yet if this will create any other major problems - perhaps someone else who has done this will comment.

Affiliate Manager
    Would it be helpful if WebMerge had its own built-in text editor that let you navigate among pages and tweak HTML without opening DW?

It would be prohibitively expensive to make a good WYSIWYG tool for editing (a job best left to the good folks at Macromedia), but if editing the source would be helpful I might be able to craft a plug-in for that.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Re adding a text editor to WM:

I don't feel any need for it, others may feel differently. I'm happy using NotePad, and I can switch back and forth between editing the source in NotePad and running WM with just two mouse-clicks.

-- Mike

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."
    -- Willa Cather

"It would be prohibitively expensive to make a good WYSIWYG tool for editing (a job best left to the good folks at Macromedia), but if editing the source would be helpful I might be able to craft a plug-in for that."

Richard, IMHO you will be wasting your time. Everyone has their own favorite tool for editing, and whatever you create will not be used by 98% of WM users. Let me suggest a couple possible solutions.

First and easiest for you, will be to allow users to scroll through records in the database file window. Many times I need to simply look at more than one record while designing a template. Even easier than that, you could allow users to scroll horizontally in the record they are viewing. Right now, we can't even do that with the single record that is presented. I think you once asked me why I would want to see the entire record - you're kidding? There may be something in a text record (description), or a long URL (as are all affiliate URL's) that needs to be seen, or that is causing problems with building pages. That should be fairly easy to correct on your side.

Another nifty item would allow users to be able to re-size the WebMerge window, or at least maximize it. The data view could then grow or shrink accoring to the size of the overall application window - allowing more information in the record to be seen.

If I need to modify the feed, I will open something else to do it, as I usually have to do something like replace slashes "/" with dashes, or change thousands of keywords to lower-case only, or other large formatting operations. My point here is that users need to bounce out of WebMerge to make significant changes to the feed - it can't be done with a simple one-at-a-time view. Why not have a button to click titled "Edit Feed?" Clicking on the button opens the users default application, or one that is easily set in "Preferences."

I am sorry to be suggesting how you use your time in developing the application, but you are always asking for input, and these are items that bug me every time I open WebMerge. Thanks.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    First and easiest for you, will be to allow users to scroll through records in the database file window.
    Another nifty item would allow users to be able to re-size the WebMerge window, or at least maximize it. The data view could then grow or shrink accoring to the size of the overall application window - allowing more information in the record to be seen.

If I need to modify the feed, I will open something else to do it, as I usually have to do something like replace slashes "/" with dashes, or change thousands of keywords to lower-case only, or other large formatting operations. My point here is that users need to bounce out of WebMerge to make significant changes to the feed - it can't be done with a simple one-at-a-time view. Why not have a button to click titled "Edit Feed?" Clicking on the button opens the users default application, or one that is easily set in "Preferences."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the above can be done in a plug-in without less overhead in time and memory than opening a separate application. One of the benefits of v2.3's plug-in system is that I can write tools for specific tasks like this one.

Rather than limiting the view to fit around the controls of the main window, I'd rather make a separate window designed specifically for viewing data.

In addition to viewing, adding "Find" and "Replace" features would not be hard; I may be able to support a subset of regular expressions for those so inclined.

And of course that window will be resizable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am sorry to be suggesting how you use your time in developing the application, but you are always asking for input<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the contrary, the product would not be where it is without specific, well thought out feedback. Everything in the program since v1.0 was driven by comments like yours above.

Enhancements get prioritized by these factors:

- How essential is it?
    Can it be done better elsewhere? HTML editing: yes,
    Dreamweaver and GoLive are hard to beat. Viewing the
    table: no, as it can be done well in WM.

- How many people need it?
    I've had enough requests for this one to convince me.

- How much development time will it take?
    This one is not hard. Some of it is already written.

It's not the squeaky wheel that gets the grease here, but the one with the most compelling case.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

okay - thanks !

Fred

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread