I have a fairly powerful computer but the 900 pages generated just choke Dreamweaver terribly. I can't ftp all 900 at one time but only about 50 per shot and even then some pages never made it to the server. Before that I tried ws_ftp and every time I changed the directory to the one with the 800 pages the program crashed!
    Then I tried the ftp option in WM and it worked perfectly. Loved it! Except, I'd really like to view the files created before I upload them. Is there a way to use WM's ftp just when I need it and not just automatically after all of the files are created?
    By the way, before I bought WM I looked at the instructions, read the posts on this forum and ran for cover. Looked at a bunch of WM's competitor's and they all came up short. One wouldn't even run on my XP Pro computer. In desperation I went back to WM. I haven't done anything really complicated yet but just a little trial and error and I have 900 additional pages on one of my sites. Beautiful. Love it. Just what I had been looking for to convert raw data I collected into money pages.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've always zipped those big folders to send them through DW's FTP.

I'll have to try sending some through the WM ftp. Although for the really big sections, I'd think it'd still be a lot faster to "zip 'em and ship 'em" because a zip file is compressed and apparently WM sends the data uncompressed.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Leader,
    Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    Could you explain how to FTP a zipped folder to a server and then have it unzipped on the other side? or Do you have someplace where I could read how this works?
    Thanks.

Welcome to the world of data feeds!

That didn't help, did it? - sorry.

Leader's advice is good, and most ftp clients will handle one file better than many, even if it is a large file.

WM's ftp feature is pretty robust, so you ought to be able to get it done that way too. I've had to experiment with the settings a little to make it work, so hang in there.

btw, I finally gave up on these methods when I started getting into the really big feeds (30,000 plus). So I converted an old machine to Mandrake Linux, and I have WM write to that machine over my little network. Then I upload everything from the Linux box - never fails.

Just keep at it, you'll get it working.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

"Could you explain how to FTP a zipped folder to a server and then have it unzipped on the other side? "

Best way is to archive and compress into a gzip format. Then use the shell to uncompress once at the server.

I think there is a way to uncompress a regular zip file with an ftp client, but I can't remember how. (I know that's no help - sorry).

Fred

Jim;

Here's what I wrote in an earlier post:

If your webhosting account permits Telnet or Shell access you can cut down your uploading time by zipping the files before uploading them, and then unzipping them.

In my case, for example, I use PowerZip to zip an entire WM-created website that may include several thousand pages. This process creates a .tgz file, e.g., FILENAME.TGZ

I use WS-FTP to upload the zipped file to my website. Then, I use the PUTTY utility to access my account through an SSH connection. The unzipping commands require two steps:

First, to unzip the file use
    GUNZIP FILENAME.TGZ
    This will unzip the file and create one file call FILENAME.TAR.

Second, to expand the tar file use
    TAR XVF FILENAME.TAR.
    This expands the tar file to release the thousand WM created webpages.

Total time to creative, zip, upload, and unzip 4,000 webpages is less than 15 minutes (with a broadband connection).

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Jim, for what it's worth, WS_FTP has never been reliable for me either, when dealing with a large number of files.

I use FlashFXP or Bulletproof FTP (I prefer the former) and they both have been quite reliable for uploading large numbers of files.

-- Mike

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."
    -- Willa Cather

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Could you explain how to FTP a zipped folder to a server and then have it unzipped on the other side? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I send the zip file to the site I want it to end up in, using Dreamweaver's FTP function.

Then SSH or telnet into the server with PuTTy, go to the directory the site's in, and enter

unzip (filename.zip)

Of course, replace "filename.zip" with the actual filename.

That should do it, assuming the zip/unzip util is installed on the server, that is.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

The key here (next step), is to ensure you have a shell account from your host. Some don't like httpme

If the terms Shell, Telnet, and ssh are foreign to you, then you'll need to do some studying, and are beyond the scope of time we can give you here to help you learn that from the ground up (unlesss someone has the time to carefully explain it?).

This is another essential part of the datafeed world. Like it or not, handling large numbers of files easily is very important. If it is cumbersome, then it will become a real PITA fast!

Fred

You can skip the gunzip step by applying the -z flag.

instead of:

gunzip foo.tgz
    tar -xvf foo.tar

just
    tar -xvzf foo.tgz will do it.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread