I've been using WebMerge for a couple of years now. From my first experience with it, though, I noticed that if I was connected to the Internet, it would generate pages very slowly. That was back in my dial-up days. I would see it was running slowly (from the very first record), and abort. Disconnet from the Internet, and start again. Zoom!

Now I'm on wireless broadband connection and am connected all the time. 176 records takes 1621.7 seconds to generate. The pages themselves are rather small, only 2-4K. The file folder into which these records are generated is always emptied before I start.

There are no errors in the error log.

I'm using Windows 98, WebMerge 2.1

Any ideas?

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dagmoon:
    I've been using WebMerge for a couple of years now. From my first experience with it, though, I noticed that if I was connected to the Internet, it would generate pages very slowly. That was back in my dial-up days. I would see it was running slowly (from the very first record), and abort. Disconnet from the Internet, and start again. Zoom!

Now I'm on wireless broadband connection and am connected all the time. 176 records takes 1621.7 seconds to generate. The pages themselves are rather small, only 2-4K. The file folder into which these records are generated is always emptied before I start.

There are no errors in the error log.

I'm using Windows 98, WebMerge 2.1

Any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Few, I'm afraid. This issue has not been reported before, and I don't have a machine here with Win98 to test on (six computers for testing here, even one with Win95, but none with that specific OS version).

There should be nothing in the program logic requiring an Internet connection other than posting your reg code when you first register the program and of course when uploading pages with it's built-in FTP.

Given this, I'm inclined to believe we may be seeing an interaction with other system components in which the relationship to the Internet connection is merely incidental.

Are you generating several thousand pages to a single directory?

Does the per-page performance increase on smaller runs (use the "Test Mode" options set to 20 or 50 records)?

Do you have any non-Microsoft software that may be controlling your ports (Norton Internet Protection, McAffee, etc.)?

Also, do you have any machines available to test on with a more recent version of the OS?

Feel free to give me a call so we can diagnose this further if you like.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread