This may look like extra work but, <b>it could save you some headache or frustration later.</b>.

1 - If you have to add your affiliate ID to the links on the datafile, <b>do that first</b>. (Some merchants give you the feed with your affiliate ID already included on the links, others say that you must replace this (xxxxxx) or this (CJPIDHERE) with your affiliate ID.

2 - If you're going to use the tag [WM-Field: Description] on your <meta NAME="description" CONTENT="[WM-Field: Description]">, make sure that the (description) on the datafile is not enclosed in quotes, otherwise when you view source on your finished pages you will see this: <meta NAME="description" CONTENT=""Description""> Your meta tag <b>will have double quotes</b> on the description, so you must remove all those {"} from your datafile description area first.

3 - When you think you're ready to upload all the pages, try this first, <b>Upload only the index page and two or three detail pages only</b> but, if you have more than one index page, upload all the index pages and if you have more than two level of detail pages, upload two or three details pages of each level.

3b - The main reason that I say to upload only a few pages first is so you don't make the same mistake that I have done before and I admit that I had many headache and frustration before when I thought that everything was ready and I uploaded all the pages atonce, <b>later to find a few minor mistakes that now are a big mistake</b> and that had to redo everything again.

4 - When you create your templates and add extra links to other areas of your site like {menu, bookmark, feedbak, sitemap, etc,} so all the new pages have tose links, you want to make sure that all those links work from your new index pages and from your new detail pages work with out getting broken.

Depending on what you use to make your templates and where on your hard drive you place the new created pages before uploading those new pages, will make the difference if all those extra links will work or not once thy are live on the web. Notice that your pages may work ok on your Had Drive but, not ok when live on the web.

Example:

5 - If you're having trouble with some links like I did before, view the source code of the page with the problem on your HD and compare it to the source code of one on the web, sometime it's just a matter of adding or removing a link level dot like: { ../ or ../../ or ../../../ } on the templates, once you get one index page and one corresponding detail page to that index page with all the extra links working, you're ready to upload all the pages and not touch any until you need to update the datafeed.

Note for know-it-all people, while <b>all this explanation may sound stupid for some of us now</b> that we already know how to use WebMerge, I know that many here will find this info useful. If I had this info available to me last year I probably had saved many wasted hours of frustration myself.

Sal.

Affiliate Manager
    Great suggestions, Sal.

Sounds like it would be helpful for WebMerge to be able to modify the data feed to include the affiliate tag for you. How should that work?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Richard, most all of the datafeeds have different places and terms for the 'insert id' field.

Maybe a find and replace function within WM would solve this (and other) problems.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frank3iii:
    Richard, most all of the datafeeds have different places and terms for the 'insert id' field.

Maybe a find and replace function within WM would solve this (and other) problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy. Saveable find-and-replace actions to be applied across the whole data set is scheduled for v2.5.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Easy. Saveable find-and-replace actions to be applied across the whole data set is scheduled for v2.5.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You da best.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread