Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have been using WebMerge for two weeks to create six websites varying from 100 to 30,000 pages (the BettyMills datafeed). Here are a couple of things that I have learned along the way which may be useful to other users:

1) At first, based on some other posts that I read, I thought that I had to break down large datafeeds into separate data files, e.g., one for the product data, and one to create an index page with categories. I finally realized that WebMerge can generate index files using the IndexLabel tag. Using this approach I was able, for example, to create a three tiered index system (Primary, SubDirectory and Category) directly from the BettyMills datafeed. You can view the results at http://creativehardwarestore.com. This website required WM five template files and four WM settings files run successively from the same data file. By the way, the total time for to create 30,000 pages was 45 minutes on a P4, 1.4 GHz computer with 512 MB Ram.

2) The main data problems that I have encountered (with BettyMills and other datafeeds) are "/" characters in data fields that are used to create file names. With the BettyMills datafeed, for example, I had to remove these "/" in the Product ID and Category fields.

3) I found that the number of records reportedly scanned by WebMerge was sometimes greater than the actual number of records in my Excel spreadsheet. I finally realized that I had “deleted” data records in my Excel spreadsheet, but that these records were still showing up in the exported data as blanks. Perhaps I “blanked” the lines instead of deleting them. The simple solution was to copy all of the data lines to a new page in the spreadsheet just before exporting them.

4) Using WebMerge to create an 3 x 4 table to display groups of items works great. This important feature merits better documentation in the WebMerge help file. I previously reported a problem with data being skipped in the first row of the table. The last version of WebMerge seems to solve most (but not yet all) of this problem.

I am very happy with WebMerge, and would encourage anyone who is still "testing" the product, to make the purchase. I look forward to creating and updating many more websites using WebMerge.

Regards,
    FRANK
    Bemorecreative.com

ABW Ambassador
    Just curious does creativehardwarestore.com convert? From the main page it is about 5,000 clicks to a product page. Are these picked up by google?

Thanks

Time will tell. CreativeHardwareStore.com was just uploaded yesterday.

My experience in creating another large website, BeMoreCreativeGifts.com as an affiliate of GoCollect.com has been very positive. The pages are picked up by Google and conversions have been excellent.

However, your point is well taken. Is there a way to create a two or three tiered index in one step and on one WebPage using WM?

ABW Ambassador
    Baertracks,

You have hit upon the one quintessential issue with webmerge. WM's inability to create complex hierarchies without creating multiple indices, detail pages, and runs (we've been told that this issue is being worked on). I too have successfully created multi-tiered hierarchies with WM (with MUCH trial and error of course). You should give yourself a huge kudo for this one feat alone as it is the one 'trick' that seems to elude most WM users and the one sorely missed sample in the help files.

...this one's for you

Thanks Stanley. It's good to know that I am on the right track.

Speaking of "tricks" and Lessons Learned, I am looking for an easier way to create multiple and successive WebPages with tables of products within the same category. For example, I may have 100+ products in one category of a large datafeed. In order to avoid creating a humongous table with 100 cells to display those products, I need a way to break the category into a series of tables and pages, e.g., 24 products per table per page.

WM provides an option to create a new index page after “n” items OR when a variable name changes. What I need is a feature that combines the two, i.e., creates a new index page after “n” records WITHIN a category. Might this be done using an “IF” statement? I haven’t yet tackled at that level of WM.

My workaround is to redefine the field “Category” to create a new field called “CategoryNBR” in my datafeed that changes every “Nth” record for categories with more than 24 products. For example, in a category of 100+ products called “Ballpoints” I now have Category names called “Ballpoints” (records 1-24), “Ballpoints1” (records 25-48), and so on. I then set WM to create index pages based on the contents of the field “CategoryNBR.” This does the job, but it does require some extra data manipulation each time I download a new datafeed.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    bemorecreative.com

Great points Frank

Stanley's observation about hierachical builds, is (I think) extremely important. Making a site with for example books or DVD's from Overstock is a huge pain.

I hope we can see this soon.

I will say this much about Richard and his product. It wasn't just created and forgotten. He seems to work on it pretty consistently. So thank you to Richard.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Baertracks,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Using this approach I was able, for example, to create a three tiered index system (Primary, SubDirectory and Category) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This website required WM five template files and four WM settings files run successively from the same data file. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Can you explain a bit more how you did this? This is exactly what I have been trying unsuccessfully to do!

Candace

Candace;

Quote:

Using BettyMills data as an example, the datafeed includes three fields that can be used to create a three leveled index, i.e., SUPERCATEGORY, MAINCATEGORY and SUBCATEGORY. Note that it is necessary to sort the data by columns SUPERCATEGORY, MAINCATEGORY and SUBCATEGORY before exporting it as a WM datafile.

Two elements are key to creating a multi-tiered index system – 1) using the “IndexLabel” tag as part of a template file for each level of the index and 2) using successive WW settings files linked by the indexing field names.

THE INDEXLABEL TAG:

The index template file (one for each level) uses the “IndexLabel” tag to create an list of all the variables for that level. For example, here are the tags used in the SUPERCAT template linked to the “Index Pages” tab within WM.

[WM-RECORD]
    [WM-IndexLabel SUPERCATEGORY]
    [WM-FIELD: SUPERCATEGORY]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]

To create the index in pictures requires a similar setup of tags:

[WM-RECORD]
    [WM-IndexLabel SUPERCATEGORY]
    [WM-IMAGEPATH: THUMBNAILURL]
    [WM-FIELD: SUPERCATEGORY]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]

THE WM SETTINGS FILE:

The second key element is using successive WW settings files linked by the indexing field names. I begin by quoting from the WM FAQ written on this topic “How do I create three-level hierarchies?” Richard says:

BEGIN QUOTE: The basic rule is that a given WebMerge settings file will be well suited for one pair of hierarchical elements, such as index pages and detail pages. If you need multiple hierarchies then you would create a separate settings file for each.

The trick is to make sure that your pages at each level of the hierarchy are generated using the same naming method. For example, if you want a three-level set of pages, your first settings file creates a list of categories as the index page, linking to a set of empty detail pages. In the second settings file, your index pages will overwrite the empty pages from the first settings file, with detail pages providing the actual product info.

Keep in mind that you can queue up multiple settings files to run in a batch (see the Generation tab), so once you're set up you can generate all your pages with one click. END QUOTE

Again using BettyMills as an example, this required four WM settings files. Note how the field names used for the index are linked between WM settings files:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    WMsettings1: With the Index Pages tab (Linked to SUPERCAT template and set to Make only one index page) and Detail Pages tab (Linked to DETAILED template and Name based on SuperCategory)

WMsettings2: With the Index Pages tab (Linked to MAINCAT template and set to Name based on SuperCategory) and Detail Pages (Linked to DETAILED template and Name based on MainCategory)

WMsettings3: With the Index Pages tab (Linked to SUBCAT template and Name based on MainCategory) and Detail Pages tab (Linked to DETAILED template and Name based on SubCategory)

WMsettings4: With the Index Pages tab (Linked to a CATEGORY template and Name based on SubCategory) and Detail Pages tab (Linked to DETAILED template and Name based on ProductID)
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

When WMsettings1 is run it will create one index file (index.html) that includes a list of all the supercategories. Also one detailed file is created and named for each supercategory. These latter files are simply “placeholder files” that will be overwritten when you run WMsettings2.

The WMSettings2 run creates a list of all the maincategories (for each supercategory) in each of the “placeholder” supercategory pages. It also creates and names one detailed placeholder file for each maincategory.

The WMSettings3 run creates a list of all the subcategories (for each maincategory) in each of the “placeholder” maincategory pages. It also creates and names one detailed file for each subcategory.

The WMSettings4 run creates (in my case) one table showing thumbnails of all the products for each subcategory on each of the “placeholder” subcategory pages. It also creates and names the final detailed product files using the productID field.

A significant disadvantage of this approach is that it creates a separate index and webpage for each index. This requires a visitor to your website to click through each level of the index and as “Chez Noir” noted in a previous post “The main page it is about 5,000 clicks to a product page.”

You might consider, therefore, using the above approach to create the HTML codes for the indexes, and then merge data to create a combined indexes, e.g., one that includes both SUPERcategories and MAINcategories. If you take a look at http://CheerfulCandles.com, you will see that I used this approach to combine two index levels into one index. I then cut and pasted this index into a new WM template (instead of using the indexlabel tag. Then, I created and ran a new WM settings file to insert that combined index into each webpage. This allows a visitor to go directly to a specific product category.

I hope that you will find this helpful. Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    bemorecreative.com

Thank you, thank you, thank you Frank for this!
    Candace

Affiliate Manager
    I nominate Frank as Poster of the Month.

His comments have been prompt, thorough, and extremely helpul.

Thank you for taking the time, Frank. If I had a second product you'd get a free copy (feel free to remind me of that when I do).

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Thanks Richard (and Candace). As Mark Twain once said, "I can live for two months on a good compliment."

The "second product" that I would like to see (and get free!) is the script version of WebMerge that runs directly from my server so that I don't have to upload 30,000 Betty Mills product Webpages. Is this on the Wish List?

Meanwhile, the best tool that I have found for zipping files offline (in Windows) and unzipping them online (in Unix) is PowerZip. It works great IF you have shell access to your account.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Thanks Richard (and Candace). As Mark Twain once said, "I can live for two months on a good compliment."

The "second product" that I would like to see (and get free!) is the script version of WebMerge that runs directly from my server so that I don't have to upload 30,000 Betty Mills product Webpages. Is this on the Wish List?

Meanwhile, the best tool that I have found for zipping files offline (in Windows) and unzipping them online (in Unix) is PowerZip. It works great IF you have shell access to your account.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Building a CGI version of WebMerge may be easier than you think. I'd been putting it off because most folks with the experience to set up a CGI are aleady using a live database, but as the number of requests for this grows I'm moving it up on the priority list.

And yes, it'll have built-in gzip decompression.

Does you ISP let you run compiled CGIs?

--
    Richard Gaskin

Yes, I believe that running a compiled CGI would be possible, although I am not doing so at the moment. My ISP has been very accomodating to meet my specific needs.

I find that most of the datafeeds that I am using need to be "cleaned up" and tested offline. So, unless the datafeed is really large (GoCollect.com or BettyMills) the advantage to me of doing everything online is minimal.

On the other hand having an option in WM to create an index webpage that imports data (thumbnail images) from "n" records into a n x n table WITHIN a Field (CATEGORY) would be a much higher priority to me.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks

(bump)(bump)

i hope this thread continues. this is very informative.

thanks Baertracks for sharing your experience.

cheers.

prix

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    You have hit upon the one quintessential issue with webmerge. WM's inability to create complex hierarchies without creating multiple indices, detail pages, and runs (we've been told that this issue is being worked on).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but in terms of actual steps it won't be easy to reduce them without sacrificing flexibility.

For each level in the hierarchy you need to be able to set these options:

- source
    - its delimiters
    - template for the list view
    - template for the view being linked to
    - naming options for the list view
    - naming options for the view being linked to

With the subset of our customers using affiliate datafeeds the source and delimiters usually won't change, so using Save As to create the settings for the new level will preserve those and save you three clicks.

In terms of how the program displays all this for different levels, that's the key focus for the future. I have many sketches of different ways to do that, but none have yet stood out as the simplest.

So tell me: if you were sitting down with WebMerge 3.0 right now and it had the simplest possible way to set up multiple hierarchies, what would it look like? What steps would you expect to perform to set it up?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Richard;

I think that some folks are struggling with understanding how (and why) they need to set up three (or more) WM settings file AND how to link between them correctly to create multi-level indices.

I don’t know if this would be the simplest way, but my vision for WM 3.0 would be a control panel as shown at http://bemorecreative.com/Webmerge3.gif that would add three tabs (ML-1, ML-2, ML-3) for generating multiple hierarchies.

The additional ML tabs would remain dimmed under normal WebMerge operations. You would activate this advanced function by clicking an “activate multilevel hierarchies” box on each ML tab. Once activated, each tab would prompt you to identify the field and the template to be used for generating the hierarchy.

Assuming, for example, that I am using a datafeed that has fields designated for “Category” and “SubCategory” (which is pretty common), and that I want to generate a multilevel hierarchies that include an overall index page, category indices, subcategory indices, and detail pages, here are the steps that I would complete:

1) Activate the ML-1 and ML-2 tabs.
    2) Select the Category Field and Category template on the ML-1 tab
    3) Select the SubCategory Field and SubCategory template on the ML-2
    4) Click “Build Pages”

When I click “Build Pages” WebMerge automatically runs the appropriate settings configurations (three in total but now invisible to the user) to generate all the page for each level of the hierarchy.

In addition to the above, I would also like to have a function on each ML tab to generate a new index page for that level after a specified number of records. For example, if I have 90 products within my WIDGIT subcategory and I want to display 24 products (or “X” products) on a subcategory page, this function would create three subcategory pages - WIDGIT1.html, WIDGIT2.html, WIDGIT3.html with 24 products and WIDGIT4.html 18 products.

WM 2.3 is already a great product. I am sure that WM 3.0 will be even better.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Richard;

I think that some folks are struggling with understanding how (and why) they need to set up three (or more) WM settings file AND how to link between them correctly to create multi-level indices.

I don’t know if this would be the simplest way, but my vision for WM 3.0 would be a control panel as shown at http://bemorecreative.com/Webmerge3.gif that would add three tabs (ML-1, ML-2, ML-3) for generating multiple hierarchies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow - way cool. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I thought about tabs, but I need to support any number of levels; some of our customers have more than four levels to their hierarchy.

I'm exploring a tree view at the moment. I generally hate them because the standard Windows implementation contains so much viual noise, but I think I may be able to simplify it....

--
    Richard Gaskin

Richard;

I find it hard to imagine using more than four levels to their hierarchy, but I suppose anything is possible. And if you had a WM interface with 2 or 3 WM tabs, couldn't you still fun two settings files sucessively to create an unlimited number of heirarchies?

Perhaps this is something that you might want to poll users on, i.e., the number of levels that they need/prefere and/or the type graphical interface. I'd vote for the format that is easiest for newbie WebMergers to use.

By the way, how do you officially count heirarchies? Would a website with a HOME index, SuperCategory Index, Category Index, SubCategory Index, and product pages be counted as four or five multilevel heirarchies?

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks

TIA WROTE
    -----------------------------------------------
    I have read Lessons learned, and that helped alot but i just cant seem to recreate what it says to do, the sub index pages just keep linking to the first detail page in the sub category and not the rest.

I'm slowly getting my head round this just need someone to explain and make it 'click' for me!
    -----------------------------------------------

First off, let’s visualize what you want to create. Let’s assume that your datafeed includes a field called “Category” and “ProductID”. Let’s also assume that one of the Categories is called “Widget” and one of the products is called “Round Widgets”

In a three tier index you want all the Categories listed in the main index, e.g., Widgets, Didgets, and Fidgets. Clicking on a Category link for Widgets should take you to a Category (SubIndex) page called “Widgets.html” that displays all the Widget products, e.g. Round Widgets, Square Widgets and Triangular Widgets. Clicking on link for “Round Widgets” will take you to the detail page called Round-Widgits.html.

To achieve the above you want WM to create three files for you, index.html, Widgets.html and Round-Widgets.html. How the information appears on those three pages is controlled by your three template files, e.g., let’s call them index-template.html, category-template.html, and product-template.html

You want to create three files, but the current version of WM can only create two levels of files each time you run a WM settings file – one from the Index pages Tab and one from the Detail Pages Tab. In order to create three levels of linking files you must therefore run two WM settings – first to create Index.html and Widgets.html and second to create Widgets.html (again) and Round-Widgets.html.

The first WM settings file is used to create Index.html and Widgets.html. On the Index Pages tab you should select the index-template.html and selecte “make only one index page.” On the “Detail Pages Tab select the product-template.html (that’s correct) and set the “Name based on contents of field” to “Category.” Run a test and you should end up with one index page and a file for each Category, including Widgets.html. NOTE: The contents of Widgets.html will be the detailed product information for the first Widget in your datafeed. This is correct (but temporary). Save this settings file.

You can now create the second WM file to create Widgets.html (again but to display all Widget products) and Round-Widgets.html. In this settings file on the Index Pages tab select the category-template.index and set “Name based on contents of field” to “Category.” The key to creating tiered indexes in linking the two settings files with a common field, e.g, in this case “Category.” On the “Detail Pages Tab select product-template.html and set the “Name based on contents of field” to “ProductID.” Run a test and you should now end up with index.html (unchanged from the previous run), Widgets.html which now shows a list of all the Widget products, and a detailed product page for each Widget.

When you get to this stage take a breather, grab a Coke and congratulate yourself. Then start tweaking the templates to format the results (perhaps displaying the products in a table). You can also add the navigation features to your templates by including navigation tags (see WM help file).

Finally, it is important to remember that to create a complete set of three tiered files you must always run TWO WM settings files consecutively. You can do this manually, or use the option on the Generation Tab to automatically run WM setting file “two” after “one” is completed. A really slick option.

Good Luck,

FRANK
    Baertracks

Ooops. The above message was posted in duplicate. Since this forum doesn't allow me to delete this posting, I'll provide this "duplicate" quotation instead.

"Making duplicate copies and computer printouts of things no one wanted even one of in the first place is giving America a new sense of purpose."
    -- Andy Rooney.

Regards,
    FRANK
    http://CreativeQuotations.com

[This message was edited by Baertracks on December 07, 2003 at 01:03 AM.]

Thanks Stanley. It's good to know that I am on the right track.

Speaking of "tricks" and Lessons Learned, I am looking for an easier way to create multiple and successive WebPages with tables of products within the same category. For example, I may have 100+ products in one category of a large datafeed. In order to avoid creating a humongous table with 100 cells to display those products, I need a way to break the category into a series of tables and pages, e.g., 24 products per table per page.

WM provides an option to create a new index page after “n” items OR when a variable name changes. What I need is a feature that combines the two, i.e., creates a new index page after “n” records WITHIN a category. Might this be done using an “IF” statement? I haven’t yet tackled at that level of WM.

My workaround is to redefine the field “Category” to create a new field called “CategoryNBR” in my datafeed that changes every “Nth” record for categories with more than 24 products. For example, in a category of 100+ products called “Ballpoints” I now have Category names called “Ballpoints” (records 1-24), “Ballpoints1” (records 25-48), and so on. I then set WM to create index pages based on the contents of the field “CategoryNBR.” This does the job, but it does require some extra data manipulation each time I download a new datafeed.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks
    bemorecreative.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Frank,

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to do that which you're doing. I was wondering if there's an easier way to just display 9 products per page, using a datafeed that has 9000 products. Which means there would be 1000 pages which each have 9 products on it.

Could this be done with IF statements?

Also, with the way that you're currently doing it, (creating Category NBR), do you have any tips with making this easier to do in Excel?I wonder if there is some function you can use to make it faster because manually entering BallsPoints, Ballpoints1, etc. is a hassle especially if you have a datafeed with lots of products.

I have not really looked into using IF statements. However I do have a favorite Excel shortcut to simplify the process of creating "CATEGORY NBR." Check Excel HELP for information on consolidating or combining data.

1) For starters, let's assume that your "CATEGORY" information is in column "C" of an Excel spreadsheet.

2) Create two blank columns, "A" and "B"

3) At the top of column "B" (in row 2) enter the formula =(C2&""&A2). This takes the data from column "A" and appends it to "D". Copy this formula down your entire spreadsheet. Since there is not any data in Column "A" at this time, Column "B" and "C" will be identical.

4) Create a separate spreadsheet with the numbering cycle that you want to use. In your case, since you want 9 products per page, you will want to create a column 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, and so on. This can be created quickly using an "add one" function (after entering the initial 9 ones).

5) Copy this column of numbers and paste it into column "A" on the first spreadsheet. Use the "Paste Special" function to paste the information in as a value or text (rather than as a formula.

6) And Voila! The data in column "C" will become 9 ballpoints1, 9 ballpoints2, etc.

7) Proceed down the "C" column to paste in the 123 numbers into column "A" for all the large categories that you want to split into groups of 9.

8) Once you have column "C" the way you want it to look I would suggest "backing up" the changes by copying and pasting the entire column into a new column "D" using the "Paste Special" function to remove the formula. Label this field "CATEGORY NBR"

The other key to making this approach work is that the WM settings file used to create the index pages for thoses categories. On the index tab you need to first select "Serialized Names" and set "Make a new index page when Value in this Field Changes: CATEGORY NBR." Then, select "Name based on contents of field" and also set it to "CATEGORY NBR"

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>4) Create a separate spreadsheet with the numbering cycle that you want to use. In your case, since you want 9 products per page, you will want to create a column 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, and so on. This can be created quickly using an "add one" function (after entering the initial 9 ones).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Frank! Thank you very much for taking your time to post about this. I was hoping you could expand on the "add one" function. How would I use it to make the 4's, 5's, 6's and so on?

No problem.

1) In a new spreadsheet, and starting in cell A1 enter the number 1 nine times (cells A1 to A9)

2) In cell A10 enter the forumla =(A1+1).

3) Copy Cell A10 to the next 100 cells (or so) below A10 (as far as you want to go).

4) Voila. You should end up with a series of 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s . . . 11s in groups of 9.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

http and a telephoto
    Richard, can you "sticky" this thread so it doesn't get lost? We really need it, even though I am still baffled by multiple levels. I need to keep reading this until I get it right

IndexLabel has me confused, it didn't link to anything and there were BIG spaces (gaps) between category names.

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast