Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    I just got WebMerge and have my first couple of site projects lined up, but who gets to be next? Do any of you have a basic template for *your* program set up so we can get a "quick start"?

I know that all of us that purchase WebMerge are brillant coders and can certainly make our own templates, BUT, how to decide which sites to build first? My vote will go to the ones that are easiest to set up first and foremost, after the sites that offer me a bonus for getting up and running of course.

A basic template with tags in place that I can modify to my own look and feel would go a long way towards getting my "superstore" off the ground and give me more time to promote and add content I have read that there are certain programs that are very difficult to set up, does someone have the template and the modifications to the datafile detailed somewhere so the next person doesn't have to reinvent the wheel?

I don't want totally finished sites handed to me on a platter, we don't want all our sites to look alike of course! Just looking for building blocks.

So how about it? Any affiliate managers have a template to share or might be able to come up with one?

Debbie

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

Hi, we have some pretty groovy content pages with all of our dental plans...will this work for ya? Have you ever promoted our program?

Evan Weber, Director of Marketing
    DentalPlans.com, Inc.
    <a href="http://www.dentalplans.com/affiliate">Earn $50 per sale with one of the best converting offers online! </a></b>
    954-923-1487 ext. 105
    evan@dentalplanscorp.com

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan - DentalPlans.com:
    Hi, we have some pretty groovy content pages with all of our dental plans...will this work for ya? Have you ever promoted our program?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I am looking for WebMerge templates to use with datafeeds. Do you have that? Content is great too, but first gotta get the products up, then build the content around it

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

I have some concerns about this suggestion. I think that having affiliate managers provide such templates could dilute the work of serious WebMergers.

We all know that there is a significant learning curve for Webmerge (both conceptually and technically). The effort required in mastering WebMerge, in a Darwinian fashion, helps to produce the “survival of the fittest” WebMergers. I don’t think that we should make it too easy for WebMerge Newbies.

As Deborah correctly noted, “We don't want all our sites to look alike of course!” I fear, however, that the some of the “go-for-the-fast-bucks” Newbies will be sorely tempted to not respect this principle, and will begin clogging the Internet with a bunch of look-a-like WebMerge generated websites.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for sharing tips and helpful hints for serious WebMerge affiliates, and have already posted a few ‘lessons learned” in this discussion group. However, let’s not make it TOO easy for the Newbies!

Have a Creative Day!

FRANK, bemorecreative.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ditto what Baertracks said.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

http and a telephoto
    While I respect your opinions, I am not asking for a "site on a platter" but making a reasonable request for something that should already be available.

WebMerge still has a learning curve, and your attitudes actually reflect the kind of thinking that goes along with "lets keep it all to ourselves".

The web is a big place, poorly constructed sites whether they use templates or are built by hand, will not survive. There are a lot of bad web sites, including many built with WebMerge. Basic templates are a step up from offering the datafeeds to begin with. Why bother having datafeeds and tools at all?

This is a WebMerge forum, and a place for affiliates to offer help for each other. Templates are an industry standard and could only help to "raise the bar" on the created sites.

My request stands, and if Affiliate Managers don't want to offer public templates, then email me privately. dc@loxly.com

Do you remember when you were a newbie too? Did you ask for and recieve help? I am not new to affiliate marketing, I am not new to database sites. I am simply requesting that if you have a datafeed, and you want people to use them appropriately, here is another way to give your program a "leg up".

I guess I really don't expect other affiliates to share after all, but I see a tremendous opportunity for Affiliate Managers to give their programs a boost.

Bad presentation, good presentation or no presentation. Which do you choose???

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

I agree... some building blocks sure would br nice...

I for one have passed on WebMerge... because
    I have not been able to figure out how to use it...

a good example of being suplied with building blocks are cdittys scripts...

no one in there right mind would use the template supplied with those scripts...

but they do lessen the learning curve...

after all who has the time to spend weeks learning how to use a peice of software...

I have spent weeks only to have failed...

my money stays in my pocket till the tutorial
    is updated so a complete newbie who have never build a webpage but, is of average intelligence
    and has great desire...

can use the software to build basic templates...

all that needs to be suplied is the core database stuff... the top and bottom are on us!

JOe

SHH... I'm tryin to sleep...

ABW Ambassador
    I dont see this as any different than AM's offering a common set of keywords for ppc or even offering a generic datafeed.

I may not like the idea of standard templates but the reality is that only the AM has the empowerment to make the decision and even respectible ones here will opt for "getting additional promotion in just about any circumstances".

How many AM's use CDity's scripts and how many newbee affiliates really do modifications on them? I've seen a bunch of copycat sites where they are all the same but the color and a domain name and I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain to an AM about it. Is this really any different? Perhaps someone can enlighten me where a predefined template from cditty is different than a predefined webmerge template for a datafeed on behalf of a merchant "or someone else". I don't see it myself.

I doubt a small group of affiliates issuing "statements of concerns" will cause this to not happen in the not to distant future. Heck, let me put in a poke and say I might even do it myself. Just kidding

If I had to make a bet, I'd say it won't be to long and you'll see someone stepping up and offering templates either for a fee or merchants doing it for free and existing webmerge users will likely be sent scambling. I think I'm going to enjoy watching this one develop myself.

** Have you asked for change? **

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    The web is a big place, poorly constructed sites whether they use templates or are built by hand, will not survive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poorly constructed sites may not survive, but whether they survive or not isn't really the problem.
    They clog up the SE listings with page after page of anodyne content, and, once up, they stay up for years (or until they are removed from the index), and there is a steady stream of new sites replacing them and being added to them...

Datafeeds, and the other 'automation' tools make it much easier for people to create such sites more easily and more quickly, gradually polluting the internet, annoying surfers, etc.

I think that's the concern of many people here.

I'm not on a high-horse here, I've been dabbling in this area myself, and I'm trying to decide whether or not the web is better off for my efforts.

Probably not, if I'm honest. By the time I can do this well I'll probably have learned PHP and will be doing everything myself anyway.

Poon is right, but I will be sad to see SE listings clogged up too. And that is exactly what will happen.

I don't think anyone will step up, so we'll leave it at that.

Go make your own pages, you'll be better for it (and so will we).

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I think I'll create and market for 49.95 a CD with the top 10 affiliate commission earning web sites on it. Give the buyers 2 simple options. Type in domain name and tag line to generate a top of page title graphic and choice of primary colors for template. Pay 59.95 and get choices of earth tone colors and profit sharing Gator/SearchScout search bar in top of page template.

For 29.95 I autosubmit to 10,000 carefully selected SE's to make sure your new site gets e-mailed on all the latest SEO/SEM tricks.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Datafeeds, and the other 'automation' tools make it much easier for people to create such sites more easily and more quickly, gradually polluting the internet, annoying surfers, etc.

I think that's the concern of many people here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw!

The only problem with the first CD from MikesSarcasticOffers.com is the copyright issue...those original top 10 people would have quite a problem with that offering! (No thanks on the Gator CD or the offer to cause spam from 10,000 micro-engines. )

What we need is a disk that'll autogenerate UNIQUE sites, no 2 sites alike, now that'd be the ticket...

http and a telephoto
    Hopefully now that the holidays are over some *Affiliate Managers* will enter the conversation.

Tools are tools and smart affiliate managers will continue to make good tools available. Why offer WebMerge and datafeeds to the public at all? So people can create *targeted*, content rich web sites that are different from the parent company. I have a large number of web sites targeted to specific audiences and they enjoy *targeted* traffic.

Now, as an affiliate I would like to spend my time taking a template for a company, and concentrate on building a site that appeals to my audience, adding content that appeals to my audience and NOT spend my time on the basics of making a template that puts the datafeed info where it needs to be.

I am amazed that this doesn't exist already, and I am amazed that the people that offer scripts of their own haven't jumped on the bandwagon.

As far as search engine flooding, well, you have to add content to your sites and optimize them to stay ahead of the crappy pages. There are already and will always be the crappy pages full of banners and graphics instead of text that will be at the top of the heap, but they will not stay there. Keep your own site fresh, advertise other places and you won't worry so much about the almighty search engine frenzy. Surfers DO know how to use the back button to go off crappy sites and back to search engine results AND they are learning how to enter different key words if their search brings them to crap.

Ready or not, templates will be emerging. They are yet another building block and are a natural progression.

Database-&gt;Script-&gt;Template to use Script and Database in harmony

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Datafeeds, and the other 'automation' tools make it much easier for people to create such sites more easily and more quickly, gradually polluting the internet, annoying surfers, etc.

I think that's the concern of many people here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The internet is already polluted LOL, lets get the tools to make BETTER sites and work on cleaning up the pollution!

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

You are not concerned about the Internet. I think you want to make money the easy way. Terrible sites are good for your business. If there are so many crappy sites, create the perfect template yourself. Show us you are better.

What will be your next request. Merchants offering reliable server space and updating the sites themselves. This is also in their interest. Or maybe merchants should create complete sites for you.

I am still a bit of a newbie but making progress because I am working hard, studying, trying and making mistakes. If others do all your work, you’ll never learn Webmerge or how to create templates. You will always be a newbie and you will always need help.

If you have problems in creating templates ask the members and they will help you. But don’ ask others to do your job.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uphill:
    You are not concerned about the Internet. I think you want to make money the easy way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is rude and uncalled for. Go crawl back under your rock. When I build a template I will share it, unlike the rest of you that are so territorial. Do you have one of the bad websites and are afraid of competition?

If you disagree, you can do so without being nasty.

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

Affiliate Manager
    One use for templates, my long-standing offer is still open:

If someone has time to put together an example set of data feed, templates, and settings files for a multi-tier affiliate site I would gladly include it in the WebMerge package. You would be much loved by WebMerge newcomers, you'd get some exposure for your design work, and I post my Help pages at my site so you might get a few extra hits too.

Please email me if interested.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    Datafeeds, and the other 'automation' tools make it much easier for people to create such sites more easily and more quickly, gradually polluting the internet, annoying surfers, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inappropriate use of any technology can be a bad thing. There's no way to design a useful hammer that can't be used as a weapon as easily as for building a home. And once upon a time box cutters were just for cutting boxes.

WebMerge is merely a tool, and a very useful one. Used appropriately it can save thousands of hours a year, as it's been doing for many people the last three years (it turned three in mid-December; Happy birthday WebMerge!).

DreamWeaver, FrontPage, WebMerge -- all of these can be used to make junk just as efficiently as they can create valuable pages. Any attempt to limit that potential would also hinder their usefulness for pages that add value to the Web.

As with most things in life, it's up to the individual's integrity and goodwill to determine whether a site will honor the vendor whose feed their using by adding value at their site, making pages that provide a unique focus and additional content that contributes to the larger Web community.

I think that's where prefab templates may pose bigger potential risk for "Web pollution" than the tools that use them, whether FrontPage or WebMerge: WebMerge is very flexible, allowing you to express yourself with your template designs to create a unique experience, linking into the value-adding portions of your site like articles, tips, reviews, etc. If everyone uses the same feed AND the same templates without additional value-adding content and/or a unique product focus, the Web would truly only need one such site.

Fortunately I think most of the affiliates here recognize that building trust with customers means working hard to provide them with a good reason to come back. Whether you represent others' products in a brick-and-mortar store or on the Web, successful businesses rely on more than just location to keep customers happy and in a buying mood.

Indexbots and people are very different entities; indexbots only need to find links, but customers need to feel catered to. Getting hits is important, but far more important is converting those hits into sales, and that requires a uniquely human touch.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jan72:
    If you don't like to spend the time to create your own template's in order to be unique for any company that give you a datafeed, then just copy and paste anybody template and add to the duplicate sites on the web, good luck.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tips, but this statement above again shows that you are not understanding what I am asking for. Fourthworld made 2 really good posts, I hope people read them and understand them.

I will take the time to make custom templates, I would like to see the &lt;b&gt;section with the tags in it available from each affiliate program&lt;/b&gt; so that I can concentrate on building the content and design elements. Each feed is different and if the Affiliate Manager for each program created one simple template for their own feed, those elements could be customized and plugged in to existing site designs, or new designs created around them.

I agree that Fourthworld is right stating that the affiliates that are going to use WebMerge are going to hopefully be smart enough to customize any template that is available to them.

I have 40+ datafeeds available to me, I am creating 3 sites this weekend that are the simplest to format. Which store will be next? The one that has &lt;b&gt;tools&lt;/b&gt; to get me going. If there are none, then I will pick one arbitrarily and build a template myself. And FourthWorld will get a copy of it. But it will take me a couple of months at that rate to get all the sites up. Which program wants promotion and sales now and which one wants to be the one that goes up in 2 months or gets left behind because I get busy with another project and don't bother...

And as also stated:

"The top and bottom are up to us"

Debbie

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I take it Debbie that you'd not even be in affiliate marketing if it required any skills to build out a well designed shopping site. Just like the 5-10 page BHO parasite sites require no HTML or graphics skills (just a text directory & signup info) as they are just fronts for parasitic browser spammers, so too do most greed driven affiliates seek SE spam food datafeeds.

The idea that affiliate value-add reseller marketing can be diluted to the point that SE spammers, e-mail spammers and the BHO spammers are the ones determining who gets paid commissions ...sucks. Sure will be nice when Google seeks out and bars sites who are nothing but poor carbon copys of a merchants site.

We have enough trashy shopper un-friendly merchant sites, which are nothing but a distributors CD database of of inventory, puked onto a datafeed cart/e-catalog structure to last a lifetime. Now the entry into being a merchant vs. an affiliate is getting more blurred as merchant posers are a dime a dozen. Thank God the networks are raising the merchant entry costs and Google/Froogle, Yahoo -MSN and AOL are making sure only real fulfillment merchants get a premier product listing.

Once the sleezebag greedy affiliates get ahold of a valuable tool like datafeeds they will poor a huge glut of identical listings into the SE's. It is stupidity in motion for any AM to allow any newbee, without a bookmarkable site, to crank out 600,000 pages of SE fodder. Those hundreds of sleezebags launching 40 sites a week will actualy kill off the datafeed pros when the Serps catch onto the newest spam game in town.

What's the defining nature of a value-add affiliate reseller. Currently it is the one who is most adept at spamming. I can truthfully say I haven't seen a single outstanding affiliate web site in 2 years from clicking on a Google link. Mine is no exception and I'll be damn if putting 500,000 effortless product pages into EcomCity is the answer. Affiliate Ad Whore mindset leds to parasites, e-mail spammers, SE spammers and tricks for clicks cookie setting abusers. Then ABW will waste web ink on bashing the tricksters while the honest AM's tear their hair out they can't get folks to put up Mini- showcases, pre-sell spin, DRMs and daily updated specially priced product displays.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I take it Debbie that you'd not even be in affiliate marketing if it required any skills to build out a well designed shopping site. Just like the 5-10 page BHO parasite sites require no HTML or graphics skills (just a text directory & signup info) as they are just fronts for parasitic browser spammers, so too do most greed driven affiliates seek SE spam food datafeeds.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What??? Is this just you being sarcastic? I certainly hope so, since it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and shows a total lack of comprehension of what I began this thread asking for and where it has headed.

I am not the greatest web builder, but I am far from the worst. I have sites that make me money and I have sites that are educational and full of resources for the public. I am hoping to build shopping sites now to compliment those sites and to be able support keeping those sites online. I purchased programs, I support open source, I use what works to make a good site.

Is this forum no more than a bashing chamber? I thought it was a place for affiliates to come to learn and share and a place for affiliate managers to *also* learn and share.

I'd go back to lurkdom, but that is what some of you want, you want the rest of the world to go away and leave you to your own fiefdoms where you can rule the affiliate world.

Wake up, there are tools, like WebMerge, Cusimano's scripts, Scripts4yoursite and others, and smart affiliates are finding them.

You can slow down my progress, you cannot stop it.

Again, where are the affiliate managers? Maybe Monday they will be back at work and someone will decide they want to help their affiliates present their datafeeds in an organized fashion instead of waiting for them to muddle through and maybe make a sale or two 3-4 months from now.

Truthfully, FourthWorld should be very concerned about the future of their software from the tone this topic has taken.

However, it is only a few voices that are being rude and nasty, there are other voices buried in the heap saying "hear, hear!"

Who will the affiliate managers listen too? The naysayers or the folks saying that if they had a little help they would be able to present products in a positive way, with a new spin, to shoppers that are interested but didn't know about them before.

And I believe in offline advertising, the search engines are NOT THE ONLY WAY TO GET TRAFFIC AND MAKE SALES.

If search engine flooding is killing YOUR business, you need to look at other ways to advertise your business. Wake up, not everyone shops online yet, not everyone uses a search engine to find stuff and not everyone clicks on those annoying links in those annoying emails! So pay for some offline advertising, write some press releases, add content to your sites that makes it different from all the clones.

This whole topic ISN'T ABOUT SEARCH ENGINES AND SPAMMING AND FLOODING THE MARKET. It is about TOOLS and BUILDING BLOCKS.

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks
    http://cool-networks.net

[This message was edited by loxly on January 03, 2004 at 06:08 PM.]

http and a telephoto
    BTW, I don't need your traffic, I have my own!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just got WebMerge and have my first couple of site projects lined up, but who gets to be next? Do any of you have a basic template for *your* program set up so we can get a "quick start"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes let us know if you do this merchants. Then I can spend my time building for merchants who don't do all the work for the affiliates. Less competition to deal with that way.

ABW Ambassador
    This is funny because what it really boils down to is people not using webmerge effectively want to be able to and people who have spent the time to learn it effectively don't want competition to be enabled so easily.

We all have the same banners avalable to us, we all have the datafeeds available to us but please.... but for crying out loud don't make it so easy for everyone to use them by providing templates.... It's only affiliates who have already spent time and energies in learning webmerge and time and efforts providing marketing coverage for a merchant who would say this IMO. These same people saying no..... would be the first ones to use new templates from merchants they dont already have coverage for.

Since AM's look for ways to get additional promotion from more affiliates (in many cases their income is tied to the results of sales), I'll repeat that I expect someone to step forward. The competiton is intensifying and suggest it always will.

Clone sites will be eventually taken care of by the serach engines with or with out standard templates being provided. The availiability of ready made templates in webmerge and the mass use of them may just speed up the detection and removal of them.

Bring on them templates please - LOL.

** Have you asked for change? **

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast