I'm using WM 2.3, and I've got a datasource of hotels in France - so there are numerous accented characters in the data fields. When I generate pages, everything works as expected EXECPT for file names (I want to use specified fields for file names). WM generates every accented character as an _ underscore. So, for example, the word "Hyeres" (accented first e) produces a file name "Hy_res".

Any ideas how to handle this so that the accents either stay in the file name OR the accented letter is simply treated as a normal unaccented letter.

I guess I could do a search and replace on the data to take out all accents, but I really don't want to do that if possible.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dbr1066:
    I'm using WM 2.3, and I've got a datasource of hotels in France - so there are numerous accented characters in the data fields. When I generate pages, everything works as expected EXECPT for file names (I want to use specified fields for file names). WM generates every accented character as an _ underscore. So, for example, the word "Hyeres" (accented first e) produces a file name "Hy_res".

Any ideas how to handle this so that the accents either stay in the file name OR the accented letter is simply treated as a normal unaccented letter.

I guess I could do a search and replace on the data to take out all accents, but I really don't want to do that if possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a tough one. I could make a lookup table to handle cases like that, but it would be huge given the many character sets out there, and would slow down performance.

If the characters in question are in the ISO-8959-1 character set I'll look into ways to do lookups for that one. I just hope it doesn't give folks the impression it will do all character sets, as that wouldn't be a practical solution.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Hi Richard,

(I assume you meant ISO-8859-1?)

Yes, in my case, that would work wonderfully. I can see that trying to support all possible character sets would be a major headache. If it is possible to do what you suggest I'd be really grateful!

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread