I've just noticed something that only become apparent when processing large feeds of about 30,000+ records - Webmerge starts to slow down.

For example, at the start of the run, Webmerge may be generating say 1000 files per minute - but by the time you are up to record #30,000 it will have slowed to say 3-400 files per minute.

So a 40,000 record feed does not take 10 times longer to run than a 4,000 record feed - it will probably take about 20 times longer.

Is this down to Webmerge - or maybe all software of this type has a tendancy to do this?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is this down to Webmerge - or maybe all software of this type has a tendancy to do this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just WM--in fact, WM's one of the better ones.

For instance, try a find/replace in Dreamweaver for a large amount of files and by the end of the run it'll only do one change per second--or less! Needless to say, that adds up to hours when there's a big bunch of files to do...

Compared to that, the slowdown in WM is hardly noticable. I've also noticed that WM doesn't slow down every time there's a large amount of files, but DW always does.

I often find it is a lot quicker to just rerun a section through WM with updated templates, than it is to find/replace something in Dreamweaver--even when the thing that needs changing is only some little thing like the copyright date!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread