Hello

I have been reading through the threads here, a number of affiliates seem to use cookie stuffing tactics to get more clicks/cookies recorded. I see this method as possibly having a negative inpact in the long run as I am aware/believe google penalizes (or may start to) you for using redirects, javascript popups etc. Google aims for quality content pages without popups/redirects to annoy you. Also some merchants are beginning to kick off affiliates who do this, so in the long run they may end up earning zip.

The question I would like to know is what legitimate methods have you found to increase the number of visitors on your product pages who clickthru to the merchant.
    Do you put a big "Buy Now" button to increase the clicks?
    What about the a large "Buy now at ....." text link at the top somewhere to help?
    Or maybe some other sort of phrase?

I currently am getting about 20% of my visitors to a product page (it may contain the product name at the top, the image, with a description below). Is this a typical clickthru rate for honest non-cookie stuffing affiliates?

Shaughn

I filter my traffic to cj programs because they don't convert that well for me and I don't want to give them free traffic. I don't filter my amazon traffic beyond one page because amazon converts better.

In my physical store I could have 5 customers and they would spend $5,000 in an hour. I could have a tour group that might number 50 to 100 people and they would work my you know what off, and they might spend 50 cents. I mean seriously.

I'd rather have 5 rich women come in my store than a tour group. The rich women are a lot more fun. Trust me.

Regardless........

The cookie issue aside, I don't think clickthru rates are what makes a sale any more than a bunch of tour groups coming through town.

Chuck

quote:
    a number of affiliates seem to use cookie stuffing tactics to get more clicks/cookies recorded

actually, it is being done to rip the rest of us off. Not a search engine issue, I don't think.

and, welcome to ABW!

to continue:

where I use links to product pages of the CJ merchants, I change the "BUY" wording on the button to "More Info" as they're going to have to jump through some more hoops anyway.

I've had increased click throughs since using More Info... instead of a Buy button. I also noticed that if I had to reduce the size of the images I had better CTR. The smaller graphics entice a click to see the larger picture of the product.
    ~Ernie

Thanks people. I do have a "Find Out More, Click Here" text link at the bottom of everything (as well as allowing them to click on the images. I think I might try a "More Info" button higher up as well.

Internet Cowboy
    Or you could just join the cookie stuffers and BHO's.
    I am rapidly reaching the mindset that the farmer had when he stapled his nads together......if ya can't lick 'em, join 'em!
    Thanks....I'll be here all week!

--oww--

Just thought I would add that filtered pages very often become the landing pages from google if you do the links right.

Don't concentrate on clickthrus to outside sites!!!

buy buttons, more info buttons, non descriptive links.....too many links to outside sites.............yuck. I say yuck, but I've made some of those mistakes.

Again, I add, forget about clickthrus. They happen or they don't happen.

Instead, study google, make google your religion, live and die by google until something better comes along.

And yeah, I know where I sell my own stuff as well as promote advertisers I have a somewhat different perspective. But I still think what I am saying is valid regardless of perspective. Can you imagine the greeter at Wally World telling the customers to get the heck out of there and go shop down the street. Some sites that concentrate on clickthru rates are that rude and make the internet experience that bad!!! And it doesn't help any of our sales.

Chuck

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread