Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello,

Is there a way to turn off the inclusion of the following code?:

<meta name="generator" content="Fourth World WebMerge 2.2 build 3">

It is annoying to have to do a find and replace on all the pages.

Thanks

[This message was edited by defanjos on January 17, 2004 at 11:59 AM.]

When you use find and replace, choose the whole folder instead of the single page. This way it's all done at once.

kellyoconnor,

Thanks, that is the way I do it.
    But, isn't there a way to turn it off in WM?

Oh I'm so sorry, I must be out of my mind today with this sultry weather here in Massachusetts. I'm thinking of purchasing wm and have been trying to learn it the past few days. I've been at this forum trying to figure it out, while at the same time working on other projects in another ftp program. I somehow lost my mind and was thinking I had the answer for you, completly forgeting where the heck I was on the ABW forums. Well - just a case of temporary insanity. forgeta bout' it

kellyoconnor,

Don't be sorry at all - I probably did not phrase my question clearly.

Btw, WM is a great product.

Go to the Generation tab.
    Then look at the bottom right hand corner.
    Uncheck the "Include "Built by WebMerge".
    This is what creates the "generator" meta tag.

emione,

Thanks, but my version (2.2) does not have that choice.

?? Mine doesn't have anywhere to uncheck it and it caused me problems with the images. Do I need to update webmerge or something? I just got it a few weeks ago.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

First, the last couple of releases (over the last six-months) have a check box on the last tab, allowing one to turn the tag on-and-off.

Why not upgrade to the latest version - it's free? Then you won't have to waste your time doing search and replaces.

After upgrading, don't forget to move your "4WWebMerge2.dat" file to the new directory (if one was created during the install). That file has your preferences and "favorites" in it.

You don't have a "cracked" copy do you?

Good luck.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why not upgrade to the latest version - it's free? Then you won't have to waste your time doing search and replaces. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, v2.3 lets you stop it from putting that line in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it caused me problems with the images.~Ssanf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It shouldn't do anything to the images, it's just a line in the head section...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Well, when I tried to move the pages to another folder where I was designing the site in Front Page, it added a lot of Cr*p to the image URL that said something about

src=Original%20Folder%20Name%20Webmerge%20Something%20or%20Other%URL

I had a heck of a time getting rid of it because it was different on every page depending on what folder the page was created in.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You don't have a "cracked" copy do you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What, who me? I need all the support I can get and must pay for it when necessary.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> After upgrading, don't forget to move your "4WWebMerge2.dat" file to the new directory (if one was created during the install). That file has your preferences and "favorites" in it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Uh, say what????!!!! Guess, I better not upgrade, huh?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I know we all like our applications, you know the ones we learned on and don't feel like spending years learning a new one (I have a few), but Frônt Pâge =

Leader is right, I don't know how that would affect anything in the way of images. But Frônt Pâge has been known to do many strange and unexplainable things.

As far as having a crâcked copy, I wasn't actually referring to you. But, I enjoyed your response

Lastly, go get the latest version right now. You'll need your registration information (sent to you by email). Downloading WM basically puts a new version of the program on your computer.

As for the file. Do you have some favorites saved? If not, then don't worry about it. If you do, remember to save that file (mentioned above). You can just drag and drop the old one onto the new one and overwrite after the install. It is found in the /Program Files/4W WebMerge 2.3 directory. It's right there next to the 4W Webmerge 2.3.exe file.

Ssanf, if you have trouble, just let me know, and I'll walk you through it.

Fred

Favorites? The only place I know of for favorites is my bookmarks. That couldn't be what you mean? I went and looked in Windows Explorer and I don't see anything in webmerge about favorites there. But, there is a Journal with Adams Diary and Eves Diary. What are those for? Also There is something about "Example" What is that and how am I supposed to use it?

What is this stuff in the Template folder?

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Favorites? The only place I know of for favorites is my bookmarks. That couldn't be what you mean? I went and looked in Windows Explorer and I don't see anything in webmerge about favorites there. But, there is a Journal with Adams Diary and Eves Diary. What are those for? Also There is something about "Example" What is that and how am I supposed to use it?

What is this stuff in the Template folder?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those examples are in the Examples folder to help you see how the tags work in three different sites. Each is explained in the Help section titled "Examples".

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    ?? Mine doesn't have anywhere to uncheck it and it caused me problems with the images. Do I need to update webmerge or something? I just got it a few weeks ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WebMerge is continually being enhanced, with a new version available at least every month or two. Version 2.3 was released on 12 December.

Thus far all upgrades have been free, and even when we start charging for upgrades with v3.0, customers will still get that and any other upgrades free for a full year from the date of purchase.

So grab v2.3 and enjoy the features you folks have been asking for.

--
    Richard Gaskin

places.

I need another data feed to work on to see if I can do this faster next time. I guess, I learned a lot but it took me forever to figure out how to do the keywords, title, headings and so forth. I did it wrong a couple of times and then had to go back and re-do the changes I had made to the feed and so forth. It really took a couple of days to put the site together.

But, I think the next one will go faster now that I see the pattern. That is, if I have a good feed. I guess, I will have to go through my folders and see what I have that I haven't already done.

I have been using feeds for a while now but I just cut and paste pre-written code into the columns next to the relevant places in the feed, copy and paste into a template. Very low tech.

[This message was edited by SSanf on January 17, 2004 at 08:49 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know we all like our applications, you know the ones we learned on and don't feel like spending years learning a new one (I have a few), but Frônt Pâge = <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

buy_online,
    I agree, previous versions of FrontPage use to do some strange things, especially v.2002; but v.2003 doesnt appear to put in as much crap.

SSanf,
    If you havent tried FrontPage 2003 yet, I think it's far superior to the previous versions. The new version is easier to work with and it appears to create cleaner code than previous versions. I've only had the new version for a little over a month, but I'm very happy with it compared to my previous 2002 version. I'm sure I'll still find some small faults with the new version, but I think it was worth the money.

I think I went around on all this before. I can't get FP 2003 because I have windows 98. I can't get Windows 2003 or what ever it is unless I get a new computer and so on and on....

I don't want to get a new computer because this is almost NEW!!! I have only had it a few years for pity sakes. Cripes! I just bought a keyboard that has letters and the letters aren't even worn off yet! What more do you want, anyway?

Ssanf,

The "Favorites" I was referring to are part of WM, NOT explorer.

You see, WM has a neat little feature, that's kind of like a "Recently Used" file list. Instead of hunting for the WM file each time, it's right there in the pull-down.

So the short story here is - forget it for now !

As far as a new computer - forget it it (mostly). I am using WM on Win98. I recently upgraded my pc from 350MHz to 1700Mhz - helped a lot, and only cost about $250. There are all sorts of things you can do to make this work. You can always upgrade your OS after that.

Fred

http and a telephoto
    Front page 2002 does that to text that is not pasted as html. And you can't paste it right into html view. I use it for editing, and don't use any of the components, but there are some nice templates and features that make it useful. I actually haven't touched FP in a year, I agree that it is nasty, but with WebMerge it makes a nice fit for some sites. Just don't open the site in FP after you have created the 30,000 pages!!!!! You can go out for coffee and it still won't be open when you come home.

I may look into FP2003 if they have really tightened up the code and don't add a duplicate of every file in the hidden directories.

Dreamweaver and WordPad are actually my tools of choice

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

Affiliate Manager
    Tip: Most WYSIWYG HTML tools like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, and GoLive provide an option to work directly in HTML source. If you use WebMerge's TagMaker tool (see the Tools menu) you can construct tags quickly and then paste them into your HTML tool in one step.

--
    Richard Gaskin

My Front page doesn't have that feature. So, I have to work around it somehow.

What is the Untitled.4ww file in the folder where the pages are created? What is it for and is it safe to delete it?

Ok, upgraded to version 2.3 - problem solved.
    Thanks

Ssanf, that "Untitled.4ww" file holds the WM settings used to create your pages.

I'd certainly save it -- it lets you re-run WM again in case you make changes to your template and want to rebuild those .html files again.

I usually rename that file to match the vendor's name or the directory name, to avoid confusion.

Double-clicking on that file will bring up WM and load those settings automatically.

-- Mike

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."
    -- Willa Cather

http and a telephoto
    I usually put that file in the same directoy as the datafeed and name it the same as the merchant name so I can find it easily.

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast