I have for sveral weeks tried to figure out how to use WebMerge... to no avail...

I have been to the website, viewed the tutorial,
    played with the software... noluck...

with text file I have no problem...

but with .csv files like the Urbanscooters datafeed ... forget it... nothing usable..

I know a lot of people use this software...
    but not me... this makes me wonder how many
    people less persistant then I have left shaking their heads mubling this #@$^@$^ doesnt work..

seems to me that's lost sales for WebMerge, Lost
    sales for the Merchants and most importantly lost sales for the Affiliate who left in disapointment....

I can pick the feed apart and build my pages that way... but why should I,,, I saw in another part of the ABW forum cditty has scripts forsale... well for someone on a tight budget that's not an option... (my wife put me on a budget, said I was spending too much money on the @#$#%#@^$ internet stuff)

boy do i feel better now!

JOe

net-aholic at work.... too busy to smell the roses....

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    When I first tried web mege I had no luck. Just started using it again last month (after using a similar program) and alot of webmerge problems, in my case, stemmed from bad datafeeds. If I get a feed that does not work, then I open in excel and save as a comma delimited CSv file.

Are you using the 2.3 beta? For some reason the latest beta does funny things to the feeds I use. But when I open in 2.2 the feeds seem to work fine. Then I open the 2.2 files in 2.3 and then the feds look fine again. weird

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigdoggie:
    ...but with .csv files like the Urbanscooters datafeed ... forget it... nothing usable..

I know a lot of people use this software...
    but not me... this makes me wonder how many
    people less persistant then I have left shaking their heads mubling this #@$^@$^ doesnt work..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but it does, generating hundreds of thousands of pages for users worldwide every day.

Why spend so much time on a broken datafeed? I checked my In Box and could find no message about an Urbanscooters data feed. As requested in the Troubleshooting page, just send me a less-than-2MB portion of the troublesome feed along with your setting file and a description of the problem and it'll be resolved, probably in just a couple days.

Until I add the Psychic Bug Fix feature, I can only fix problems I'm made aware of. With so many users reporting quick, easy generation I need a bug report for those few data feeds not yet supported robustly.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but with .csv files like the Urbanscooters datafeed ... forget it... nothing usable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It's not the .csv format that's the problem. Urban Scooter's datafeed is simply poorly designed. It lacks any structure that makes it usable.

Wayne

I think you missed the point...

your tutorial assumes I know alot...

how about a simple to understand tutorial that a newbie could understand...

I have 1000's of pages on the net created a line at a time...

I just dont get it....

I tried several datafeeds I just dont seem to understand how to create a page with you software... I go through the steps...

all I get jibberish... I dont have or want to take the time to learn more then how to create
    static pages with your software...

I will settle for tables i can place i my templates...

I am sure you have great software... I have read many (100's) of posts sO I KNOW THE SOFTWRE WORKS...

I sent seveal inquiries to your support... I did
    not get a response so i posted in the forum...

If I can figure how to use WebMerge I will buy it...

In fairness to you and your company... I tried WebMerge with groovycandies, urbanscooters ( which has some funny things going with the format) and JEGEM the best i was able to do was create an index page with JEGEM with 10 links
    the detail pages had no links rather the the html for the links was showing ie: http://url.com/ not as link....

I am going to move on... Have wasted too much time on the endevor...

there goes another missed sale...

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigdoggie:
    I think you missed the point...

your tutorial assumes I know alot...

how about a simple to understand tutorial that a newbie could understand...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the goal. Please help me out: Which parts of the tutorial were hard to understand? That sort of specific feedback will help me hone it well.

Thanks in adance.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    In fairness to you and your company... I tried WebMerge with groovycandies, urbanscooters ( which has some funny things going with the format) and JEGEM the best i was able to do was create an index page with JEGEM with 10 links
    the detail pages had no links rather the the html for the links was showing ie: http://url.com/ not as link....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just add a "raw" attriute to your tag. From the WebMerge Help page on the WM-Field tag:

Using the raw attribute
    By default, WebMerge converts field data to HTML. The conversion changes all non-ASCII characters to their corresponding character entity according to the ISO 8859-1 standard. For example, the character "&lt;" becomes "&lt;". This attribute is useful if your database contains some fields whose data is already in HTML format, to prevent WebMerge from altering it for Web display. If your field already contains HTML, you can tell WebMerge not to perform this conversion by using the raw attribute.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am going to move on... Have wasted too much time on the endevor...

there goes another missed sale...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing it by hand won't save you any money. Why not just send me a &gt;2MB portion of the feed along with your settings file so it can become possible to support that apparently unusual feed format?

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    Best $79.00 I ever spent!

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but with .csv files like the Urbanscooters datafeed ... forget it... nothing usable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It's not the .csv format that's the problem. Urban Scooter's datafeed is simply poorly designed. It lacks any structure that makes it usable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would Urbanscooters use a feed format that isn't machine-parseable? Are they aware of this limitation?

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    Ignore my post. I realized that we had been trying to import the .csv file as comma separated. They note on the download page that is actually a pipe delimited file. Sorry for the mistaken criticism.
    Wayne

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread