This is a CJ data feed. It doesn't look anything like the one in the tutorial and it is massive.
    I don't know what to do with the semicolons separating the categories.
    It is pipe delimited otherwise but WM doesn't seem to want to recognize the
    one field that has the smicolons in it.

PROGRAMNAME|PROGRAMURL|LASTUPDATED|NAME|KEYWORDS|DESCRIPTION|SKU|MANUFACTURER|MANUFACTURERID|UPC|ISBN|CURRENCY|SALEPRICE|PRICE
    |RETAILPRICE|FROMPRICE|BUYURL|IMPRESSIONURL|
    IMAGEURL|ADVERTISERCATEGORY|THIRDPARTYID|THIRDPARTYCATEGORY|AUTHOR|ARTIST|TITLE|PUBLISHER|
    LABEL|FORMAT|SPECIAL|GIFT|PROMOTIONALTEXT|
    STARTDATE|ENDDATE|OFFLINE|ONLINE

StreetBeatCustoms.com Auto Accessories|http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com|02/17/2004 09:17:41 PM|
    Ford Excursion 00-01; Door Sill ''Ford'', 2pc Rear|Ford Excursion 00-01; Door Sill ''Ford'', 2pc Rear|
    Fits Ford Excursion 2000 and 2001.|0001||trz3156fd1k1|||USD|
    0.00|89.95|0.00||http://www.qksrv.net/click-1374350-10273857?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.com%2Fstreetbeatcustoms%2F0001.html|
    http://www.qksrv.net/image-1111111-1...415|INTERIOR||
    INTERIOR;Door Sills & Step Covers;Ford Door Sills;Ford Excursion Door Sills|||||||||||||

In the Sources tab the field with all the semicolons shows up all in the same field so it seems like I
    can't make the different sets of pages because each cat doesn't have its own field. Any ideas?

I have found that most CJ feeds do not include any category information. Consider yourself lucky that you have something to work with!

I would handle this feed by first importing it into Excel using the pipe as the delimiter. This will put the category information into the ADVERTISERCATEGORY field (including all of the semi-colons).

Next, insert four or five new columns after the ADVERTISERCATEGORY column. Then use the Excel function DATA, TEXT TO COLUMNS to separate the information using the semi-colon as a delimiter.

This may, however, give you more "category" fields than you really want. You can then use the CONCATENATE function to recombine fields. This is described in another post within WebMerge. For example, you might recombine the four components of ADVERTISERCATEGORY to make a CATEGORY field (INTERIOR: Door Sills & Step Covers) and SUBCATEGORY field (Ford Door Sills: Ford Excursion).

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Thanks Baer.

But I don't have Excel, d'oh!

What I did was replace all the semicolons with a pipe. That moved each one of those fields into their own defined spot. However, the previous terms got a little messed up but I think I can work with it.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I now have extra pipes at the end of each entry. Seems like it doesn't make any difference but I'm not sure.

I agree that those extra pipes shouldn't cause a problem. They will simply define extra blank fields at the end of each record, fields that WM won't be reading anyway. Unless...

Are you certain that each ADVERTISERCATEGORY field gets split into the same number of "subfields" as you replace semicolons with pipes? If not, this would create a misallignment of data fields, and mess up WM's ability to read the data properly.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Hmm I think you are right. Not all entries have the same number of subfields.

Will doing this by using the excel method you mentioned above not have this problem?

Yes, the "Excel" method that I described using "Text to Columns" function will maintain the same number of fields for each records.

By creating four or five new columns to the right of the CATEGORY field, you are creating space to hold the new fields that will be created.

By the way, there are some free spreadsheet management alternatives to Excel (like Open Office) that are describeed in previous postings within this discussion group. Check out http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...2&m=6076056665

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Ok excellent I'm getting open office now.

Is there any way to get the feed to only have the ~850 or so records I want? I'd like to just get rid of all the other entries and only work with the ones in a single subcategory.

In the example above, I only want entries that are in the Door Sills & Step Covers subcategory.

Is this possible?

I have not personally used "Open Office" but I imagine that it is somewhat similar to working with Excel.

In Excel, you can use the "DATA, SORT" function to sort by Category. Then, copy all the records in in Door Sills & Step Covers subcategory, and paste them into a new spreadsheet. (Or deleted the records that you do not want).

By the way, there is a very nice "Filtering" option in Excel with which you can filter records by a keyword. You do not need this in your current situation, but it may come in handy in the future. You could, for example, use it to filter (select) all records that include the keywords "Door Sills" AND "Step Covers". It's a nice way to break down large datafeeds into specialized smaller feeds. Look to see if "Open Office" includes such a function.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Be aware that the spreadsheet in Open Office is limited to 32,000 records. This has been a "known limitation" since 2001, lotsa complaints about it on the web but no patches I've seen.

Just found that out the hard way.

-- Mike

You can use this handy little command.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    c:\progra~1\gnuwin32\bin\gawk.exe -F"|" {gsub(\";\",\"|\",$22);print $0} c:\my_feed_name &gt; c:\new_feed

</pre>

This will give you a new feed on c:\new_feed with all semicolons changed to | in the category fiel, putting each subcategory in its own field.

The assumption is that you have a program called gawk.exe installed on your computer.
    You can get it here:
    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gawk.htm

You would also have to change the my_feed_name to the name of your feed...

[This message was edited by jollygoodpirate on March 08, 2004 at 03:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by jollygoodpirate on March 08, 2004 at 03:45 PM.]

=========================
    Be aware that the spreadsheet in Open Office is limited to 32,000 records. This has been a "known limitation" since 2001, lotsa complaints about it on the web but no patches I've seen.
    =========================

That's too bad. I was hoping that Open Office might be an alternative to Excel's limitation of 65,000 records. Are there any other options spreadsheet-wise to handle large feeds. i'd prefer keeping everything in one program rather than importing it into a database program.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread