Can someone explain this tag to me, i am having trouble getting my head round it.

I want to create a three tier site
    ie: main index - linked to sub indexs
    Sub indexes - Linking to detail pages
    Detail pages linked back to the two index pages

I have read Lessons learned, and that helped alot but i just cant seem to recreate what it says to do, the sub index pages just keep linking to the first detail page in the sub category and not the rest.

I'm slowly getting my head round this just need someone to explain and make it 'click' for me!

TIA

First off, let’s visualize what you want to create. Let’s assume that your datafeed includes a field called “Category” and “ProductID”. Let’s also assume that one of the Categories is called “Widget” and one of the products is called “Round Widgets”

In a three tier index you want all the Categories listed in the main index, e.g., Widgets, Didgets, and Fidgets. Clicking on a Category link for Widgets should take you to a Category (SubIndex) page called “Widgets.html” that displays all the Widget products, e.g. Round Widgets, Square Widgets and Triangular Widgets. Clicking on link for “Round Widgets” will take you to the detail page called Round-Widgits.html.

To achieve the above you want WM to create three files for you, index.html, Widgets.html and Round-Widgets.html. How the information appears on those three pages is controlled by your three template files, e.g., let’s call them index-template.html, category-template.html, and product-template.html

You want to create three files, but the current version of WM can only create two levels of files during each setting run – one from the Index pages Tab and one from the Detail Pages Tab. In order to create three levels of linking files you must therefore run two WM settings – first to create Index.html and Widgets.html and second to create Widgets.html (again) and Round-Widgets.html.

The first WM settings file is used to create Index.html and Widgets.html. On the Index Pages tab you should select the index-template.html and selecte “make only one index page.” On the “Detail Pages Tab select the product-template.html (that’s correct) and set the “Name based on contents of field” to “Category.” Run a test and you should end up with one index page and a file for each Category, including Widgets.html. NOTE: The contents of Widgets.html will be the detailed product information for the first Widget in your datafeed. This is correct (but temporary). Save this settings file.

You can now create the second WM file to create Widgets.html (again but to display all Widget products) and Round-Widgets.html. In this settings file on the Index Pages tab select the category-template.index and set “Name based on contents of field” to “Category.” The key to creating tiered indexes in linking the two settings files with a common field, e.g, in this case “Category.” On the “Detail Pages Tab select product-template.html and set the “Name based on contents of field” to “ProductID.” Run a test and you should now end up with index.html (unchanged from the previous run), Widgets.html which now shows a list of all the Widget products, and a detailed product page for each Widget.

When you get to this stage take a breather, grab a Coke and congratulate yourself. Then start tweaking the templates to format the results (perhaps displaying the products in a table). You can also add the navigation features to your templates by including navigation tags (see WM help file).

Good Luck,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

Tia;

First off, let’s visualize what you want to create. Let’s assume that your datafeed includes a field called “Category” and “ProductID”. Let’s also assume that one of the Categories is called “Widget” and one of the products is called “Round Widgets”

In a three tier index you want all the Categories listed in the main index, e.g., Widgets, Didgets, and Fidgets. Clicking on a Category link for Widgets should take you to a Category (SubIndex) page called “Widgets.html” that displays all the Widget products, e.g. Round Widgets, Square Widgets and Triangular Widgets. Clicking on link for “Round Widgets” will take you to the detail page called Round-Widgits.html.

To achieve the above you want WM to create three files for you, index.html, Widgets.html and Round-Widgets.html. How the information appears on those three pages is controlled by your three template files, e.g., let’s call them index-template.html, category-template.html, and product-template.html

You want to create three files, but the current version of WM can only create two levels of files during each setting run – one from the Index pages Tab and one from the Detail Pages Tab. In order to create three levels of linking files you must therefore run two WM settings – first to create Index.html and Widgets.html and second to create Widgets.html (again) and Round-Widgets.html.

The first WM settings file is used to create Index.html and Widgets.html. On the Index Pages tab you should select the index-template.html and selecte “make only one index page.” On the “Detail Pages Tab select the product-template.html (that’s correct) and set the “Name based on contents of field” to “Category.” Run a test and you should end up with one index page and a file for each Category, including Widgets.html. NOTE: The contents of Widgets.html will be the detailed product information for the first Widget in your datafeed. This is correct (but temporary). Save this settings file.

You can now create the second WM file to create Widgets.html (again but to display all Widget products) and Round-Widgets.html. In this settings file on the Index Pages tab select the category-template.index and set “Name based on contents of field” to “Category.” The key to creating tiered indexes in linking the two settings files with a common field, e.g, in this case “Category.” On the “Detail Pages Tab select product-template.html and set the “Name based on contents of field” to “ProductID.” Run a test and you should now end up with index.html (unchanged from the previous run), Widgets.html which now shows a list of all the Widget products, and a detailed product page for each Widget.

When you get to this stage take a breather, grab a Coke and congratulate yourself. Then start tweaking the templates to format the results (perhaps displaying the products in a table). For example, you can add the navigation features to your templates by including navigation tags (see WM help file).

Finally, it is important to remember that to create a complete set of three tiered files you must always run TWO WM settings files consecutively. You can do this manually, or use the option on the Generation Tab to automatically run WM setting file “two” after “one” is completed. A really slick option.

Good Luck,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

[This message was edited by Baertracks on December 05, 2003 at 06:08 PM.]

Thanks Frank, Brilliant
    I was creating the detail pages and sub index first. Still not sure i've got the hang of the Index label tag though, i get the same results not using it as when i try to use it...Maybe thats cos i was doing it the wrong way round.
    I'm slowly getting the hang of this, another question i have, is do you know if i can create folders for the detail pages?
    a "/" in the datafeed somewhere seems to create a folder, just wondering if i can use that to create folders that i want.
    Thanks for your help
    Max

Yes, I believe that you can use the "/" to create folders. However, I have never tried that. Someone else has posted info about that, so you might search WM discussion board for "folder".

I also "clean up" my datafeeds by clearing special characters out of fields used to create file names, e.g., / ( ) and " charaacters.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread