As many here have note the instructions are a bit rough for someone with little coding experiance. Does anyone know where the instrucitons can be printed out?

Sure wish this software had a real help file.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs

I agree. I have WebMerge 2.3 for over a week now and haven't had any luck. The forums are great, with a lot of knowledgable people, but the program lacks any step by step examples of how to build a 2, 3 or 4 tier webpage.

I am almost ready to give up on webmerge, but not quite because I really need it.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Email Richard directly using the fourthword "contact link onthe top of this page.

Webmerge does take some time to learn but once you do it is well worth it. All you need to know is some html and how to insert the code in the right places.

As for tiered pages. Basically (I wish it ws more basic but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad a process) you create a process for each tier, make your index.html page and detailed page(base name on the category field in your feed), younow have the the first level. Then start a new session of webmerge, this time select "name based on contents of field" for the index pages and choose the same category as you choose in the first session. Then make another detail page with then next category field.

Keep doing this for every level. If your listing products, more than one per page, I recommend ending your last tier with an index page, if not the detailed pages tend to only show the first product in your datafeed.

I wish i could explain it better but it took me a while to get it to work right and it's a little diffcult to explain via text directions.

Hillbillie, don't give up! I have no formal programming experience, but was able to create a basic template that has served my uses for many sites. It was frustrating at first, but once you get the template down you are all set.

Follow the advice DFL just gave, and tiered pages are not too hard.

Would it not be much simpler for us novices if someone were to give us a 3-tier working example as per those currently in the tutorials. I learnt WM by highjacking those and adapting to my requirements within one day.

Great Forum! Jeff

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian-www.my-affiliate-programs.com:
    As many here have note the instructions are a bit rough for someone with little coding experiance. Does anyone know where the instrucitons can be printed out?

Sure wish this software had a real help file.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many products from Adobe, Macromedia, and other major vendors use HTML for their software documentation, and most of our customers enjoy it over the ever-changing formats for Windows or Mac-specific Helpfiles.

But I agree a PDF of the documentation would be helpful, and have written a tool to generate this. I should be able to generate that and post it to my site next week if you still need it.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffJohn:
    Would it not be much simpler for us novices if someone were to give us a 3-tier working example as per those currently in the tutorials. I learnt WM by highjacking those and adapting to my requirements within one day.

Great Forum! Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 3-tier working example would be the bomb I am still learning of course, but the problem noted above where the category goes to the first product and not a list is one that I need to conquer. I don't want to sell just one product per category...

So like: index/category or manufacturer pages/product listing within category/detail

Is that 3-tier or 4 tier- to make myself sound REALLY stupid...
    Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

I outlined the steps to create a three tier website in "Lessons Learned". This is probably as close as you will come at this time to printable instructions.

This process creates an second tier category that displays each category and a thumbnail of the first item/product in that category. The link, however, does not go to that one product, but rather takes to you the third tier subcategory pages where thumbnails and links to ALL the products in that category are displayed.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

I would suggest that there is a tutorial where an actual datafeed from a merchant is taken. Then steps are told how to put it into a template etc etc.

Why not show how to do it step by step in a tutorial. Then people can say, I'm stuck at point 2 B etc etc. I think this would be helpful and people can learn how to use it that don't know. The demo isn't an affiliate site so it doesn't seem applicable to affiliate marketing.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reflections:
    I would suggest that there is a tutorial where an actual datafeed from a merchant is taken. Then steps are told how to put it into a template etc etc.

Why not show how to do it step by step in a tutorial. Then people can say, I'm stuck at point 2 B etc etc. I think this would be helpful and people can learn how to use it that don't know. The demo isn't an affiliate site so it doesn't seem applicable to affiliate marketing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My offer still stands: if someone wants a little noteriety and some extra hits I'll happily include a datafeed example if you care to share one.

I'm trying to keep focused on adding new features, so I probably wouldn't be able to get to that for some time...

--
    Richard Gaskin

Richard-

Since there are a lot of free datafeeds available, couldn't you just take one and use it as a demo? Is there a reason why a merchant or someone else has to get involved in this project? A lot of us have no idea what pipe means, delimited, whether to download in cvs or text etc. This could just be a basic way to get started. Even if other datafeeds have different formats, it could be a way to just SEE how it's done for one merchant.

Obviously people that have mastered this probably don't want more competition so I would think it would be up to 4th world to just pick a datafeed that's offered for free and set up a demo. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure it would increase your sales since many people give up trying to figure out webmerge.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reflections:
    Since there are a lot of free datafeeds available, couldn't you just take one and use it as a demo?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If only my customers would let me do that. Between support, redesigning the engine for v3.0, and working on the new naming options for v2.4, I barely have time for even a semblance of a social life.

I'll try to get to it, but the v2.4 feature set and the v3.0 engine are higher priorities, and very time-intensive.

So while I'm doing the things that the require me specifically I wanted to at least make the offer for the things that others can do. Somewhere out there is a Web designer with some time on their hands looking for extra hits....

--
    Richard Gaskin

Hi Richard,

It might be worth it to higher someone to do it if you are busy since I know at least 5 people who have downloaded trial and didn't know what to do with it vis a vis affiliate datafeeds.
    You'd probably make up your money 20x.

I didn't see your original post, but an affiliate who figured it out I doubt would want to give away their templates or technique. If your appeal was to a merchant, most aren't designing pages themselves. I also don't see why a merchant would particularly want hits since most affiliates aren't looking to purchase anything but to market products.

All I'm saying is that there are many of us that do make plenty of html pages but are completely lost when it comes to using webmerge and with a tutorial step by step could use the program.
    You might want to do a followup on people who download the trial but never purchase and see if confusion in using software is the reason.

PS I know what you mean about having no life...

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread