You have asked for suggestions to improve your product in several different threads. You have gotten some good ones which you intend to incorporate in future versions.

In one thread you said something to the effect of 'you folks are spending too much time doing this'. Suggesting that you could make WM do the task.

Some of the suggestions have a recurring theme. A need to do such and so, or can't get WM to do this without doing something to the DB.

How about this:

Incorporate a DB pre-processor in WM. The functions to be performed on the DB prior to WM doing it's real thing.

The pre-processor might be named something like 'DB preferences'. Allow the user to make changes to the DB such as: capitalization changes, removal or insertion of quotes, find & relace, remove leading/trailing spaces, remove empty rows, etc. (the real pro's likely have more/better suggestions here).

The operations performed should be DB specific, and allow for differing operations depending on the DB. Perhaps it would operate like a set of macros.

It should also be editable so dummies like me could repair errors in judgement.

What do you think?

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Another suggestions:

When I open Webmerge I would like to be able to maximize the window or at least have WebMerge remember the last position, because every time I open WebMerge, I have to move it up in order to see the last line where the test mode and the build pages buttons are.

And

If possible under Generated File Names Extension: = Record0001.html be able to change it to Record1.html and maybe just 1.html

Thanks

Sal.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frank3iii:
    How about this:

Incorporate a DB pre-processor in WM. The functions to be performed on the DB prior to WM doing it's real thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Already in development for v3.0. The engine to do that is coming along nicely. I did a test last week in which I was able to run five criteria against 40,000 records in just a few seconds.

Among other things you'll be able to create and save queries to run in multiple passes against multiple source files. It will also process folders of text and XML files as sources, both locally and on remote servers.

And it will support Unicode.

And be scriptable for those so inclined.

Anything else?

(okay, okay, back to work on v2.4 for me, but rest assured that a lot of the code changes needed to support the file naming flexibility which will be the focus of v2.4 will also pave the way for the DB engine later on).

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    Another suggestions:

When I open Webmerge I would like to be able to maximize the window or at least have WebMerge remember the last position, because every time I open WebMerge, I have to move it up in order to see the last line where the test mode and the build pages buttons are.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the resolution of your display?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If possible under Generated File Names Extension: = Record0001.html be able to change it to Record1.html and maybe just 1.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In development now as part of the changes for v2.4.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    I felt I should remind newcomers here that all this talk of future versions doesn't mean a lot of expensive upgrades. As our current customers can tell you, we've been giving away all upgrades since v1.0, and will continue doing so until v3.0. Even then, all upgrades available for a full year from purchase are yours for free, including v3.0.

So if WebMerge is useful for your work you can get started tody, and it just keeps getting better every few months with more free features.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Already in development for v3.0. The engine to do that is coming along nicely. I did a test last week in which I was able to run five criteria against 40,000 records in just a few seconds.

Among other things you'll be able to create and save queries to run in multiple passes against multiple source files. It will also process folders of text and XML files as sources, both locally and on remote servers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Swiss Army Knife for database builders.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frank3iii:

Among other things you'll be able to create and save queries to run in multiple passes against multiple source files. It will also process folders of text and XML files as sources, both locally and on remote servers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Swiss Army Knife for database builders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely. There will be something in WM3 for all Web builders, databasers, bloggers, group-contributor managers, and more....

--
    Richard Gaskin

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread