When I make changes to the templates, is there any way to update WM without having to re-upload all the files. Say if the feed is 11,000+, would I have to re-upload all of these in order to just have the templates reflect the new changes?
    thanks in advance

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fredollars:
    When I make changes to the templates, is there any way to update WM without having to re-upload all the files. Say if the feed is 11,000+, would I have to re-upload all of these in order to just have the templates reflect the new changes?
    thanks in advance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The option to maintain a listing of changed records for that purpose is in development, likely for v3.0.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Sorry, you will need to build and upload again.

If you make any changes to the templates, then those changes will be reflected in the finished files built by WebMerge.

The only time this might not work, is if the change only affected some of the completed files (long story there).

Fred

Thank you, this is what I suspected.

You could work around this using .php or .shtm pages depending on how complicated your template changes were. EG if the template change was simple say, to a header across all pages you could include the header as an &lt;include&gt; in the pages constructed by webmerge then just edit the header file.

For futher lay out changes you could design your intial template using CSS to avoid rebuilding your entire site.

If the changes are to the data and not the layout then yes, you will have to rebuild and repost.

Check some sites on CSS on seperating data and layout information.

How could you use .shtm with WM. It generates pages in .html

If you have a SSI footer at the bottom of the page in the WM template(s) for your, site don't they stop working? The page no longer has a .shtm ext to call your .asp pages.

Or am I missing something?

--Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Looks like I have found the answer to my own question. I haven't tried it yet, but on the Index Pages tap of WM it allows you choose a file ext on the lower half of the page.

Cool.

Looks like SSI is in the site after all.

--Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

you could also edit your .htaccess file to process .htm pages as .shtml .php, .asp or whatever.
    This would have the bonus of keeping the .htm in place.

Thanks Markschok, I can use the SSI and CSS, Great! Didn't even think how creative with this I could get.

If there are additions to a data set but not deletions you could simply put a different extension on your new build and the pages the .new extension would be the ones to upload and then change to .html or whatever you are using.

Trouble with the include of ...
    header.shtml....
    I have included a header.shtml on each of my pages, (templates: index,cat,sub,detail) and when uploaded the header disappears.
    Any ideas? I have full experience in this, and no what I am doing, I think WM is overwriting?
    thanks in advance.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fredollars:
    Trouble with the include of ...
    header.shtml....
    I have included a header.shtml on each of my pages, (templates: index,cat,sub,detail) and when uploaded the header disappears.
    Any ideas? I have full experience in this, and no what I am doing, I think WM is overwriting?
    thanks in advance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the local copy before uploading. If WebMerge is indeed overwriting its include please send me the files I'll need to reproduce it and I'll fix it.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread