Hi! I'm a new WebMerge user. I just downloaded the trial copy last night and was very impressed, and mad at myself for not having tried it months ago. I paid for the real version today and am having one problem I didn't notice last night however.

On my index page template I am using:
    [WM-Record cols=3 width=500]
    stuff in here including some basic html tags
    [/WM-Record]

to create multiple columns of data. I have the file names for index pages being generated by 'Name based on contents of field'. I chose the field 'category'. As an example imagine I only have two categories - widgets and gadgets. It creates two files just like it should: widgets.html and gadgets.html, the only problem is that on the index pages only one product appears. With one exception, one category shows 2 products. (They all have multiple products in each category.) The one product that shows, is the last product based on alphbetical order. For example, on widgets.html the only product showing is z-widgets, a-widgets and all the ones in between are not there.

All the detail pages are being generated and as far as I can tell (I've only looked at a few - there are around 400 of them) they are all ok.

Would this have anything to do with the fact that the records in the file are not sorted based on the field 'category'? FOr example, in the category column they are ordered:

widget
    gadget
    gadget
    widget
    gadget
    etc.

The only other thing I could think of would be where in the Help files it says in 'Name based on contents of field':

'WebMerge will use the first 27 characters of data in the specified naming field, so be sure you choose a field which is not likely to contain duplicated data across records. If the same data appears in your specified naming field in more than one record, each page generated with that name will overwrite any previously generated ones with the same name.'

If this is it I must not be understanding something fundamental about the index file naming section.

I tried changing my index file template to be like:
    <table border="0" width="400">
    [WM-Record]
    <tr>
    <td>[WM-Field: Thumbnail]</td>
    <td>[WM-Field: Name]</td>
    <td>Price: $[WM-Field: Price nolink]</td>
    </tr>
    [/WM-Record]
    </table>

to eliminate any problems caused by needing WM to create the table for me. It did the same thing, only z-widgets shows up on the index page. This makes me think even more that it is a problem with the index file naming rather than anything in the template.

Any ideas?

Here are two things to check:

1) The Category field needs to be sorted so. Either do this in Excel before you export the file (which is what I do), or use the sorting feature within WebMerge.

3) The other thing to watch out for is to make sure that there is no duplication between your Category and SubCategory fields. You only mentioned using "Category" so this shouldn't be the problem that you are having. However, it is something to watch out for when you try a three or four tiered website.

Widgets Green
    Widgets

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Here are two things to watch out for:

1) The Category field needs to be sorted so. Either do this in Excel before you export the file (which is what I do), or use the sorting feature within WebMerge.

3) The other thing to watch out for is to make sure that there is no duplication between your Category and SubCategory fields. You only mentioned using "Category" so this shouldn't be the problem that you are having. However, it is something to watch out for when you try a three or four tiered website. For example, the following will create problems if you try to sue Subcategory to create a file name as one "Green.html" will overwrite another "Green.html"

Category SubCategory
    Widgets Green
    Widgets Red
    Gadgets Green
    Gadgets Read

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.comhttp://bemo...if/CQ32x32.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Thank you Frank! That did it - I needed to sort the category field!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread