ABW Ambassador
    Hi There,
    I've been playing with this for the past 24 hours... I found that when I add
    [WM-RECORD][WM-FIELD: PRODUCTNAME nolink]
    [/WM-RECORD]
    in the header in order to build keyword tags it breaks the
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 width=640]
    in the body of the page..outputs each product on its own row...
    so I tried
    [WM-If CurrentRecordNumber mod 2]
    <tr><td align=center valign=top width=318>
    <p>[WM-IMAGEPATH: THUMBNAIL]<BR>
    [WM-FIELD: SUBCATEGORY]</p>
    </td></tr>
    [WM-Else]
    <tr><td align=center valign=top width=318>
    <p>[WM-IMAGEPATH: THUMBNAIL]<BR>
    [WM-FIELD: SUBCATEGORY]</p>
    </td></tr>
    [/WM-If]

thinking I would settle for just 2 columns.. but then it lost all of the "else" Table Rows...

Judith

ABW Ambassador
    I decided to just let both of the record tags create tables
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 width=800]

and now realize that it doesn't close the tables either... ;o(... so I have to manually close each table and remove the tables from the header of each page..

Judith

Yes the generated code works sometimes...
    and it won't always be the same missing code bits...

sometimes its different.

Check out the recent question/posting by Doug concerning table problems.

It sounds to me like the addition of an extra </td></tr></table> at the end of your coding may help you automatically close those tables. (It worked for me).

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

ABW Ambassador
    I think the program should close the tables by itself, if it creates them.

I also think that you should be able to use
    [/WM-RECORD]
    in the header AND the body of the page without breaking something.

Best regards,
    Judith
    a paying customer

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WebLady:
    I think the program should close the tables by itself, if it creates them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It usually does. Under what circumstances does it not close its table tag?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I also think that you should be able to use
    [/WM-RECORD]
    in the header AND the body of the page without breaking something. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed -- that's how it's designed. What issues have you had with using the WM-Field tag in the header?

You can have as many WM-Record tags as you like so you can have information from a given record placed discontiguously in your layout, such as different cells of a table.

There should be no difference in using a WM-Record tag in the header or the body, but perhaps that's the issue: do you really want the WM-Record section in the header replicated for each record? If not, just use the WM-Field tag by itself without containing it in a WM-Record section. That way you'll get only one record in the tag (the last record of those included on that index page).
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Richard,
    ok in the header I have :
    [WM-FIELD: CATEGORY nolink]
    [WM-FIELD: SUBCATEGORY nolink]
    [/WM-RECORD]

in the body I have:
    [WM-RECORD cols=4 width=640][WM-IndexLabel: SUBCATEGORY]
    &lt;p&gt;[WM-IMAGEPATH: THUMBNAIL]&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;font color="#000080"&gt;[WM-FIELD: SUBCATEGORY]&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
    [/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-RECORD]

what it spits out is:
    &lt;table width="640"&gt;&lt;tr&gt;
    1 column &lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;
    3 columns &lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;
    1 column &lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;
    3 columns &lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
    &lt;/table&gt;

this time it did close the table, because I only did 100 records to get some sample output..

when I change the table to 3 columns...
    &lt;table width="640"&gt;
    1 column &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
    7 columns &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;SUBCATEGORY&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
    0 columns &lt;tr&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
    &lt;/table&gt;

however as I stated above.. if I make the record in the header spit out a table too, the table in the body is just fine, but then I have to go back and remove the table tags in the header..

I have the products grouped together on the subcategory pages.. when I tried to use a table for that
    header:
    [/WM-RECORD]

body:
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 width=640]
    [WM-FIELD: PRODUCTNAME nolink]
    [/WM-RECORD]

I got:
    &lt;table width="640"&gt;
    &lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign="top"&gt;Product&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
    &lt;tr&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;
    &lt;/table&gt;

when I run the program with more than just a sample of records it doesn't close the table, it leaves an open row (30+ records on the same page).

Thank you for your timely reply,
    Judith

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WebLady:
    when I run the program with more than just a sample of records it doesn't close the table, it leaves an open row (30+ records on the same page).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Interesting circumstance. I'd like to give it a closer look. It's possible that it's a bug related to the unique combination of tags you're using. But it should be made to work, so if you'll kindly send me an email with your template, settings file, and a &lt;2MB sample of your source I'll see what I can do. If it's a bug I should be able to fix it in just a few days.
    Richard Gaskin

WebLady,

Please indulge me for a moment regarding your header problems.

From the looks of it, you are trying to insert every "PRODUCTNAME" in the entire data feed file into the header. At least, that's what the code you have will try to do (if this is an index page).

If you are just trying to insert one "PRODUCTNAME" record into the header, then the code would look like this:
    [WM-FIELD: PRODUCTNAME]

I am making an assumption that this is a detail page, and not an index page? Although, you have the "nolink" option in the tag, so I am not sure.

You can build keywords by ganging WM-Tags in the header, like this:

[WM-FIELD: PRODUCTNAME],[WM-FIELD: MAIN_CATEGORY],[WM-FIELD: SUB_CATEGORY],[WM-FIELD: MANUFACTURER].

Assuming you have put this in the keywords meta tag, the output might look like this in the finished page:
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;META name="keywords" content="FRS300 Cleaner,cleaning,floor cleaners,monsanto"&gt;</pre>
    Oops, gave something away there didn't I?

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Richard,
    I sent the file on March 26 at 9:30 am .. and also sent a note asking if you had received it on March 31, but haven't heard a peep back..

;o(..
    Judith

Affiliate Manager
    I sent the file on March 26 at 9:30 am .. and also sent a note asking if you had received it on March 31, but haven't heard a peep back.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I did. Between other support requests and the 4/4/04 anniversary the last several days here have been rather hectic.

As a general rule, if you don't get a bounce notice I got the email. In 10 years I've only had two exceptions to that.

As I've posted here before, I try to check in here to the user-to-user discussion forum daily but can't guarantee that I'll be able to. For urgent questions the phone is the best way to reach me, and in the US it's toll-free: 800-288-5825.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    I had thought I'd posted this earlier, but apparently not so here 'tis:

WebMerge reliably creates tables for hundreds of people around the world daily. Thus far the only distinction I can see in your code and the many working examples is that you have a table in conjunction with two WM-Record tags on the same page.

Multiple WM-Record tags are well supported, but having more than an automatically-generated table on the same page with multiple WM-Record tags is where you're finding the issue. In two years this is the first template I've seen attempting this, and while I agree it should be supported it helps explain why it hasn't been resolved earlier.

It may be the case that I'll need to do some deep revisions to the code. If so I may not have a solution for you immediately, as it will require adding it to the next release. So for the moment the best solution may be a different layout more akin to what others are using, at least until I can revise that portion of the code and put it through testing (table generation in conjunction with the WM-Record tag is not a trivial issue, and revisions much go through a rigorous testing suite before being released).

This user support forum is a wonderful resource, but when you need technical support from me please include all relevant information in an email. You sent your files, and now that I've logged back in here and copied your posts I finally have everything in one place. When all relevant information is together I can do a much more timely job of digging into the issue to resolve it.
    Richard Gaskin

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread