View Poll Results: IF you use WebMerge what tool do you currently use to clean up your data feed?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • M$ Access

2 16.67%
  • M$ Excel (what version?)

9 75.00%
  • MySQL

1 8.33%
    What type of application (program) do you use to either properly format or cleanup your merchant feeds? If the tool you use is not listed, go ahead and write it in

Please do not vote if you are not using WebMerge.

Thanks,

Fred

I use one or all of these programs: WordPad, Notepad, FrontPage

sometime in order to:
    Find what:
    Replace with:

That's how I cleanup some merchant feeds before I make the final pages with WebMerge.

Sal.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    I use one or all of these programs: WordPad, Notepad, FrontPage

sometime in order to:
    Find what:
    Replace with:

That's how I cleanup some merchant feeds before I make the final pages with WebMerge.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A nice find and replace are in development, possibly for v2.5 or v3.0, along with a database viewer.

Questions:
    - How useful would it be to be able to store search-and-replace criteria to apply whenever a settings file is run?

- What other alterations to your source would be useful?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

One task that I usually encounter in preparing datafeeds for a multi-tiered website is making sure that there is no duplication between fields used in the tier-making process, e.g., using WM to create files (and product tables) using on the Category and Subcategory fields.

For example, if your datafeed has Categories "Boys" and "Girls" and a subcategory "socks" within each of those categories, then as WM creates files (and product tables) using the "Subcategory" field, you could end up with pictures/names of girls "socks" in the table of the page labeled "boys.html".

I think this might be a function that could be added to WM, e.g., to append a prefix letter to a field whenever it identifies this kind of duplication. I'm not sure how difficult this would be (or how useful to other WebMergers), but it might be another potential area for some elegant programming by Richard.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

"- What other alterations to your source would be useful?"

How about a sort function in the new database viewer?

I think that will make the source easyer to manipulate and to make any final cleaning of the feed, before creating the pages.

Sal.

"One task that I usually encounter in preparing datafeeds for a multi-tiered website is making sure that there is no duplication between fields used in the tier-making process, e.g., using WM to create files (and product tables) using on the Category and Subcategory fields"

Frank ..

Another way around this problem that Richard may like to consider - give us the option to name files based on the contents of TWO fields

eg

[Field1]-[Field2].html

Field 1 would be the main catagory, Field 2 would be the subcatagory

As you say - this would avoid problems when having 2 identical names in the subcatagory field - even though they are in different main catagories.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If the tool you use is not listed, go ahead and write it in <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually I just use Works Spreadsheet, but sometimes the files are too big for that (Works cuts off somewhere around 16,500 records.). Then it's time for MySQL. I don't think there are any feeds big enough to choke MySQL! But I prefer Works for the basic cleanup stuff. Just enter the search/replace criteria into the box; no having to find the syntax for commands that I don't use enough to have memorized!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What other alterations to your source would be useful? ~Richard<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something to adjust capitalization. Not many feeds are affected, but there are some that put the entire Name field in all caps (or keyword field, and a couple that even do it with the *description* field, or all three AUGH!).

Tools that would a) Change it so only the first letter is capped, and b) change it to all lower case, would be appreciated. Whether it would change to first-letter caps or no-caps would be up to the user, since what is required depends on what field is in question. It would be even cooler if it had an option to only capitalize the first word in a sentence--great for those infernal ALL CAPPED DESCRIPTION fields!

I know this can be done outside of WM, but the more things that can be done with just a click or two the better.

It would also be nice if slashes in the field being used to name pages, were IGNORED unless WM was specifically told otherwise. Even now I still occasionally get the unpleasant surprise of folders instead of files! I would like to avoid that punishment that comes from running feeds while half-asleep...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

I'd add the ability to eliminate leading spaces in selected fields (or perhaps all fields).

They mess up alphabetical sorting by field.

Leader,

There is an excel macro that can be used to make all upper-case, all lower-case, or all proper case. I would give it to you, but I don't think it will work with M$Works

If others would like it, just say so, and I will post it.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

I use Open Office its FREE it can open huge files no problem (I have opened files with over 30,000 records) has great search and replace functions.

I can not think of one thing Excell has that Open Office does not, well maybe the couple of hundred bucks Excell is able to extract from ones bank account.

Fred give it a try it is far superior to M$ works

Another great freeware text editor I use is Crimson Edit.

tibbs

this is too ironic

i only use open office and crimson editor. its great and both are free. i love the find and replace in both

Funny

ABW Ambassador
    MickeySoft Excel 2000.

Fred...I'd be interested in that Macro...

Affiliate-Blog.com

Those functions work reasonably well. You first need to insert a new column. For instance if the column you want to change case in is a then click that column and highlight it and then click insert. You should then have a blank column a. Then in cell a1 use =lower(b1), which used to be your column a. copy that all the way down your spreadsheet and you have all your words in lower case. The only problem with that approach is if you then delete column b you lose what you just changed. The work around is to keep it or save it back to a text file and re-open it and then delete it. I personally find it simpler to highlight the column I want to change case in, copy it and paste into a ms word document and use the format&gt;change case function in that program.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I use Open Office its FREE it can open huge files no problem (I have opened files with over 30,000 records)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I downloaded that a while back. I was beating my head against the wall trying to get OO to open a .txt feed in spreadsheet format. It keeps opening them in "word processor" format (displaying the feed as if it was one big huge letter) no matter what I do! That's no good since I usually want to change the data in only 1 column, not the entire document. How do I force it to use the spreadsheet format? I ended up going back to M$ Works in frustration.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Fred;

I'd also like to see the macro. Thanks!

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Leader,
    Spring for a coupl huncred and buy ms office, you won't be disappointed. They're much more powerful than ms works.

Tibbs,

You may have misunderstood. I don't use M$Works, that was someone else. I use excel2000 on my win98 machine, and have had great luck with it. It easily deals with all but one of the largest feeds I use 70,000+ records. It is also an app that I know.

I use Open office on my second machine, a Linux box (Mandrake 9.2). I have not had very good luck with Open office and complex functions and macros. But as you may be able to tell, I am all for it. Both machines sit side-by-side, and I use the Linux box for operations that really need a robust OS.

Fred

Excel change case macro:

Just cut and paste into your Visual Basic editor (accessable from the "Tools-Macro" pull down menu).

```````````````````````````````
    Sub ChgTextCase()
    Dim strinput As String
    Dim strPrmt As String
    Dim strTitle As String
    strPrmt = "uppercase=1" & vbCr & "lowercase=2" & vbCr & "propercase=3"
    strTitle = "select text case"
    strinput = Application.InputBox(Prompt:=strPrmt, _
    Title:=strTitle, Default:=vbUpperCase, Type:=1)
    chgCase strinput
    End Sub

Private Function chgCase(strCase As String)
    Dim strPrmt As String
    Dim strTitle As String
    Dim objRange As Range
    Dim iR As Integer
    Dim iC As Integer
    Dim intRow As Integer
    Dim intCol As Integer
    Dim strCellTxt

On Error GoTo Err_Control
    strTitle = "Change Case of Cells"
    strPrmt = "Select cells to change case ('Ok' for All)"

Set objRange = Application.InputBox(Prompt:=strPrmt, _
    Title:=strTitle, Default:=ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Address, Type:=8)

intRow = objRange.Rows.Count
    intCol = objRange.Columns.Count
    For iR = 1 To intRow
    For iC = 1 To intCol
    strCellTxt = objRange.Item(iR, iC)
    If Not strCellTxt = "" Then
    objRange.Item(iR, iC) = StrConv(strCellTxt, strCase)
    End If
    Next iC
    Next iR

Exit_Here:
    Exit Function
    Err_Control:
    MsgBox Err.Description & Err.Number & " " & Err.Source
    Resume Exit_Here
    End Function

```````````````````````````````

Paste everything between the ```` marks.

Should then be available in your list of macros available. Best of luck.

Fred

leader all I do is rename the text file with an .csv extension

sil
    "this is too ironic

i only use open office and crimson editor. its great and both are free. i love the find and replace in both"
    Great minds think alike

I have been using both for 2-3 years now and would never go back too excell. I have also left IE behind in favour of Firebird. I would completely switch over to Linux if I could find a way to run dreamweaver on it, any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tibbs:

Another great freeware text editor I use is Crimson Edit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tibbs,

Thanks for mentioning the Crimson Edit text editor, I searched Google for the link and I downloaded the program. Thanks to sil for mentioning the editor too.

I tested one datafile and I liked the &lt;b&gt;Change Case to Adjust Capitalization&lt;/b&gt; and the &lt;b&gt;Find and Replace&lt;/b&gt; functions.

I'm posting the link here because I know some WebMerge users will find this program useful.

"While it can serve as a good replacement for Notepad, it also offers many powerful features for programming languages such as HTML, C/C++, Perl and Java." http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Sal.

Thanks Fred, tibbs and Mr. Sal.

The macro works fine, and Crinsom Editor looks like a great little program. Both progams will b nice additions to my toolbox.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thank you tibbs, Mr. Sal, Baertracks, and Fred,

Crimson Program works great. Great tip.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tibbs:

Another great freeware text editor I use is Crimson Edit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tibbs,

Thanks for mentioning the Crimson Edit text editor, I searched Google for the link and I downloaded the program. Thanks to sil for mentioning the editor too.

I tested one datafile and I liked the Change Case to Adjust Capitalization and the Find and Replace functions.
    /QUOTE]

Crimson is a fine tool, but I hate to see you folks working that hard. Rest assured that automatable search-and-replace for feeds is in development.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Do you know if Open Office Calc handle more than 65,000 records?

65,000 is reord limit for MS Exce. This creates problems in hanling large datafeeds. I know I can open them using ACCESS, but I would prefer an Alll-In-One program solution.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread