Hello,

I am a big fan of the product and great job so far. My situation is this, I normally use the product off my local computer and have all my files and program stored on there in the office. I am going to be traveling out of town for a couple weeks and will not have access to my computer.

What possible ways are there to update my pages on the server (Windows Shared Hosting) in case a product goes out of stock. Should I make two versions of each page, an in stock and out of stock and then copy them over?

A feature request would be to be able to process pages on the server through a web page that runs a script on the back end.

Thanks.

K S

How do you know if a product is out of stock? And how many products are you talking about? Are you creating from a downloaded datafeed or from your own database?

If the number of products is limited (<100?) and you have up-to-date info on stocks, then I suppose making an in-stock and out-of-stock page might be feasible (but it sounds rather tedious to me in the long run).

If you are deeling with large feeds of thousands of products, then I think you would just have to wait to update when you get home. On take all your data and WM along on a laptop. That's what I do.

You might also want to consider using an online database with PHP or ASP to create your product files "on the fly" rather than static WM created pages. That way you could simply edit the online database to update the stock status for products

Richard does have an online WM script on the drawing boards. However, it is, I think, a relatively low priority taks since the demand is not that great (although I'd use it if it was available).

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Richard does have an online WM script on the drawing boards. However, it is, I think, a relatively low priority taks since the demand is not that great (although I'd use it if it was available).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WebMerge Server Edition is actually in development now, but given the many different platforms and configurations it won't be as simple as copying a Perl script to your cgi-bin.

A server version of WebMerge can be custom-built and installed for $1000 starting later this month after I finish the first custom installation I'm working on now. It will be available for most Linux, BSD, Solaris, Irix, and Windows servers on which your host lets you run custom C programs as CGIs.

The Server Edition is definitely a pro tool, but as the person who ordered the one I'm making now put it, "I maintain dozens of sites with tens of thousands of pages -- this will pay for itself in the first month of use."

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:
    WebMerge Server Edition is actually in development now, but given the many different platforms and configurations it won't be as simple as copying a Perl script to your cgi-bin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If you write POSIX.1-conformant code, you can then cross-compile to anything.

(add the Cygwin dll for a Windows POSIX subsystem)

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread