Table Problem
    I am using the following html

[WM-RECORD cols=4 width=440][WM-IndexLabel: Field_009]<font id="field_data">[WM-ImagePath: Field_006 nolink]<br>
    [WM-Field: field_009]</font><br>
    [/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-RECORD]

In the Webmerge template there are no errors I checked and re-check. After that I re-re-checked to error.

When I run the feed through webmerge the index that is generated looks horrible. Accoring to 2 different HTML chacking programs there is a missing table tag. Oddly enough the WM table that is created is ok but WM is eating a tag or something somewhere. Anyone have any pointers? Speak up Baertracks... you have proven to be a wealth of knowledge with WM.

Something Else
    When using the tag maker in WM 2.3 to make WM-Record tags, the following is made when trying to make tables

[WM-Record rows="3" width="300"]
    Stuff for each record goes here
    [/WM-Record]

Should that be rows or cols and should quode be used??

Best regards

Thanks,

Doug

Bye!

Ok here is what I found out after working on this a for the better part of the weekend.

There may be a problem in the way WM makes tables when using 'cols' and 'width' in the [WM-RECORD] It seems to work OK if the there is an even number of <tr> and <td> tags. Ex.12 items in fit evenly into a 3x4 table.

But....

If the number of items is 10 for example, the table will have 2 empty <td> tags and WM fails to close the last <tr> and <td>. Additionally ther is no closing table tag.

I cam to this conclusion after making a WM template using only <div> tags for content placement. The only tables tags were created by WM.

Richard and Baertracks can you double check this or can I send one of you some sample files to test?

Thanks,

Doug

Bye!

Doug;

This is, I think, the same problem was discussed in a previous posting at
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...445#2826047445

Here's a quck summary:

MICHELLE WROTE:
    In my index template, I am using nested tables to match the rest of my site layout. My index0001.html file displays perfectly, but every index0002.html etc. does not. There should be one big table then a smaller table of 3 columns nested within that one. On all the other index pages there is a huge gap between the 1st and 2nd columns of pictures. When I look at the HTML that WebMerge has output I find that the 3 column table is missing it's closing table tag. Once I insert that manually it displays correctly. Here is the code I am using on the 3 column table. Is it correct?
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 width=600]
    [WM-IMAGEPATH: Thumbnail]
    [WM-FIELD: Name]</B>
    [WM-FIELD: Price]</font></CENTER>
    [/WM-RECORD]

I RESPONDED:
    Very Interesting. Now that you mention this, I have encountered a similar problem. However, I thought that it was simply an HTML coding error that I had made in setting up the parent table to enclose the nested table. I just created a template similar to your nested table and reproduced the same problem that you are seeing. This sounds like a bit of a WM glitch.

The work-around solution that I found was to add an extra set of HTML codes in the template to close the table. In other words, the codes for closing the parent table become </td></tr></table></td></tr></table> instead of just </td></tr></table>. It's not pretty, but it solved the problem for me.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Frank,
    Do you have any thoughs on my original post in this thread with regards to the rows vs. cols in the tag maker??

Thanks,
    Doug

Bye!

Doug;

That's a bit strange isn't it? I must confess that I rarely use the tag maker function of WebMerge.

Both the "rows" and the quotation marks seem wrong to me. I just inserted quotation marks around my existing codes cols="3" width="800" and received runtime error message. Perhaps Richard can clarify what the purpose of this format is.

I would advise sticking to the cols=3 width=300 format if you want to spread your products across three columns. The number of rows will automatically be controlled by the number of product records in that category.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Ok thanks... The Tag Maker is really good for eliminating typing mistakes. They seem to hit me hard soo I really like the tag maker.

Thanks,

Doug

Bye!

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Both the "rows" and the quotation marks seem wrong to me. I just inserted quotation marks around my existing codes cols="3" width="800" and received runtime error message. Perhaps Richard can clarify what the purpose of this format is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did the error say?

I just double-checked both the examples in WebMerge Help and the code driving it in the program, and it would seems in both cases the program is documented to use "cols" as you would expect.

If a bug survived the six months of public beta testing I can fix it quickly in the 2.3.1 maintenance release coming soon. But with so many people successfully generating tables I wonder if there might be a problem with the template.....

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Richard;

==============================
    I just double-checked both the examples in WebMerge Help and the code driving it in the program, and it would seems in both cases the program is documented to use "cols" as you would expect.
    ==============================

You'll right (as usual). It was another change in the template that was causing the error messages. It works fine with quotation marks.

However, why is the tagmaker set to specify the number of ROWS rather than COLUMNS?

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    why is the tagmaker set to specify the number of ROWS rather than COLUMNS? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Programmer error -- just fixed for the next release.

Thanks for the report.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread