Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It all sounds so confusing. I am scared to even try it. I never got anywhere with the free download. I feel so dumb.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    It is not as bad as it may first appear

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    It all sounds so confusing. I am scared to even try it. I never got anywhere with the free download. I feel so dumb.

_Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!_

__Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way.__ Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sandra,

You can call me anytime, i'll walk you through it for a s long as it takes. It's not that bad...it's really simple once you understand the concept.

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management
    and Consulting Services
    P: (305) 412-3512
    C: (305) 785-4524
    E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

ABW Ambassador
    It took me a while to figure it out, and I almost stopped trying because it was that difficult. However, it clicked, and I could use it to do so much more than I had ever done before.

It is worth the time and effort you invest

Well, Dang! I am already confused. I bought it and got this info.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thank you!
    Your order has been successfully processed by our secured server.
    You will receive two emails: the first is your sales receipt, and later a registration key will be generated and sent in a separate email. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I received two e-mails in return. Sure enough one was the sales receipt but the other had no registration key. But, they had different e-mail address in the from line. (store@fourthworld.com and ambassador@fourthworld.com) I must be waiting for a third e-mail or something.

Heck, I am already ready to give up. I want my momy! I don't do change very well. But, with all my new found hard cash money (see note below), I am going to take the plunge and try to get professional, here. When will I ever have another opportunity? I think learning this data feed stuff is where to start.

Thanks, Andy.

Note: Don't any nere-do-well get any bright ideas. I still ain't stupid, dumb maybe, not stupid!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    It is well worth it

Well, I have a ton of stuff I really truly want to do. I feel I should for Pierced Body, I want to do Betty Mills before the dead line, those socks guys, the skivies guys and OF COURSE all of Andy's stuff just to start.

I can't do this all the old way. I NEED the technology, BADLY, BADLY.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Thanks, Andy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sandra, I'l be in and out today, but you have my 2 numbers in my sig. Call me anytime and i will get you started. It's really very easy once you get the overall picture.

If i don't answer my office, call my cell. I guarantee you will have your first few pages up by this weekend...and making sales by next week if G picks you up...

Better yet, set up any feed from any of my merchants:

1) 5dollarsoftware.com
    2) Superstorelectronics.com
    3) BettyMills.com
    4) bestforeignparts.com (feed being tested)

and I will credit you the $79.00 you paid on your first check from any one of my merchants....

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management
    and Consulting Services
    P: (305) 412-3512
    C: (305) 785-4524
    E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

Andy, I will. I am waiting for the registration key.

Andy sent PM

ambassador@ is richard's direct email -- reply to it and let him know what's up..

You can use the free version to learn on while you're waiting for a reply..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Affiliate Manager
    The order was placed at 4AM PST, and the registration code generated and sent at 7AM PST.

Sorry about the extra email. The credit card processor sometimes sends that in addition to the receipt the storefront sends. I've been trying to get that resolved with the merchant broker, and hopefully will have that done soon.

As for learning WebMerge, have you done the tutorial?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

If I wanted to have the data returned in a table, for instance three results across by four results down, how would I do this?

Not to be snotty but

Thank goodness I have at least SOME computer back ground!!!! Otherwise I wouldn't have ANY clue what this is.

What is very obvious to you is not clear at all to those who do not work with this kind of thing all the time. I do not see how to include the results in tables or how the images are linked or lots of stuff. But then, at this point, I haven't gotten one page made, either.

I talked with Andy and got a bit of a start on it. I'm stuck so I guess I will have to call him again.

Gees, I'm totally lost and frustrated to the point of screeming. First I had to get the cvs data into a stupid text file, no small feat since I had to remove all the pipes, replace them with commas, take them into MSWord, save as excell open in excell resave as txt. Now, I was supposed to do something with web merge. Uh, stuck webmerge code in the page.... the text file was supposed to go somewhere, something about an index page that isn't REALLY an index page and a template that isn't REALLY my template page....NOW it says it can't open the export file!..... damn I need a break.

I'm sure it wil all come together eventually but....

I'M OLD! AND, DAMN I HATE LEARNING NEW STUFF!!!!

But, then, learning was painful when I was young, too.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 05, 2003 at 02:55 PM.]

SSanf;

Please read my recent post to TIA where I outline how to create a three tier index.

I suggest that you begin by using a small test database, i.e., something with less than a 1,000 products. Don't try to tackle BettyMills.

Also, don't worry about the images and tables for starters. Work on getting the settings files to run correctly for the levels that you want to create. Then tweak the format of the template files.

The learning curve for WM is to do a lot of test runs, see the results, make ONE change to a setting file or template file, then do another test run to see the results.

I have a slow Internet connection at the moment (from Kinshasa, Congo), but will be around tomorrow most of the day if you have more questions.

Good Luck.

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

I am so frustrated!!! I know you are trying to help but what do these words MEAN????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Work on getting the settings files to run correctly for the levels that you want to create. Then tweak the format of the template files.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is a settings file? What is a level?

Cripes! Please, try thing-a-ma-jiggy and do dad or even gizmo and I might get somewhere.

I am going to call Andy again.

level = index, category, subcategory, product detail

Settings file -- when you "save" from webmerge or close the program, it saves the current settings of all the dialogs and switches for you. Thereafter, you only have to double-click the settings file when you want to run WebMerge with those settings again.

Every time you run Webmerge, there are either three or four files that control what the output looks like --
    - The settings file stores the state of Webmerge.
    - Export file (aka datafeed) which stores the data
    - The index page template (which tells WebMerge how you want the index page to look and where to put the data)
    - The detail page template (if you are using a multi-tiered heirarchy (more than two levels), then you only need this on the last level -- if you are outputting only to one "index" page, you don't need this at all)

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --

[This message was edited by FFoc on December 05, 2003 at 08:28 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First I had to get the cvs data into a stupid text file, no small feat since I had to remove all the pipes, replace them with commas, take them into MSWord, save as excell open in excell resave as txt. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope Andy has told you how to tell WM what kind of file you have by now so you don't end up doing THAT again! It can accept pipe-delimited .csv files (the kind it sounds like you started with) just fine without modification, as long as you let it know what to expect...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

First I had to get the cvs data into a stupid text file, no small feat since I had to remove all the pipes, replace them with commas, take them into MSWord, save as excell open in excell resave as txt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You don't need to worry about all that hassle -- in the Sources tab, pull down the Presets and choose "Affiliate Feed -- Pipe delimited". WebMerge'll do the Right Thing..

--
    --

No, I can't see what is in the stupid data feed unless I open it that way. It has nothing to do with webmerge. It is the only way I have found to open the feeds that works. I have very old software but two months ago, I didn't even have this.

I am going to buy a bunch of new software.

Andy has been very helpful. We haven't got it yet, but it is much closer.

FFoc thanks for the info!

You should be able to open it directly in excel also -- I don't know the process offhand, since I have Lotus 1-2-3 instead, but I've done it in the past.

--
    --

I want everyone to know that Andy DID spend a very long time helping me with this. The snag we ran into was that I have a very old copy of Front Page which like most old things has a mind of its own and just won't change. And, my Excel is just as old. Until I decided to run around with new software, we seemed to get along just fine. Now, it looks like I will have to ditch them for younger versions.

I feel so disloyal. But, what's a grandma to do? I am ready to run with a younger, faster crowd and they just can't keep up.

Affiliate Manager
    I want everyone to know that Andy DID spend a very long time helping me with this. The snag we ran into was that I have a very old copy of Front Page which like most old things has a mind of its own and just won't change.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry to hear you experienced that. Newer versions of Front Page have the "Automatically Monkey With Your HTML" feature as an option, but it seems they underestimated their audience with earlier versions.

Andy's great. His experience has been tremendously helpful to me in better understanding the needs of affiliates so I can better tailor the program to fit those needs. And his posts here and elsewhere have been helpful for all of us working with affiliate programs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I am ready to run with a younger, faster crowd and they just can't keep up.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With that approach there's nothing you can't accomplish.

One thing I like about being over 40: In the '90s when 20-somethings would come up to me with their "mindshare is more important than profit" line, I had enough experience to know that you can't pay the rent with "mindshare". Most companies driven by "mindshare" are gone, but on 4/4/04 Fourth World celebrates 10 years in business.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Well, I went out and bought the Front page update. But, guess what. I can't use it because I have windows 98. So, to use the Front Page that would enable me to use the Webmerge, I will have to buy a newer version of Windows and my son tells me that I could loose every thing on my hard drive!

Anybody know where we can get a free copy of Dreamweaver for Ssanf? Ver. 4.0 will work fine.

Serious question folks

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast