Richard,

Could you please elaborate the reasons why WM will occaisionally report this error, and just quit?

Let me break that down. First, why would I see that kind of error to begin with, if the data is okay (triple checked). In other words what triggers this message?

This is not a bug related to the current beta release, I have had this problem from day one in all releases. It does seem to happen on larger feeds, in this case a file with 34,000 products. The frustrating part here, is that it seems to get to say record number 30,500 and then stops. It does not happen on all large feeds, I have generated feeds with more than 45,000 records without problems.

So my real question here, what are the conditions for this to happen so that I can look for a solution? Why is the product designed to stop executing, and not skip over a bad record? In other words what conditions trigger this message? (said that already- sorry).

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

I received this same kind of error for the first time today. In my case it was caused by an unacceptable character <"> in the CATEGORY field that I was using to generate an index file name.

As soon as I replaced <"> with <inch> the problem was resolved.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

Thanks Frank,

One of the first things I do with a feed is strip out weird characters and html markup from any of the records that might be used to generate file names from the feed. It's a great idea to remove scan for erroneous stuff like the <> you describe.

In my case here, I had no markup, no slashes, no commas or anything in the fields that are used to make filenames. I am going to go back and check from empty tags, per your example.

My question for Richard still stands though. Why does WM stop executing when it runs into a bad record? And, what are the things that make it stop?

Fred

Fred;

I see now that that my choice of brackets was poor. Just for the record, my problem was not an empty tag <>, but simply an " (inch) character as part of one of the names in the category field.

This doesn't solve your problem, but may be relevant to someone else.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

Frank,

Anything posted here highlighting experience with WM is VERY much appreciated. Thanks.

Fred

Richard,

Since you won't answer this question, I am going to simply email you every time it happens. I emailed you the question months ago, and asked the question here twice. Is there some problem with WM that you don't want to discuss?

This is very frustrating for me.

Fred

Howzabout actually giving him the resources needed to reproduce your error?

That might help...

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Done that previously, and by email again last night. Also, you'll notice my question above shouldn't really need any more information, as I was asking what things trigger the error response in the application.

The answer could be something like "When the application tries to write to a directory on the user's machine and encounters "X" it will stop."

Then I might be able to say "Aha!" It's on my end, I can fix it. Or, it could be something worse.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    My question for Richard still stands though. Why does WM stop executing when it runs into a bad record? And, what are the things that make it stop?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An operating system can return an error to WebMerge when WebMerge tries to create a file for any number of reasons. It's not possible to guess as to what could be at play here without knowing what the path is that's shown with the error message.

In most cases seeing the full path will tell us what the problem is in short order, which is why I wrote the error-handling to display it.

Please send me an email with the full path as shown in the error dialog and I should be able to determine why the OS is having a problem with it.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Very nice, thank you Richard. I will send you an e-mail with the details.

For everyone else's edification, no path is ever shown in the error display, it only shows the filename. "xxxx.htm"

Let me share some other things I have found.

All the machines I have are Win98 (original) - I'm cheap !

I have a 1700Mhz machine, upgraded recently from a 350 Mhz machine. Both machines exhibit the same problem with regard to the file write problem.

I have also tried writing across my 10/100 wired LAN to another Win98 machine. Same effect.

The size of the feed does not seem to be the determining factor, although the problem is more pronounced when the feed has more than 20,000 records (trying to generate more than 20,000 files).

Some feeds like Betty Mills (Ssanf !) work very well, (28,000 + 3,500 records). Other feeds just seem to be a mess, despite hours of hand clean-up. When I say hand clean-up, I mean removal of illegal characters in fields that will be used to generate filenames, and more.

Obviousely, a more robust operating system is in order. My next step is to take the old 350MHz machine, and turn it into a Linux box. I will initially try to write files to that machine from the Win98 machine.

Shame we can't run WM from the command line on a UNIX box?

More later.

Fred

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread